frame under unibody?

NOTHING.

custom built. there is not a framed vehicle worth using the drivetrain off of to swap under the MJ that has the proper wheel base.

axles, I'd use 44 front and rear. you could go with 60's but they're not significantly stronger than a 44 if you're considering a realistic view that your MJ is not the worlds toughest truck, will not be hauling a significant pay load to justify it, and you need at least 35" tires to get the same clearance on the bottom of the diff as you would with 44's and 31" tires.

why are you considering a frame? please don't say it's for body lift.

No way would I put another frame 'under' an MJ's 'frame'.

The only thing I could see doing that even comes close to that would be to:

cut the cab free

remove what ever's left of the uni-frame's rails

and fab up body mounts to fit an existing frame.

Then, I'd probably lean towards a 1976+ FSJ frame, Waggy, or a shortbed J-Truck, depending on what wheelbase I hoped to end up with.

They're great frame's, the engine's I prefer to use bolt right in, they have aftermarket support if you're not going to fab your own suspension, etc, etc.

A Chevy guy might try to build body mounts to fit a straight axle Blazer, or PU frame, so he could keep the Chevy drivetrain.

But that is a TON of work, for what you'd gain.

You also would lose ground clearance, no matter how you did it (short of frenching the body over the frame rails).

Stacking the uni-frame onto another frame would have even worse results, and be more work, since (as someone already said) there's no existing frame that would line up to the underside of an MJ's frame.

If the uni-frame isn't strong enough for you:

beef the MJ frame (or outright replace it, staying Uni-frame, like Dirty Comanche did to his XJ viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11792),

or Truggy it.

I wished I had taken more pictures of it, but the one I posted in the other thread is an MJ on a J-10 chassis... This one:

It sports the Dana 44's, a 360, and retained all stock drivetrain components from the J-10... The owner just made custom fiberglass panels to keep the wheels trucked in, and made a mini-j-truck out of an MJ. Its cool in person, and well built. IIRC, he did what has been said, and took out the MJ unibody, and fabricated mounts and bushings to get the two to work together...

Rob L.

I wished I had taken more pictures of it, but the one I posted in the other thread is an MJ on a J-10 chassis... This one:

It sports the Dana 44's, a 360, and retained all stock drivetrain components from the J-10... The owner just made custom fiberglass panels to keep the wheels trucked in, and made a mini-j-truck out of an MJ. Its cool in person, and well built. IIRC, he did what has been said, and took out the MJ unibody, and fabricated mounts and bushings to get the two to work together...

Rob L.

Wow,

I've seen pics of this one before, but never even though it was more than (very nicely done) cosmetic. :doh:

Huge :cheers: to the builder.

Some parts of it are not my style, but other parts of it (and the fab work that was obviously done) are incredible. jamminz.gifjamminz.gif

Your pic shows the for sale sign,

how much was he looking for it (just curious)?

Its got quite the story... It was owned by an AMC jeep nut. His garage (heated pole barn) is something we would all dream of... Attic and shelves full of labeled AMC/Jeep parts of yesteryear... Custom stuff, oddities... a 4.2L with 0 miles... a gremlin... AMC Hornet wagon with a 304... 2 door XJ with a 4.2L... builder parts... 2-3 Javelins... lift... blocks...trannies...axles everywhere...

He built this truck for himself. All the body panels are one off, and fiberglass. Its the small touches too... Notice the hidden winch in the other pics? Everything works, it drives like a dream, and it has a full tan leather MJ interior, with full gauges working off the FSJ stuff. Even the small touches, like mocking up an MJ sized FSJish grille... Taillights in the rear fenders... Its amazing and clean in person.

The builder passed away a few years ago. They found him in the gargage, doors open, tunes cranking, javelin on the lift, passed away on the couch in his office. Probably just felt a little funny and sat down... great way to go. Sitting in your garage, surrounded by your passions. The kids were selling the FSJ MJ a couple years ago, I think that they were asking 6-8K... Its well worth it, i'd have bought it if I had the money... I work with his son in law.

Right now his old house is for sale, and they need to get rid of all his jeep stuff... They are selling it cheap, but I am the only one showing any interest, and its hard to co-ordinate with the kids... They seem too busy... I have a feeling whoever buys the house will get all the stuff, and trash it. I thought about buying the 4.2L XJ, but its unfinished, so I wouldn't know where to start... But, for the complete XJ, and all XJ parts there go with it, they only want $500...

Oh well...

Rob L.

Its got quite the story... It was owned by an AMC jeep nut. His garage (heated pole barn) is something we would all dream of... Attic and shelves full of labeled AMC/Jeep parts of yesteryear... Custom stuff, oddities... a 4.2L with 0 miles... a gremlin... AMC Hornet wagon with a 304... 2 door XJ with a 4.2L... builder parts... 2-3 Javelins... lift... blocks...trannies...axles everywhere...

He built this truck for himself. All the body panels are one off, and fiberglass. Its the small touches too... Notice the hidden winch in the other pics? Everything works, it drives like a dream, and it has a full tan leather MJ interior, with full gauges working off the FSJ stuff. Even the small touches, like mocking up an MJ sized FSJish grille... Taillights in the rear fenders... Its amazing and clean in person.

The builder passed away a few years ago. They found him in the gargage, doors open, tunes cranking, javelin on the lift, passed away on the couch in his office. Probably just felt a little funny and sat down... great way to go. Sitting in your garage, surrounded by your passions. The kids were selling the FSJ MJ a couple years ago, I think that they were asking 6-8K... Its well worth it, i'd have bought it if I had the money... I work with his son in law.

Great story, thanks for posting it!

I wonder who ended up with his FSJ/MJ,

Looks like he put so much of himself into it that they should've kept it.

Either way :cheers: jamminz.gif :bowdown: image_209027.gif and :thumbsup: to a AMC/Jeep nut with more patience & talent than I. :yes:

as most have said...its really not worth the work. BUT. If I wanted to take it on, and was dead set on using a production frame, I would go with an 83-94 toyota PU frame. They are both 1/4 ton trucks and the toy frame is fully boxed and tough as hell. the 79-85 had factory solid axles, but depending on the axles you want to use, you'd most likely end up with custom mounts anyway. The IFS trucks can be easily converted to solid axle and the frames are a little beefier in the front if you wanted to go v8. I personally would go with an 85 toy frame. the stock SA frame will allow you to build it lower and have more up travel as there is a higher frame "hump" in the front. Its only nuts and bolts man...do it!

Toyota frames are terrible.

There isn't a production frame out there worth using. Don't kid yourself.

excuse me...based on what??? toyota frames are actually rated at 1 ton payload capacity. what is terrible about a fully boxed mandrel bent frame?

Toyota frames are terrible.

There isn't a production frame out there worth using. Don't kid yourself.

excuse me...based on what??? toyota frames are actually rated at 1 ton payload capacity. what is terrible about a fully boxed mandrel bent frame?

I remember a certain incident where a friend of mine wanted to buy a toyota. He took me with him to take a look at the truck since he figured I might know a thing or two about trucks, or at the very least spew enough of my negative attitude to keep him from doing anything too stupid. I knew the frame was trash just looking at the truck, and proved it by sticking a key out of my pocket through the side of it. The seller was slightly upset with my behaviour, but you can't make honey from $#!&, eh?

Otherwise they aren't that bad. I don't know what they're rated for, and don't care. A metric tonne MJ was rated for over a ton, hmm? At least they figured out how to plate it with zinc.

Too bad....but a great way to go.

As for frame under, this was what prompted my thoughts:

I took that pic, and I saw that up close once and it was done nicely and details were taking care of. If you go this route please make it look good and not just slap it up there and go then have it look like a Ranger with a 6" body lift and able to see on the other side, :shake: I hate body lifts over 2".

I took that pic, and I saw that up close once and it was done nicely and details were taking care of. If you go this route please make it look good and not just slap it up there and go then have it look like a Ranger with a 6" body lift and able to see on the other side, :shake: I hate body lifts over 2".

I still don't see an MJ in that pic.... :chillin:

I still don't see an MJ in that pic.... :chillin:

either did I when i took the pic :yes:

here's a recent thread on JF with a guy trying to put a frame under an XJ. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/xj-f ... ld-741237/

that thread is probably the only thing that's ever piqued my interest on JF...pretty much everything else there is garbage.

damn you just all about bashing every other site aren't you?

sorry, nope. J-O has merit as worthless, as i believe I've previously discussed with you, and glxj has merit as worthless as well, by virtue of who is associated with ownership of it. that said, it's a good thing i don't moderate/own any sites because they'd also be worthless by association in the eyes of some.

*shrug* I'm sorry to express my opinions of another site.

here's a recent thread on JF with a guy trying to put a frame under an XJ. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/xj-f ... ld-741237/

that thread is probably the only thing that's ever piqued my interest on JF...pretty much everything else there is garbage.

damn you just all about bashing every other site aren't you?

sorry, nope. J-O has merit as worthless, as i believe I've previously discussed with you, and glxj has merit as worthless as well, by virtue of who is associated with ownership of it. that said, it's a good thing i don't moderate/own any sites because they'd also be worthless by association in the eyes of some.

*shrug* I'm sorry to express my opinions of another site.

Well I just happen to know some of the members of the site are members here as well, So I just take it as you are saying they are worthless as well, and that's not nice.

Well I just happen to know some of the members of the site are members here as well, So I just take it as you are saying they are worthless as well, and that's not nice.

I'm sorry, i never meant it to be derogatory towards any members of this site. just that I really don't feel the site itself is worth the scraps in my garbage.