My MJ

It was time to finally get rid of the D35 and install the Ford 8.8 that had been taking up space for years.  When I removed the cover I was happy to find 4.10 gears which fit perfectly into my plans.

The plasma cutter easily took care of the stock brackets.

Deb helped clean up what was left.

I welded the tubes to the housing.

Willy

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point we moved over to Ron's for a little more space to turn this MJ into a real Jeep by adding a transfer case.  The collection of parts that will eventually make their way on to the MJ.

Ron and I removing the 2WD AW4 and D35.

Goodbye D35!   :banana:

Goodbye 2WD!   :banana:

This would be AW4 #1.  Unfortunately this one only lasted about 10 miles.   :(

4.3 Atlas II

Willy

At this point I was still in need of a D30 with 4.10 gears to match the 8.8.  I spent weeks searching CraigList and local junk yards.  I found several that would work, but they were more than what I wanted to pay, especially if I would have to replace most of the parts on it anyway.  Plus I'm cheap and was not in a hurry.  Last week I came across a 2.5L MJ with 4.10 gears on CraigsList in SW Washington.  What better way to get a front axle then buy an entire parts Jeep?

It even comes with a "vintage" TrailMaster lift with control arm drop brackets.

Ron wanted a lot of the body parts so he ended up splitting the cost with me.  We've already got a friend who wants to buy the bed.  By the time we're done we should both have a bunch of spare parts and will probably end up making money on it.

Willy

... What better way to get a front axle then buy an entire parts Jeep?

Ron wanted a lot of the body parts so he ended up splitting the cost with me.  We've already got a friend who wants to buy the bed....

I love watching your projects, but I'll be the first to say it this time that this one looks too good to part out.  :( Still... can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs either, eh?

... What better way to get a front axle then buy an entire parts Jeep?

Ron wanted a lot of the body parts so he ended up splitting the cost with me.  We've already got a friend who wants to buy the bed....

I love watching your projects, but I'll be the first to say it this time that this one looks too good to part out.  :( Still... can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs either, eh?

This one is perfect for parting out.  It has issues and is undesirable enough that very few would be willing to put the needed time into it, but it still has enough usable parts to be of value.  It is a four cylinder that came cheap because it is said to have a coolant leak.  It is pretty obvious that somebody has attempted to remedy a cooling issue by removing the stock fan and rigging a junk yard electric fan in place.  My first guess is that the head gasket may be blown or the head warped.  But it ran enough to load on the trailer under its own power so that is what I was most concerned about.   :D

It's also been sitting for 8 years.  The window was left open so the interior is disgusting.  It's also been used as a beater truck without much concern for dents, etc.  It is lucky that we found it and that most of its usable parts will move on to other MJs.

Willy

• 2 weeks later...

Got a delivery last week.  I didn't realize how difficult it would be to find some decent looking black, 15", US made, aluminum wheels without fake bolts, faux beadlocks, spikes, or some other superfluous crap that looked like they were designed by a five year old on crack.

Willy

Spent most of last week inspecting and cleaning up the donor D30.  I replaced the axle seals since I had it apart, but got pretty lucky with most of the rest of the wear items.  It looks like somebody must have replaced the rotors, calipers, and pads just before parking it.  Besides surface rust they barely look used.

Added a block off plate for the vacuum disconnect housing.

As well as control arm skid plates.

Added a weld washer to the track bar mount to help distribute the load and correct the offset hole that was added by a previous owner instead of getting an adjustable track bar.

I then went crazy with the wire wheel until my wrists were numb in preparation for paint.

Willy

Last weekend the 2WD axle came out and in went the D30.

Good bye 2WD.

Almost 4WD.  It already had RE adjustable upper controls arms and an RE adjustable track bar when I bought it.  I added RE adjustable lower control arms and the RE track bar bracket.

I was hoping to have the 4WD in place and working for Snow Jam tomorrow, but unfortunately the front driveshaft I have needs to be shortened.  Luckily, like most years, Snow Jam should be snow free this year so I shouldn't have any issue running forest service roads with 2WD.

Willy

Sunday was our monthly club run.  This month we went to Lonesome Lake to attempt to find some snow.  Wasn't sure how much we would find considering it was a very unusual 60 degree day.  This was also the first trip with a front driveshaft and 4WD.

16183739487_25108336f5_b.jpg

Stopping to air down.

15749624043_53ec31776c_b.jpg

Mt. Rainier from Haller Pass.

15749620893_fc93b9e843_b.jpg

16367877101_24fdf8eaf4_b.jpg

Lonesome Lake

16182214660_bdc04d1bb2_b.jpg

16182206810_caec7dcd77_b.jpg

This is FS road 74.  It's been closed right off highway 410 since 2006 when a flood damaged the bridge over the West Fork of the White River.  There will be a lot of repairs needed if they ever do fix the bridge.  The asphalt is completely fragmented and some surprisingly large trees have grown in the cracks in the last 9 years.

16183710667_9a3cd9b4f2_b.jpg

Another side road that's been washed out by the river.

15749594733_d60ca900f3_b.jpg

Airing up before heading home.

16182186400_df40636a36_b.jpg

16181930548_cffa6c6867_b.jpg

More pics here.

Willy

As you can tell in the pics from last weekend the front flares did a pretty good job of keeping most of the road spray off the side of the truck.  With no flares on the rear, they were throwing crap everywhere.  I was eager to get the rear flares on, plus stay somewhat legal.

Sophisticated method of test fitting.

After cutting up the rear flares until I was happy with the fit, I pulled both the front and rear flares off for paint.  I used Krylon Fusion for plastic.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but they turned out really good.

I used rivnuts to attach the rear flares since the inside of the rear fenders are not very accessible.

Willy

The previous owner installed an XJ gauge cluster, which covered the shift indicator.  I picked this up off eBay.  It was the closest I could find to the AW4s shift pattern since it has the odd single position for first and second.

Picked up a couple of Euramtec LED interior lights.

I didn't use the trim bezel that came with the lights since they fit nicely into the MJ opening.

Willy