My new toy store. Pics! More good finds!

Automan2164

Just tried out a new Salvage yard out by me, and hit it good. I went looking to do some groundwork sourcing some axles, 231 t-case, and some lenses for the ZJ, but happened upon an MJ. Was a '89 4.0L, AW4 column shift, LWB. Bed was shot, as was the tailgate, but I got the opportunity to grab the easily had MJ only stuff. Pretty good haul. I got the tail lights, vents, emblems, and one other curious item. It had a factory rubber bed mat for the LWB MJ. I figured that the mat would be at least $75-100. Junkyard was LKQ in Rockford, IL.

All said and done, it was $23 each for the tails, and only $8! for the entire bed mat and tailgate cover. I didn't even get charged for the vents or emblems. :yes: This works out great, because I am not a fan of the drop-ins, and don't have the money for a spray in. I was going to just buy a horse mat, but this works better! And its factory original stuff.

Lots of Cash for clunkers cars, even this mint CJ-7. Hardly any rust. The interior was bedlined, and mint. :(

But, I did find the t-case i'll need, and found out that ANY axles, hub to hub, is only $85. T-case is only $80 I believe, so all in all, it was a great day. Just have to grab the tools, and make another trip out to get the axles, and the t-case at a later date.

Rob L. :thumbsup:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tailgate cover used the small black sheetmetal type screws, with large black plastic washers recessed down into the mat material. I was lucky enough to get all but one or two that were already missing. I was just suprised to find that the whole darn thing, mat and tailgate guard, was only $8. Don, if you want, I can snap some detailed pics of the mounting washers and the tail-guard tomorrow evening. Also turns out, you can get a whole pickup bed at this yard for $100. I guess I will have to keep my eye out. If I could snag a rust free longbed for $100, I would go nuts. :eek:

I have decided to go back tomorrow to scope out some more stuff, and exchange some turn signals I picked up. Apparently, although body styles are exactly the same in ZJ's 96-98, a '96 turn lamp uses a different socket, and fog lights aren't left/right interchangeable. :nuts: They work, but I know its not right.

I am a methodical, picky SOB.

No one would ever know about having a Left fog on the right side, but *I* would. :fs1:

Rob L.

The tailgate cover used the small black sheetmetal type screws, with large black plastic washers recessed down into the mat material. I was lucky enough to get all but one or two that were already missing. Don, if you want, I can snap some detailed pics of the mounting washers and the tail-guard tomorrow evening. I am a methodical, picky SOB. Rob L.

If you could Rob, that would be great. But I suppose you will be keeping it? And being a "methodical, picky SOB" is all good mate. Kind of reminds me of moi. :cheers:

Okay, not to hijack this post BUT....

First of all, it is sad that someone would C4C a Jeep let alone a Comanche.....but a mint CJ7??!!!!! WTF!!! :mad:

The owner needs to be horsewhipped. :thwak: Why in the hell would someone do something like that! If I worked there that CJ7 would probably mysteriously disappear one night. :yes:

:mad: Ya could have called.... After soccer.. didn't do crap yesterday. Piled more garage junk in the MJ and worked on the house a bit.

That CJ had been for sale locally for awhile. I had seen it on the local Jeep club board, Greed-Bay, and CL. The owner thought it was worth ALOT more money than should be payed for a half finished project. A C4C rebate was probably more money than anyone would offer him in cash.

Told you, you would like LKQ... They REALLY cleaned it up in there.... Its pretty nice JY now. And good to finally have a real pick and pull type around again.

Went back today, and grabbed some odds and ends, as well as met up with whowey. Together we found my axle donor, with the D30/D44, and complete with 3.73's. Also grabbed my new fogs, lens, and picked up a YJ windshield and some CJ mirrors for jeepdocdave. Even ended up finding a factory crap-mat for the ZJ cargo area, although not the right color. (Will, it was actually laying under the caravan next to my ZJ's red twin. :roll: ) But with the amount of stuff I got, I got it for free. :yes: Found out that while the yard is Pull yourself, they allow generators. The only things not allowed are beer and any kind of torch. SO... Looks like next saturday, I am having an axle party at the scrap yard. Anyone down?

Also managed to take a few emblems today, since I didn't get charged for the last few.

Don, here is the pic of how the mat mounts in the gate.

Now I have 2 working fogs, and a non broken passenger turn lamp. :D

Now that I know its game on with power tools and generators, this junkyard is going to be my new home. :cheers:

Rob L.

off that comanche.

Sure, I don't know EXACTLY when I am going back out, but planning on saturday. Axles are planned as a must do. Anyone's guess how much time I will have after that to parts grab before they close. I can try though...

Rob L.

Rob... know why that tank smelled of gas so bad???? One of the vent cap plugs is missing... Figured that out when I got it out of the ZJ upside down...

Did you end up pulling that YJ windshield??

Rob... know why that tank smelled of gas so bad???? One of the vent cap plugs is missing... Figured that out when I got it out of the ZJ upside down...

Sorry about that vent Will. I had forgotten that was loose and fell off when I was gift wrapping it. I found the vent and line in the back of the ZJ when I got home. As for the smell... ? Would have to ask Correy on that one. I just took it home and its been sitting under my deck ever since. Maybe some bugs/water got into it. I don't think the pump is good, can't remember.

Yep, got Dave's windshield, ended up being $45 glass and frame, and $15 :roll: For the wiper motor I forgot to take off. I think that was still a smokin' deal for around us.

Wade, I can see what I can do next time I am up. Will said he'd be willing to help with the axles, so that might speed things up.

Rob L.

There's an LKQ in Rockford? My wife is from there. I've had good experience with the LKQ in this area, so I'll have to keep that in mind if I need parts while I'm out that way. Where is it in Rockford?

LKQ bought it... It used to be called Kishwaukee Auto Parts. Its on Harrison about a block west of Kishwaukee Street. The old Rockford Screw Products plant is across the street.

heck ya he got my windshield, looks good to :clapping:

It looked like it was in very good shape on the that YJ... Other than the broken hinge that someone booger welded back together and it broke again, the CJ frame was in good shape.