My MJ

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did you come back and pick up that Travelall near me? It disappeared a week or so after you picked up my Jeep.

No, I've already got one IH taking up half the garage. I need a bigger place. :yes: Hopefully it found a good home. :thumbsup:

Willy

• 5 months later...

I finally found some time to work on this one.

I replaced the speedometer quill. Now the speedometer has continued to work consistently for the last couple of short trips. :clapping:

At some point all of the bump stops were removed and the rear was loaded down enough that the u-bolts left dents in the uniframe. One of the rear passenger side bump stop bolts was broken off during removal. I drilled out the old bolt and installed a set of rear MJ bump stops I picked up at the junk yard. I also picked up the front bump stops but didn't notice that the bump stop cups were also missing. :doh: I'll need to get a couple of those.

Replaced the bushings in the windshield wiper arms. Now the wipers don't seem to hit the windshield frame, but I'll know if that really fixed it when I get it out on the road in a descent storm.

Replaced the front pads and calipers. Drove it around the block and the brakes still SUCK. :doh: But, at least they don't seem to pull to the side anymore. Next up will be a WJ booster and master cylinder.

I also picked up an Exploder center console that I think is going to work out pretty well. I'll have pics of that when I get to a point worth showing.

Willy

I took it for the emissions check yesterday. Their equipment couldn't handle the SuperTrapp. :no:

So off it came. :yes:

I returned for the emissions check today and passed. Even without a catalytic converter. :clapping: It still has a glass pack, but is definitely louder when you get on the gas.

I also removed the bolt on set of overload leaves.

Willy

dude thats a quad exhaust

I definitely need to do something about the exhaust eventually. It is way too loud for me. Hopefully in the next few months I'm going to redo the exhaust on the '88. I'll probably pull the muffler off it and use it on this one.

I live next to a 15% grade for a 1/2 mile. Coming up that hill is very noisy. :ack:

Willy

you wouldnt happen to mean 272nd would you?

my in-laws live right there....

I definitely need to do something about the exhaust eventually. It is way too loud for me. Hopefully in the next few months I'm going to redo the exhaust on the '88. I'll probably pull the muffler off it and use it on this one.

I live next to a 15% grade for a 1/2 mile. Coming up that hill is very noisy. :ack:

Willy

No, I was referring to James/240th St going up the east hill.

Are you referring to 272nd going up the west hill? I don't think I've actually been up that road. I've been the other way where it turns into 277th going up the east hill.

Willy

Willy

No, I was referring to James/240th St going up the east hill.

Are you referring to 272nd going up the west hill? I don't think I've actually been up that road. I've been the other way where it turns into 277th going up the east hill.

Willy

i got it screwed up. i do mean 277th. i always do that... :roll: its cause that exit is 272nd off of I-5, so thats what sticks in my brain.

After several XJs and MJs over the years with the same center console, I was ready for something different. During a trip to the pull a part I started looking through the center consoles of other vehicles and taking measurements. I found an Exploder console that was the right width and looked like it would fit fairly well. The cup holders didn't look half bad either. Here it is installed.

I also picked up a rear bumper that wasn't beat up quite as much.

Before:

After:

Willy

When I built the exhaust for Deb's MJ I kept the old muffler for this one. I installed it yesterday and it is so much quieter. The camper shell acted like some type of amplifier with just the glass pack. It will be so much nicer to drive now. :yes: Plus I have stereo sound now that I figured out what was wrong with the left speaker. :D

Willy

• 1 year later...

Had some rare free time so I got around to some stuff on my MJ. Cleaned up a couple things with the front suspension.

Before - the bump stop cups were missing, those weird coil spring lift devices were wedged in to the passenger side spring, and there was a collection of wing nuts and funky fasteners acting as sway bar disconnects. I had already removed the wing nuts from the top of the sway bars at this point.

The collection of pieces that made up the sway bar end links.

For those curious about the coil spring spacers here is a closer look. Looks like they are made of about 1" think UMHW - two per side.

After - now I have bump stops, no more sway bar wing nuts, and I added a spare coil spring isolator to replace the pieces that were wedged between the coils on the passenger side.

Willy

• 1 year later...

Spent the holiday completing a few projects on this MJ.

At some point the post on the passenger side sway bar link broke off. I picked up these sway bar links off a ZJ in the junk yard this past summer. Apparently the previous owner wasn't much for maintenance or fixing weird noises. It looks like the bolt and mis-alignment spacers went missing and they decided to replace it with some random, mis-sized bolt. I had to pick up some new spacers and re-tap the wallowed out threads.

Replaced the valve cover.

New fuel injectors.

Got rid of these stupid vent windows.

Added intermittent wipers and attempted to add cruise control. Replacing this lever was a major PITA that took me much longer than I expected. Afterwards I now have intermittent wipers, which will be great around here, but the cruise control is not working. I had already installed the throttle control motor thing under the hood. Now I've got to figure out how to diagnose what is wrong with it.

Added this cool old CB I picked up somewhere along the way at a garage or estate sale. I still need to pick up an antenna cable and install the antenna.

Willy

For your cruise control,

The rest of the sensor needed is attached to the back of the of the gauge cluster,

So you will need that,

It pretty much taps off your spedocable, which the spedocable will plug into,

Once you have that and the rest of the wiring from that sensor nstalled it should work, keep it up! :D

• 10 months later...

For your cruise control,

The rest of the sensor needed is attached to the back of the of the gauge cluster,

So you will need that,

It pretty much taps off your spedocable, which the spedocable will plug into,

Once you have that and the rest of the wiring from that sensor nstalled it should work, keep it up! :D

This is only for the Renix models.  HO is computer controlled and all plug and play.  I got it working.  I think it was just a bad connection at the wiring harness.

Looks good! have you thought about bedlinering your floor with like hurculiner or that raptor stuff?

Yes, I'm sure that will happen at some point.

Willy

• 1 year later...

After years of collecting parts it was time for this MJ to go through a few changes.

I knew the exhaust manifold had been cracked for years, probably even before I bought it.  At the Moonshiner's Swap Meet earlier this year I came across some Borla headers to fix that problem.  The stock manifold was almost cracked all the way around.

This should work much better.

While installing the headers it was no surprise to find the stock motor mounts in their usual state.

Luckily I had a set of MORE motor mounts sitting on the shelf.

Willy