whats wrong with fram filters ??

from a thread I read on the jeepforum board ....I've heard nothing good about fram. The worst out there from what i read. .... they are made of cardboard inserts and have plastic valves that let dirty oil leak back into the pan. Not enough oil flow...

I found a thread on a board somewhere where the guy had taken apart and tested most of the filters on the market. Seems like at the bottom was the orange fram filter. I seem to recall the upgraded fram as being ok.

in the middle were ones like WIX, NAPA GOLD, Super Tech etc. Think most of the middle of the road filters were made by Champion labs. At the top were ones like Mobile1 and K&N. I may not have all of those exactly right but my reading lead me to believe the SuperTech filter is fine for me.

My best guess is cheap guts in the orange tops. Might be a design flaw or quality control issues or a combo of the three. I had one collapse on my and leave me with 0 oil pressure(in the middle of a 10 hour drive no less). :fs1: :fs1: :fs1:

if yo don't read anything else, read the part about the fram filters and the email from the fram engineer.

If you are on your way to the store to buy a filter, you can look at the list and get one made by Wix, Champion Labs or Purolator and know it is a pretty good one. you can then spend as much as you want :-)

I been reading about that, I always used fram filters, the extra mileage ones or what not. But I been thinking of going to that reusable filter I think it's K&N that has one out, or someone. Looks to be worth it. $120 and should have it paid off and money back, what after 5yrs? why not.

I been reading about that, I always used fram filters, the extra mileage ones or what not. But I been thinking of going to that reusable filter I think it's K&N that has one out, or someone. Looks to be worth it. $120 and should have it paid off and money back, what after 5yrs? why not.

i haven't really looked into it, but i've been changing the oil on a toyato suv a guy is using that on, i think it sucks and i'd never use it. just me thouh, i don't like the way his low mileage truck sounds now, and what the synthetic oil looks like at 6k when he changes it. i will never jump on that wagon.

By far one of the easiest to read oil filter topics out there.

http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=58887

I run the Mobil 1 FILTER on my 4.0 engines.

jpdocdave - Excellent post. I have never seen that break down before! Thanks.

your welcome :thumbsup: i've had that marked for a while now. its good stuff. i stick with wix filters myself.

i haven't really looked into it, but i've been changing the oil on a toyato suv a guy is using that on, i think it sucks and i'd never use it. just me thouh, i don't like the way his low mileage truck sounds now, and what the synthetic oil looks like at 6k when he changes it. i will never jump on that wagon.

Yeah I'm still looking into been reading up on it, but hearing good things about it, but not sure like I said, that I'm to big on the 5 yr return on it. :dunno:

I've always noticed that my engines tend to take a little bit of time to build up oil pressure immediately after startup when I use Fram filters. I would attribute this to their leaky anti drainback valves, which causes my oil pump to need to fill the oil filter with oil before it can build up pressure. I've switched to WIX/NAPA filters and the oil pressure comes on almost instantaneously after startup.

Ol' Blue has 250,000 on the ticker & still runs like new . I bought it with 70,000 on the clock & who knows what the story was prior to then , but I have run Valvoline 10/30 conventional ever since I have had her . I've been running that crappy ol' Fram "extra guard" for the last 8 to 10 years without a problem . To be fair , I must admit that the juice gets changed every 2,000 miles like clockwork , so I attribute that in itself to the longevity of the motor aside from the fact that is is a 4.0 liter . I had run the Power Flo filters for the first while , but those seemed to give me a dry start here & there especially if the truck sat for more than a day . Ever since switching to the "extra guard" , I have yet to experience a dry start unless she sat for a month .

So in the end , no matter how much bad you here about the Fram filter , my 4.0 still sounds & runs like new (knock on wood) . I was getting back about 5 1/2 quarts out of 6 on my oil changes which I thought was pretty good & started using a little 5 oz. bottle of Lucas fuel treatment with every fill up & in doing that I now get back 6 out of 6 quarts on my oil changes . There is obviously a benefit to that upper cylinder lubrication claim even though I really don't see a mileage increase per gallon that is noticeable . :brows:

I changed the oil in my Comanche today. When I first bought it, I got a NAPA Gold. Remembering the NAPA Gold series is a WIX filter, I looked for WIX closer to home than the nearest NAPA. O'Reilly's #1 had the WIX #51626 for the '87 4.0L. Off I went. They only had one.

When I was about to install it, and I was putting the oil on the gasket, I realized the last ring of the threads going into the filter had metal shards sticking out. Uh oh.

Thankfully my next closest O'Reilly's had one in stock, and they swapped with me. As good as WIX is, that discovery was rather disappointing. The second one didn't have any metal showing, but the last part of the threads were not as smooth as the old NAPA Gold I took out. The two I handled today may have come from the same batch. :hmm:

Normally I take any filter out of the box and look it over thoroughly. Since this one was a behind-the-counter model and the only one the store had, I didn't look it over. :rant: I love it when a simple oil change seems to take all day... :doh:

I use Purolator Pur-One (The ones that start with PL, not just L). From every bit of info I have read on filters, I believe they are the best out there.

Not wanting to start an argument here, just letting you know of another good choice if Wix is not doing it for you any more.

I use Purolator Pur-One (The ones that start with PL, not just L). From every bit of info I have read on filters, I believe they are the best out there.

Not wanting to start an argument here, just letting you know of another good choice if Wix is not doing it for you any more.

I'll check them out next time around!

I changed the oil in my Comanche today. When I first bought it, I got a NAPA Gold. Remembering the NAPA Gold series is a WIX filter, I looked for WIX closer to home than the nearest NAPA. O'Reilly's #1 had the WIX #51626 for the '87 4.0L. Off I went. They only had one.

When I was about to install it, and I was putting the oil on the gasket, I realized the last ring of the threads going into the filter had metal shards sticking out. Uh oh.

Thankfully my next closest O'Reilly's had one in stock, and they swapped with me. As good as WIX is, that discovery was rather disappointing. The second one didn't have any metal showing, but the last part of the threads were not as smooth as the old NAPA Gold I took out. The two I handled today may have come from the same batch. :hmm:

Normally I take any filter out of the box and look it over thoroughly. Since this one was a behind-the-counter model and the only one the store had, I didn't look it over. :rant: I love it when a simple oil change seems to take all day... :doh:

that sucks, i wonder if someone tried to install it on an ho 4.0, it will thread on and actually tighten, but the threads are different, possibly how the threads got damaged, i made that mistake years ago, but the other way around, put an ho filter on a renix, it will go on, somehow i saw the box and thought, this part number doesn't look right before i actually started it.

Buddy of mine needed a filter for a Renix. Parts guy at Advance said "I know the number" and pulled a filter off the shelf. Took it home, changed oil and started his truck.

Oil sprayed everywhere.

HO filter.... :rotf:

Same exact filter as the Mobil One filters.... Usually I see the purolator filters a buck or two cheaper than the M-1 filters.

Same exact filter as the Mobil One filters.... Usually I see the purolator filters a buck or two cheaper than the M-1 filters.

Speaking of which... I was going to get one of those if I didn't find another WIX. Autozone listed the 207 filter for $7.49 and the superduper K&N that has the nut was $14 I think. At O'Reilly's and Advance, the top of the line K&N with the nut was the same approximate $14-15, and the lesser filter was only a dollar less. :hmm: Anyway, check the prices on the regular M1 filters. Some stores have them jacked!