Drop in bedliner, should i buy one?

Joop

Found this today:

A friend of told me about them, and off course i had to check it out! They were MJ bedliners for shure, 5 long and one short! I also asked around a litte and got in touch with the owner. Turned out he owns the super clean black MJ i see around in town every now and then! The bedliners are never used and was bought from the local jeep/crysler dealer cause they only collected dust there. He also had 2 unused factory rollbars. All of this was for sale for a decent prize!

I got his phonenumber and promised to give him a call, but I'm not shure about the bedliner? Will dirt and moisture get trapped under it and cause the bed to rust faster? Will my factory rollbar cause issues?

I will post a picture of my truck that the PO put the bedliner in and didn't take out the drain plugs. :doh: My truck is pretty much rust free on the body :banana: However, it has a nice rust hole in the bed of the truck from the bedliner. :ack:

I pulled my plastic bedliner today to clean under it and start prepping for a roll in bedliner. It has probably been in there for 10 years. The bed looked fine. Some wear spots for sure, but ok overall. I will probably coat it with a roll in, then put the plastic back. I would run a strip of thin sealant foam around the underside where it hits the bed rails to keep it off those, or just paint it.

I put mine back today after i was done cleaning. There was definatly a LOT of dirt and sand in there. but that is going to happen, and i have no way of knowing if it was in there before they put the liner in. If the price is good grab one. You may not get another chance.

I pulled my plastic bedliner today to clean under it and start prepping for a roll in bedliner. It has probably been in there for 10 years. The bed looked fine. Some wear spots for sure, but ok overall. I will probably coat it with a roll in, then put the plastic back. I would run a strip of thin sealant foam around the underside where it hits the bed rails to keep it off those, or just paint it.

I put mine back today after i was done cleaning. There was definatly a LOT of dirt and sand in there. but that is going to happen, and i have no way of knowing if it was in there before they put the liner in. If the price is good grab one. You may not get another chance.

don't USE THE ROLLER!! i tryed this the first time i did the box on my 76 GMC and was so pissed after. so i waited 2 days then put on another coat. 2 weeks later it was already peeling. it was preped properly you just don't get the thickness. spend the $20 on the gun and spray it. nice and thick. and if you don't have an aircompressor then I'm sure you have a buddy or a neighbor with one. just my experience.

don't USE THE ROLLER!! i tryed this the first time i did the box on my 76 GMC and was so pissed after. so i waited 2 days then put on another coat. 2 weeks later it was already peeling. it was preped properly you just don't get the thickness. spend the $20 on the gun and spray it. nice and thick. and if you don't have an aircompressor then I'm sure you have a buddy or a neighbor with one. just my experience.

sweet, I was looking at the spray guy at O'Reilly's. Figured it would be worth a shot. Neighbor has a compressor, I couldn't justify dragging mine down to florida when I PCSed here. Just gonna have to set up some drops and find an area of the parking lot where no one parks. I live in base housing in a cul-de-sac so I got to be a little careful. How high does it float when spraying. Overspray wise I mean. I figure it should be pretty heavy and not drift too far.

i dod body work in a shop fo years

bedliners will colect moisture under them and wear paint off

but u can coat bed with ky jelly befor u put it in

then no problums ky does not wear off and repells moisture :cheers:

I have always warned people against the plastic liners. They do more damage than good. We used to put grease under them, but nothing you can do is a long term solution and they will eventually trap junk under there and cause damage. The spray liner is the way to go :thumbsup: ....Line-X, Rhino, Hot Spy etc, etc... I don't trust any of thdo-it-yourself stuff personally...just goes back to my belief in "you get what you pay for" :yes: :cheers:

sweet, I was looking at the spray guy at O'Reilly's. Figured it would be worth a shot. Neighbor has a compressor, I couldn't justify dragging mine down to florida when I PCSed here. Just gonna have to set up some drops and find an area of the parking lot where no one parks. I live in base housing in a cul-de-sac so I got to be a little careful. How high does it float when spraying. Overspray wise I mean. I figure it should be pretty heavy and not drift too far.

Hey NCSU.. Best time to paint is early Sunday morning when the wind is calm and not alot of ppl stirring dust about.... Outside that is.. Set your compressor up to spray lightly and just keep it under control, you should be green to go..

1988 MJ and we are the 2nd owners, had the bedliner since new. The bed under the liner was perfect except for some area's where the paint rubbed off. But those area's won't rust because the bed liner keeps rubbing against it, keeping the rust off, lol.

rusty!! pic before we did the bed bob...

2ldeouo.jpg

during the bed bob with the liner removed, we hosed out some sand and dirt and the bed was really nice!

jsfv9k.jpg

• 11 years later...
8 minutes ago, MJ1991 said:

Have you bedliner for Jeep Comanche? I need LONG BED. 

Mirek

I doubt it this thread is 11 years old. in 10 posts on here classifieds will open up to you. You can get these posts pretty easily by starting a build thread and putting your truck in the comanche registry. one of these kind folks will get you a build sheet for it.