Trail Rated badges  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Trail Rated badges

• Left of the Comanche badge
    • Under the Comanche badge
    • Other location - TBD
    • Leave them in the box
    • Sell them and try to recover some of the cost

I had a couple of TR badges on my old 96 XJ. When I rolled the Jeep, I took the badges off and put them "somewhere". Just recently I found one of them on the side of my tool cart. Just kinda slapped it on the MJ as a joke before we ran the Rubicon Trail in June.

The entire "Trail Rated" schtick is a massive marketing fraud by Jeep (started under Daimler-Chrysler). Up through the intro of the original Liberty, Jeep always proved each new model by driving it across the Rubicon Trail. They tried to do that with the Libertine, too -- in the process, they royally trashed the vehicle, and had to resort to stacking rocks at a number of the obstacles to get the Libby through at all.

So they decided they wouldn't actually test new Jeeps on the trail any more. They'd just call them "Trail Rated" and call it good.

I wouldn't allow one of those badges on my Jeep. Any true Jeeper will fall down laughing at you and your truck if he sees those things. They are like advertising "Hey, World. Here I am. I AM A POSEUR!"

Just kinda slapped it on the MJ as a joke before we ran the Rubicon Trail in June.

I am a poseur and proud of it. :D

My buddies got a good laugh, which is why I did it. Even some guys going the other way on the 'Con chuckled at it. Believe me, I put it back on the side of my tool cart where it belongs.

At one point I was mocked by a fellow in a Liberty with the badge, while I was in my none trail rated 03 Rubi. I don't really get the point of them?

I voted "other place". What about replacing the 4x4 badge? Line it up under the plastic vent, inline with the door handle?

At one point I was mocked by a fellow in a Liberty with the badge, while I was in my none trail rated 03 Rubi.

That's sort of like a guy with an airsoft calling out a dude who wears a Colt .45 on his hip and carries an M16, locked and loaded.

In other word: "Dumb!"

The entire "Trail Rated" schtick is a massive marketing fraud by Jeep (started under Daimler-Chrysler). Up through the intro of the original Liberty, Jeep always proved each new model by driving it across the Rubicon Trail. They tried to do that with the Libertine, too -- in the process, they royally trashed the vehicle, and had to resort to stacking rocks at a number of the obstacles to get the Libby through at all.

So they decided they wouldn't actually test new Jeeps on the trail any more. They'd just call them "Trail Rated" and call it good.

Thanks for the info; the coolness factor definitely decreased after hearing about the history behind them. But, I still like them.

Any true Jeeper will fall down laughing at you and your truck if he sees those things.

Can you tell me what a “true Jeeper” looks like? :waving: Because I'll want to keep a look-out for them.

I have an '09 rubicon and feel the trail rated badge is embarasing. I would wait to have kids and let them put them on their little red wagons. The rubie is "trail rated" but so is a liberty? How can that be? We test drove a liberty a few years back and live on a dirt road. That thing didnt do as well on my dirt road as my old Taurus SHO. Is a SHO trail rated?

And what does a real "Jeeper" look like? I think it is anyone in a wranger. I didnt realize there was a "Jeep Wave" similar to a Harley wave until i got a rubicon. I get waves in the rubicon but when I drive the 22 year old comanche (which there are not too many of them left in Northern Indiana by the way), I don't think any wrangler "jeeper" notices. An old Comanche should get more attention than a new wranger IMO. And mine is in pretty good shape. I don't get it. Many don't even know Jeep made a truck?

Bottom line, if the truck came with the badge, leave it on. But if it didnt, I wouldnt put it on.

Wait, Maybe I will put some on my Kubota?

As you said, a lot of people are not aware that Jeep made a pickup. From a distance an MJ looks kinda similar to a Toyota. The only giveaway for most people is the big JEEP logo on the tailgate. By the time people realize it's a Jeep, it's too late to wave. :D A Wrangler is much more easily identifiable from a distance.

I just went out and put the Trail Rated badge back on the MJ. ;)

And what does a real "Jeeper" look like? I think it is anyone in a wranger. I didnt realize there was a "Jeep Wave" similar to a Harley wave until i got a rubicon. I get waves in the rubicon but when I drive the 22 year old comanche (which there are not too many of them left in Northern Indiana by the way), I don't think any wrangler "jeeper" notices. An old Comanche should get more attention than a new wranger IMO. And mine is in pretty good shape. I don't get it. Many don't even know Jeep made a truck?

When I bought my '89 Wrangler in 2002, the previous owner informed me of the wave, 'don't be surprised if other guys/gals in Wranglers wave to you. It's normal - wave back.' Apparently it dates back to the army days when the Jeeps would pass each other, they'd wave? Just something I heard down the line at one time. There is supposed to be a universal motorcycle wave (normally two fingers pointed downward at the road when you pass another motorcyclist), but a lot of Harley owners won't wave to you if you don't own a Harley. Same goes with BMW owners, too.

There is supposed to be a universal motorcycle wave (normally two fingers pointed downward at the road when you pass another motorcyclist), but a lot of Harley owners won't wave to you if you don't own a Harley. Same goes with BMW owners, too.

BMW owners won't wave at you unless you own a Harley?

:???: :dunno: :hmm: :fool: