*sigh*...it happened again. eliminator content...

JeepcoMJ

I was driving, minding my own business, on my way to pick up the title to my brother's '89 comanche so a guy could come buy it today, when I saw something that caught my eye....a '99 4 cyl 2wd 5spd xj, and a comanche eliminator.

I did not want another MJ right now, and needed a DD xj...so I looked @ the xj...no dice. someone busted up the ignition on the column, when you do get it to run, the bellhousing lets out a godawful noise until you punch in the clutch. the front end was a bit smashed up, and he wanted $1000 for it. I offered 500 based off all the bad things, knowing I have the parts to make it 4x4 and fix it up, but no dice.

anyways, I stopped next door and asked about the eliminator...and bought it on the spot.

it's a 1990

5 speed (ax15)

4x4 (np231)

d35 rear

d30 front

3.07's

factory sunroof, decent headliner

split rear (broken pass. glass)

bucket seats

tonneau cover (probably in crap condition...it's sitting under the transmission, which is sitting in the back).

193,000 on the ticker.

trans was removed because of bad clutch and slave.

needs:

rockers

cab corners

rear wheel wells repaired.

BUT the floors are in very nice shape.

so, I'm gonna fix it and dd it.

pics:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

xj I didn't get

Image Not Found

grand total invested...$250. the rear bumper was brand new 2 years ago and hasn't been used to tow. factory fogs fell off, but wiring is there. she'll need a bit of attention but nothing I can't handle. best thing is, I sold my bro's old 89 4 cyl 5 speed with a complete 4.0 renix 4x conversion today for $450...and this is in better shape :D

so, oops...I did it again!

I'm hoping for one of those kind of deals. I really need a jeep with a good 4WD front end in it. I don't care what else is has in it as long as it has some spare parts for mine and a 4WD to slap in it. I love the deal you got though. If nothing else its a good investment for if you tear out a front/rear end or anything else.

lol...

wade, you can probably have the rims from me. I'm most likely going to put wrangler canyons on it.

brent, no...I can't. add the fact that I basically got paid $200 to get a decent daily driver comanche project, and it's a good deal.

as for the nice floors, and rusty rockers...my old 89 was just like that. I can 100% guarantee without looking closely at it, that it had side steps on it for quite a bit of it's life...that's the absolute guarantee that the rockers/cab corners on an MJ will rust out before the floor...all the snow/salt sits on them, but no water rinses them.

at the moment, the plan is to daily drive it unless jakeman has a good deal and wants to buy it. I need to verify it runs by putting a bellhousing and CPS on it before I invest the time in putting a good clutch and slave in it...but at least the only thing I need to buy is a slave cyl and master cyl and then it would be running and driving (I have a brand new clutch for one :D).

so, hopefully get it running/driving in the next few weeks so I can park my '87 in my storage garage and forget about it for awhile. I'm sick of having an ongoing project truck that's lifted and gets horrible mileage as a DD. at least this thing I can toss together, and worry about the rockers/bed later on.

very cool !

i stumbled into mine some what the same way since i have got mine i still haven't seen a second one yet, Comanches must be extinct in the Madison area . . .

Mike

I know where a 90 or 91 pioneer longbed with a factory meyers plow is, just on the west side of janesville...$1500 takes it. it's fairly rusty, but low 100k miles, needs a fuel pump and a new side ram on the plow. basic interior, bench, dummy cluster IIRC, shift on the column 4x4. 4.0 auto, and IIRC it's a metric ton with d44....

pm me if you want the number. I've been holding out because I want the plow...

running across MJ's has never been a problem for me...this makes number 17 or 18 I think, since 2004.

Na 1 is enough for me, nice short bed 2WD manual transmission 4 cylinder is more then plenty . . .

Other then mine and my friends wife used to have one those are the only 2 i have seen locally.

I like $300 MJ's myself . . . $1,500 is way beyond my range ;)

Mike

Nice stating point. 4x4 conversion already started. That will save you some time and cash.

I don't think that sunroof is factory though. I will need some type of documentation to believe ChryCo would install a sunroof like that at the factory. It looks like a cheapo 90s jobby.

Nice truck either way.

Nice stating point. 4x4 conversion already started. That will save you some time and cash.

I don't think that sunroof is factory though. I will need some type of documentation to believe ChryCo would install a sunroof like that at the factory. It looks like a cheapo 90s jobby.

Nice truck either way.

not a conversion...that's original 4x4. trans is removed because of bad slave, master, and clutch.

I have all of the reciepts...the lady said it came from the dealer that way. It's probably a dealer install *shrug*

Nice truck either way.

I had an 85' XJ (Pioneer 4wd 2.5L/3spd auto/3.73's) that had a factory sunroof.

I removed it, and foolishly installed it in my (at the time) trail & daily driver shortbed MJ.

It did turn it into a 'real' Jeep tho:

I leaked everytime a cloud showed up overhead, and if there was any kind of humidity out, EVERY window fogged up on the inside.

Had to get a 'defogging rag' like almost every CJ owner out there.

FWIW, I knew it was a factory sunroof because it exactly matched the pic in the 1985 parts book.

Basic description:

The glass was removable (even came with a nice bag)

it had a goofy lock/unlock mechanism (had to squeeze together two little plastic buttons, I think they were red)

and there were drain tubes that ran from the inner frame to the A-pillars (inside the plastic trim).