'88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Jan. 2023

Had a mostly good first day back out into the world today. Got going fairly early to get to where I needed to be.

C2D2EA93-BF97-4190-BEF7-6D205B6B456C.jpeg.18f1f62d2918f2651f9315c0427783ad.jpeg

Backed it out of the shop to find a clean(ish) piece of cardboard under it. No new spots since yesterday anyhow. 

98EEBEF6-354D-4E51-96C6-F67BCC7B199B.jpeg.4940297e8a12fdee3080f105f1dc18dd.jpeg

That cardboard has some real history with this truck. It has been under it since the truck came home to my first shop back in 2009. Prior to that it was part of one of the boxes that one of the garage doors came in for said first shop. Anyhow… up the hill and on the road. 

7354A34B-2C06-4462-B56F-6A37E00CED9B.jpeg.b3d8ce682e3d2767e11b05bf27a8294d.jpeg

Everything went fine heading down and then the truck sat for the day at my buddy’s shop. I came back in the afternoon and it had a bit of stumble off idle. Granted, this was also the first full tank of gas in this truck in over six years. I’m hoping that something got knocked loose so I picked up a fuel filter on my way home. 

00846867-255A-452C-A283-A73CE9B47539.jpeg.a41af8bdb3d0a291e5d53b9aa561d2a3.jpeg

Felt good driving this old truck. I think I got way more thumbs up and waves from other Jeep owners than I do in my CJ. 

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, neohic said:

Felt good driving this old truck.

I suppose you'll have to get used to that feeling with the CJ going under the knife soon.

Do you just need to snug up the diff cover bolts?

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

Do you just need to snug up the diff cover bolts?

Don’t think so. I didn’t use a gasket… just a bead of RTV. Everything got tightened with a small impact driver and then checked by hand. I’ll pull it apart and reseal it. Need to do the fuel filter yet too. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • neohic changed the title to '88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Feb. 2023

More truck stuff. With the old CJ engine gone the bed got filled with the borrowed engine hoist and stand.

23E61731-16BC-4C03-A221-F5F4CD708EE1.jpeg.6d5a60699148c59b567db4ecb198a707.jpeg

I ran the 4.2 down to FN Jeep this morning. If you’ve never heard to them, it’s an indoor used parts dealer that caters to everything Jeep related. There’s a new owner as of about a year ago and he’s been moving things into a bigger online presence. Super good dude and I invited him to join us in the vendor section in the classifieds. He’s got some MJ specific parts but also tons of XJ/MJ stuff. There’s also a big crate filled with 2.1 diesel stuff. Need something specific?… he probably has it. Before I left I picked up a ‘97+ wiper motor to do Airborne Janitor’s upgrade.

1A725BC1-0811-4054-B89C-9B102EFE87DC.jpeg.a904787c5ca4233d08504e314a0dfb7f.jpeg

Looking forward to my wipers not sucking anymore.

• 7 months later...
  • neohic changed the title to '88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Sept. 2023
  • neohic changed the title to '88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Oct. 2023

1 hour ago, Drahcir495 said:

Wow - just read all 15 pages and there was so much I would have liked to comment on lol. Better late than never! Well done :beerchug:

Thanks, bro! This is a truck that sits a bunch, then I start threatening to sell it, then I need it for truck stuff, and then I love it enough that the threats stop for a while. Thanks for taking the time to read the whole thread! :beerchug:

12 hours ago, neohic said:

This is a truck that sits a bunch, then I start threatening to sell it, then I need it for truck stuff, and then I love it enough that the threats stop for a while.

I go through this same thing. And going to school on the other side of the country doesn’t help 

• neohic changed the title to '88 Eliminator... Feb. 2009 - Jan. 2023

Small update on this old truck. Daily driver status has been moved from our Focus to the Eliminator. Last weekend I noticed that the car was low on coolant and I ended up dumping a gallon into it. “That’s weird… it’s practically new!” I did some poking around and found a crack in the side of the cylinder head right next to a water neck.

IMG_5957.jpeg.a99cf05e0d0f0d663011e82fbdd1da66.jpeg

It’s under warranty yet so off to the dealership it went. Enter the Comanche to pick up the slack. Of course, the weather hasn’t been great… seems like whenever we need a second vehicle there’s typically snow in the forecast. Driving has been pretty well uneventful minus the alternator dying on me, and then today it was stumbling bad followed up with a no-start. Harrumph. It felt to me like a fuel issue so it got tested at the rail and things looked great. Ignition maybe? The coil tested fine, but not great. I replaced the coil with my fingers crossed only for it to start and then immediately die. Then I knew… the bank of relays got rearranged then the starter wouldn’t spin. I obviously had a failing fuel pump relay. For now, it got a cheap relay thrown at it with another one on standby in the center console. Runs great again! Found more oil where it doesn’t belong than I’m happy about though while I was under it.

IMG_5981.jpeg.76ce63de6d5d6df7e7fd9d7368136f22.jpeg

Lately, this truck has taken the personality of, “Oh! So you need me now? Well that’s just interesting, isn’t it?!” :twak:

44 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

I think it’s jealous of all the attention the CJ has been getting.:))

Probably. The CJ has been getting out for little errands around town. Think I’m learning the secret handshake with the new transmission. It has been really nice driving this truck daily but I’m making a list of things that need attention. 

2 hours ago, neohic said:

Then I knew… the bank of relays got rearranged then the starter wouldn’t spin. I obviously had a failing fuel pump relay. For now, it got a cheap relay thrown at it with another one on standby in the center console. Runs great again! Found more oil where it doesn’t belong than I’m happy about though while I was under it.

IMG_5981.jpeg.76ce63de6d5d6df7e7fd9d7368136f22.jpeg

Lately, this truck has taken the personality of, “Oh! So you need me now? Well that’s just interesting, isn’t it?!” :twak:

My comanche must have came with stock relays or really old ones. They had stamped: made in Britain.

I thought to myself, holy schinikes did this sail with Columbus? All my relays worked just fine.

I ended up grabbing some newly produced bosch ones that were made in Portugal, also interesting, and installed them as a matter of course. I kept the old relays though because its just cool to have.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:59 PM, neohic said:

Felt good driving this old truck. I think I got way more thumbs up and waves from other Jeep owners than I do in my CJ. 

I find this funny, one of the only Jeep owners that's every given my Comanche a thumbs up was a person in a CJ.  It gets tons of attention but not really from other Jeep owners unless their Jeep is vintage.

I'm glad you are getting to use yours, it's a beautiful truck and will be happier if you drive it more frequently.