Just a little complaint...

dasbulliwagen

Had a brand new wrangler 4 door hardtop come in today for its second oil change. The owner complained that when we changed the oil last time, we did not reset his oil change indicator, and he couldnt figure out how to do it himself.... Well maybe if he took a moment to read the frickin owners manual he could have taken care of that. I'm not saying we shouldnt have reset it for him, but why not try to do it yourself????? YOU OWN A FRICKIN JEEP!!!. There is such a mishmash of vehicles out there that either do or don't have oil change reminders that it is very hard for us to know which ones are which most of the time. If I see it telling me, I will reset it, but if I don't, chances are I probably won't look for it. We try to put oil change stickers on all of the ones we do, so its not like he doesnt know when it needs its next service, but hell....take a little initiative and try to help yourself out some...geeezzzzz! The other bad thing is that this wrangler will most likeley never see a trail or go off road....at least not any time soon. Maybe its next owner will actually use the poor thing for what it was built for. We can only hope! soapbox.gif

The owner complained that when we changed the oil last time, we did not reset his oil change indicator

Don't cars come with odometers anymore?

It's getting to the point to where if you can't be bothered with knowing when to bring your car back in for service, you shouldn't friggin drive.

That is a stupid system, no doubt Das. I liked the old static interval reminder that was customizable by the owner.

Speaking of vehicles being made for the mindless, how many times have you had to put air in someones tire because the low tire light came on? Service witers need to explain to customers that they can get air at most any gas station. They don't come in when the low fuel light comes on, do they? means put more fuel in, so they do!

I had a 79 honda accord. It had an oil chage, oil filter, air filter light on the dash. It had a slot under them to slide the ignition key into which reset them. Its amazing how they can take something as simple as that and complicate it 100 different ways.

That is a stupid system, no doubt Das. I liked the old static interval reminder that was customizable by the owner.

Speaking of vehicles being made for the mindless, how many times have you had to put air in someones tire because the low tire light came on? Service witers need to explain to customers that they can get air at most any gas station. They don't come in when the low fuel light comes on, do they? means put more fuel in, so they do!

But... To what pressure? Shop air is gonna be 120PSI, you don't want THAT in a tire. And they aren't going to read the manual; how dare anyone suggest such a thing.

It's unfortunate, but most people don't have a clue. So the light comes on and they take it in. Or they drive around with the light on forever.

But... To what pressure? Shop air is gonna be 120PSI, you don't want THAT in a tire. And they aren't going to read the manual; how dare anyone suggest such a thing.

It's unfortunate, but most people don't have a clue. So the light comes on and they take it in. Or they drive around with the light on forever.

Or, if your a cop, in my case, you call the mechanic(me), and I have to run my butt out to where ever your parked after your nap, to make sure the car is ok to drive to the shop. :fs1: Had a squad car today because he thought the tire separated and was dragging behind the car :eek: ... If he would have just bent down, he could have seen it was some rubber crack sealant from the highway that got caught on the shock mount, and pulled it off himself. ;) :rotf:

What a time-waster.

Rob L.

Yes yes yes! You know when the first cold snap in the fall happens when every idiot that has one brings their car in because the tire light is on. You check all the tires, they are all the same low pressure, you top them off, usually to 34-36 PSI and you send them out the door, usually without getting paid anything. Stupid people! And I say 34-36 PSI because I had one once that was right at 32 PSI and the light wouldnt go off. Filled it to 36 PSI and all was well!

Yes yes yes! You know when the first cold snap in the fall happens when every idiot that has one brings their car in because the tire light is on. You check all the tires, they are all the same low pressure, you top them off, usually to 34-36 PSI and you send them out the door, usually without getting paid anything. Stupid people! And I say 34-36 PSI because I had one once that was right at 32 PSI and the light wouldnt go off. Filled it to 36 PSI and all was well!

There is a hysterisis built in where the light may come on at 29 psi, but won't go out until you hit 34 psi. But of course the systems are different year to year and model to model. It's Chryco and nothing can be done the same.

When people came into the Midas shop I worked at I would tell them that resetting maintanance lights was not included in the price of an oil change since not all cars have them and resetting the light would cost them an extra diagnostic charge of $69.95. But I would also tell them that if they read the owners manual they could do it themself. Amazing how quick people learn to read. :idea:

I can understand a Jiffy Lube joint not resetting the light. People take their vehicles to dealers and pay the extra money because the dealers are supposed to know how to work on the cars they sell. I can read an instruction manual -- if it makes sense. Which the manual for the light in my 1999 WJ did not. I took it to the dealership for the first few oil changes to ensure there would be NO questions about warranty (and I am SOOOOOO glad I did that), and I fully expected the dealership to reset the light when they changed the oil. nd they did. I only had to bytch about it once out of the several oil changes I had them do.

I can understand a Jiffy Lube joint not resetting the light. People take their vehicles to dealers and pay the extra money because the dealers are supposed to know how to work on the cars they sell. I can read an instruction manual -- if it makes sense. Which the manual for the light in my 1999 WJ did not. I took it to the dealership for the first few oil changes to ensure there would be NO questions about warranty (and I am SOOOOOO glad I did that), and I fully expected the dealership to reset the light when they changed the oil. nd they did. I only had to bytch about it once out of the several oil changes I had them do.

New guys :roll: . When I worked at ford, it was hard to get the new guys to remember the light... We'd get comebacks for the light with unhappy customers, and I would have to give the apprentice the :fool: .

Rob L.

Or, if your a cop, in my case, you call the mechanic(me), and I have to run my butt out to where ever your parked after your nap, to make sure the car is ok to drive to the shop. :fs1: Had a squad car today because he thought the tire separated and was dragging behind the car :eek: ... If he would have just bent down, he could have seen it was some rubber crack sealant from the highway that got caught on the shock mount, and pulled it off himself. ;) :rotf:

What a time-waster.

Rob L.

I take a little offense to that one...however i had a trainee change a flat on my car (just cause he was driving when it went flat) the next day I was running lights and sirens (Fast) anf felt a little shake on the right front (the one he changed) pulled over removed the cap and he only put the lug nuts finger tight :headpop: ......could killed him right then and there. all comes down to common sense (Cops are no different)

I take a little offense to that one...however i had a trainee change a flat on my car (just cause he was driving when it went flat) the next day I was running lights and sirens (Fast) anf felt a little shake on the right front (the one he changed) pulled over removed the cap and he only put the lug nuts finger tight :headpop: ......could killed him right then and there. all comes down to common sense (Cops are no different)

So you're a cop?

Don't misunderstand my post. I was always the maint light nazi for my crew. If one of my guys didn't do a reset they would suffer one way or another. And for the record, the LOF price at most of the dealers I worked at came in way below the Jiffy Lubes of the world after they added on cost for checking t-case, diffs etc.

With the new style interval light Das is talking about, the stupid engineers designed it so that you have no idea if the reset worked if the light isn't currently on. Light comes on at 2,500 or 5,500 depending on driving habits (no actual sensor in the oil). If customer comes in at 2,300 and wants it changed due to time you still need to reset it eventhough the light isn't on, or it may turn on at 2,500. Even with the scan tool you could not read the lamp status counter. So a tech could do the reset procedure, have it not work, and they would not know it.

I find it interesting that this topic contains both grief with the customer and the designer. From my observations it's all part of a downward spiral. When one makes what one uses, the design/process improves with each iteration. As more and more become paying customers for service, the feedback loop is broken. Since some of these customers are designers, there is a lack of real ife input in the designs. The result is inferior product design. It's getting worse because experience and knowledge is not as important of a job reguirement as project management and developing in a vacuum is preferred because there are less destractions from facts or real life. It was happening before design was outsourced to countries that had no idea what the product is used for, but that situation is a lot easier to understand.