Alternative Fuel Tank Options.

I've got the classic MJ tank. Leaks from everywhere and then some.

Sticking an XJ tank in the bed for now, in a toolbox for the remainder of the winter, but I need a good replacement tank that won't rust out again. Was throwing around the idea of an S-10 tank or a Ranger tank.

Anyone swapped out for another tank?

I have a friend that has a ZJ , his stock gas tank was victim of a prank gone bad with a couple of college buddy's .

Long story short , after buying two junk yard gas tanks , that were both bad , he gave up .

He bought a brand new, off road racing gas tank . I can't remember the brand , but Its all chrome and badass !!

Its got an Anti-corrosive shell that also withstands high impact as well .

Don't know if thats for you , I'd try finding an XJ , tank first .

EBay has MJ gas tanks for $60. For the time trouble and cost I'd get a couple of them.Mount one now and put the other on a shelf for later.For the trouble involved why go to another type tank? I would get a new MJ tank. Paint it good with epoxy especially the top. Then I would get Aircraft tank sealer and do the interior. Should last a couple years.

Then I would get Aircraft tank sealer and do the interior.

I wouldn't. AFAIK, there is no product that is approved for aircraft usage that would be suitable...

Steel tanks in aircraft are plated with a lead alloy (terne). It works well unless it gets damaged (scratched, dented). No, I have no idea what that costs. But, I'd imagine as long as you don't mention the word 'aircraft, it's probably not overly expensive if you found somebody that could do it.

POR makes a product for coating the inside of tanks. Part of me wants to love it. Another part of me is afraid of it peeling and clogging the fuel system. I've not tried it, but I'm assuming it would be 'all in the prep'.

If I was willing to blow some cash and wanted something that would last... I'd probably go see a marine welding shop, and have them build one out of a 5XXX series aluminum. I'd paint the exterior with something nasty, like super-kloropon primer, and a top coat of a good quality paint (Endura?). Obviously this route will complicate matters regarding adapting to the stock pickup and sending unit, and everything else. But, I guarantee you that it will last 50+ years providing you don't do anything too stupid with it.

Otherwise, I'd be partly tempted to try something made of plastic. Or as they like to say, an 'Advanced Polymer Compound'. F-150s have plastic tanks that look like they'd perhaps, maybe, fit.

Wow! Learn something new everyday. One of the things I did after restoring a Stinson 108, A PT 19 and my Stearman PT-17 , Which I still have and fly, was line the tanks with FAA approved gas tank liner, purchased from Columbine Aircraft supply. Duly noted in the maintanance log. All 3 A/C were inspected and licensed by the FAA. Now I find out I can't do that.GeeWhiz.

following products approved by FAA for A/C tank sealing.

Randolph 802, Not advised as there are documentated cases of being disolved by Alcohol additives.

Randolph 912 ML-L-6040

3M Scotchclad 776

Wow! Learn something new everyday. One of the things I did after restoring a Stinson 108, A PT 19 and my Stearman PT-17 , Which I still have and fly, was line the tanks with FAA approved gas tank liner, purchased from Columbine Aircraft supply. Duly noted in the maintanance log. All 3 A/C were inspected and licensed by the FAA. Now I find out I can't do that.GeeWhiz.

following products approved by FAA for A/C tank sealing.

Randolph 802, Not advised as there are documentated cases of being disolved by Alcohol additives.

Randolph 912 ML-L-6040

3M Scotchclad 776

Well, guess I was wrong. I had casually looked into it by talking with people that should know, and they had all told me they just shipped them to some place to be replated and that there was no other viable option, along with some mentions of failing coatings that were no longer approved.

Everything I work on has bladders or plastic tanks.

I don't understand why anyone would want to change to a different tank. I bought a new replacement it was galvanized well on the outside, i painted it with Silver bullet (like por) it cost me $75.00 shipped 3 years ago and it still looks like new. the original tank rusted from the outside in,still it lasted 18 years. so I think the replacement will last twice that.

why go though the trouble to "adapt" another tank?? seems there is no benefit. just my thoughts..