How do I know what year these gauges came out of?

Be Careful.

On that particular cluster style (old school font), ONLY 1987 Model year is plug and play with Renix 4.0. Clusters '88 and later with -full gauges- are the modern font. So he is wrong on the year.

I have one installed in my '88 4.0L, and I pulled it from an '87 XJ Limited. '84-86 XJ's w/2.8L V6 were available with the exact same face style, however it's guts are different and it will NOT swap (I have one from an '84 XJ 2.8L sitting in my garage).

Ask for a picture of the back and post it here and I'll tell you if it will work.

My 90 originally came with a old school font gauge cluster with idiot lights and a big gas gauge. I got a full cluster with the old school font (just like the one on that ebay listing, I just like that style better) and the speedo input was the same, no mods needed, just as plug and play so to speak as any other renix gauge cluster.

If you are a little patient, I may be able to give you mine for free. It is for a Renix 4.0 and has the red fonts. All the gauges work. I have a blue font cluster I need to swap in. Assuming it works, you can have my red font Renix cluster. Just pay for shipping.

My 90 originally came with a old school font gauge cluster with idiot lights and a big gas gauge. I got a full cluster with the old school font (just like the one on that ebay listing, I just like that style better) and the speedo input was the same, no mods needed, just as plug and play so to speak as any other renix gauge cluster.

You got lucky and found an '87 Cluster. That year is the only swappable year for the full gauge old school font. :cheers:

Here's what I (think I) know:

87 through 90 clusters are all compatible. All 87 (with or without tach) had the old font, 88 through 90 without tach all had the old font, 88 through 90 with tach had the new font.

I currently have a full cluster with the new font in my 87 just because I liked having a tach (it already had all other gauges) and I though the humongous fuel gauge was tacky. But I would prefer the old font, as I found I don't like the new speedo. miles are ticked ever 2.5 miles, whereas with the old font every mile is ticked.

The holy grail would be a full gauge old font 120mph cluster. Does that even exist?

And here I thought the speedo cable clip was changed midway through 87?

I'd given an 88 cluster to 69camaroSS for his 87, and it didn't just plug in, so we figured he had an early 87.

I know my '87 MJ Pioneer with full gauges + tach has the "old" style lettering and the 1 MPH markings on the speedo, so it would be classified as an "early style" cluster. I have not checked to see which type of connector holds the speedo cable to the speedo head. It has always been my understanding that the old style is a "Type 1" cluster (1 MPH and 100 RPM ticks) and the new style (with the more modern numbers and ticks only at the 2.5 MPH and 250 RPM points) is a "Type 2." I've never heard of a Type 1 cluster that accepts the newer nylon push-on speedo cable.

I don't know if the change to the Type 2 cluster was in mid-year 1987 or if it was changed when they brought in the '88 model year. I have believed that it was a 1988 introduction, but I suppose it might have been a mid-1987 running change.

My 87 has a build date of November 86, which I assume means it's an early one. Original cluster was full gauges minus tach, speedo ticked every 1 mph. I switched it out for a full gauge cluster with tach, and the newer speedo ticked every 2.5 mph out of an 89 Cherokee. Swapped right in with and had the correct speedo hookup.

The bottom cluster was what came in my 87 XJ (Laredo).

It used the white push in style speedo cable connection.

Sorry if the 87' full pack is the desirable setup,

but mine went under the knife today :eek: (see Grandpa thread)

My 87 has a build date of November 86, which I assume means it's an early one. Original cluster was full gauges minus tach, speedo ticked every 1 mph. I switched it out for a full gauge cluster with tach, and the newer speedo ticked every 2.5 mph out of an 89 Cherokee. Swapped right in with and had the correct speedo hookup.

You're saying your speedo cable has the white nylon push-on retainer, and does NOT use a metal retainer?

Theres the OP Speedo on Ebay and I found this 1 earlier, the Seller says it a mechanical hookup. So which 1 should I go for? I have an 88.

here's a pic of the other 1 with the new style font.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=

and the Orgional

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWAX:IT