Engine compartment light?

My 94 Suburban has that light, but it does not have a magnetic base. Or it does and I never knew it did. Either way it's too cold outside right now to check.

It is just a thin magnet that covers the entire base. I didn't know it was a magnetic base until I set it on steel...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a factory light, but have found Chevy pickups use a extendable light on a cord that is long enough to walk all the way around the rig. It's much smaller, has a magnetic base and has a handle on it to roll it back up. It mounts to the fender and has a switch on it to turn it on and off. It also has a swinging latch to hold the light in place and any junkyard should have one. :brows:

I use the Chevy light and two mercury style underhood lights. The mercury lights are mounted about two feet apart so they light both sides of the engine bay. jamminz.gif

Can you post a pic of how your underhood lights are set up Tim?

Not right now. I took them all off of my '95 XJ and haven't installed them on the MJ yet.... It's still being torn down so I can swap my '94 XJ engine, trans and finishing the interior.

Right now my back is trashed so my projects have no ETA. I'm getting another 4 level back fusion done again in a couple weeks.

I have the simple fixed light w. no cord on it - about useless

But excellent for checking your oil level which I think would be its intended purpose. The extendable one is still on my want list but as yet eluded me at the JY

I believe jtdesigns (a member here) has one in good condition that he is willing to sell…

do you have a pic to share?
The light pulls out about 10 feet (?) and has a magnetic side to it so it can be attached to any metal part, kind off cool.

So WHERE does the power-source wire of this engine-compartment light connect? I just grabbed one off of a 1988 Cherokee, but the power wire was snipped...

Thanks!

:cheers:

Paul

The light connector will be hanging out of your cross-firewall harness where the circle is below:

Mine was AWFUL tough to find...it had been shoved down below the main wiring harness (under the plastic shield thing) and was caked on the inside with "gunk" (inside the connector)... Since it had been "flopping" around for 20 years not having been plugged in...

Thanks for posting the pic JeepDoggie. :D I have the simple fixed light w. no cord on it - about useless. I like the Chebby light better.

And Tim, best wishes on the back surgery. Hope it fixes it good as new mate.

Thats the light.

How do you keep yor engine compartment so clean? Mine never looked that good.

Hopefully the the 4 level fusion will help my lower back. I already have a 4 level neck fusion.

When its all said and done I will still have eleven badly degenerated discs left. Eight are in my mid back and they won't touch that area. My neck fusion now has caused the disks above and below it to degenerate enough to eliminate most of the feelings in my hands. All of my discs are degenerated some. I'm told my back is one of the worst cases of wear and tear he has seen in a person that is only 42 years old.

They only fix the areas that block the spinal cord and risk severing it.

It will never get better, they just keep increasing the pain pillls... Such is life...

Now you might understand my signature. I'm going to try to finish my MJ and a Honda Prelude I have. After that I'll be selling about half of my tools and giving up building my own $#!&.

If I knew years ago what I know now I would have lived a different life. But I would have missed out on a ton of great memorys.

I do what I can while I still can. Thats why I drive the way I do, It's one of my last things I can do. Sliding sideways and driving like I stole it is my motto.

Wow that was a long drug induced post.... Time for more meds....

How do you keep yor engine compartment so clean? Mine never looked that good.

When we put the stroker in over four years ago, we steam cleaned the engine compartment and prepped/painted it. And the stroker don't leak, so it basically stays clean. :cheers:

Hopefully the the 4 level fusion will help my lower back. I already have a 4 level neck fusion.

When its all said and done I will still have eleven badly degenerated discs left. Eight are in my mid back and they won't touch that area. My neck fusion now has caused the disks above and below it to degenerate enough to eliminate most of the feelings in my hands. All of my discs are degenerated some. I'm told my back is one of the worst cases of wear and tear he has seen in a person that is only 42 years old.

Waaaay too young to have a flocked up back like that Tim. Hope the memories were all worth it mate. But the disk degeneration might have happened no matter how you led your life, no? But still, hope the surgery helps you much more than you think it will. We all got to slow down sooner or later..... :D

So WHERE does the power-source wire of this engine-compartment light connect? I just grabbed one off of a 1988 Cherokee, but the power wire was snipped...

Thanks!

Paul[/color]

The light from the '88 will have one power wire to the harness, the other (ground) is attached to the light bracket, however your '92 will have a two wire connector at the harness (as in the picture below) so you will have to rewire the light. Hornbrod please confirm since you have a '91, my '90 has the two wire configuration while my '88 and '89 are single wire.

Thanks!

Paul[/color]

The light from the '88 will have one power wire to the harness, the other (ground) is attached to the light bracket, however your '92 will have a two wire connector at the harness (as in the picture below) so you will have to rewire the light. Hornbrod please confirm since you have a '91, my '90 has the two wire configuration while my '88 and '89 are single wire.

see that confused me i have a 90 that has the two wire configuration, yet both lights i got from the yard have one wire and ground to the bracket

(trying to do a 2light setup)

:hijack: any suggestions on how to wire up two lights as described above?

see that confused me i have a 90 that has the two wire configuration, yet both lights i got from the yard have one wire and ground to the bracket (trying to do a 2light setup)

Parallel wire the hot red wire from the harness connector to both lights. They will be grounded by the housing bolt. Do both your yard lights have inline mercury switches? If so, be sure the hot wire from the connector is hooked to the switch input.

When we put the stroker in over four years ago, we steam cleaned the engine compartment and prepped/painted it. And the stroker don't leak, so it basically stays clean. :cheers:

Waaaay too young to have a flocked up back like that Tim. Hope the memories were all worth it mate. But the disk degeneration might have happened no matter how you led your life, no? But still, hope the surgery helps you much more than you think it will. We all got to slow down sooner or later..... :D

Mine never looked that good after it go a reman long block. I build them to beat not keep pretty. :brows:

I've slowed down, no more mountain biking, motocross, enduro, or street bike racing. No more motorcycles at all. No more snowmobiles or quads. I gave up musky fishing(I've caught 5 over 50"), sold the boat. I gave up 75% of my offroad 4x4 time, now it's easy rides and campfires. Quit being a Mopar Master Tech to work in parts. Now I probably won't work again. I'm hanging a plow on the MJ so I don't have to snowblow but still have a reason to keep the MJ.

I still go fast and have fun with the MJ and cars.

Too many crashes.When I worked on a pick-up another tech racked it sliped off a hoist leg and hit the rear spring perch directly on top of my head. Worked as a tech for 15 years. I have lifted stupid heavy $#!&. Played as a line backer or full back in school. I could have avoided this, I've crashed at over 100mph a few times and couldn't count all the other crashes. I had my 1st motorcycle at 6 years old and by the time I was 11 years old I had a Maico 450.

It was self inflected.... :nuts:

see that confused me i have a 90 that has the two wire configuration, yet both lights i got from the yard have one wire and ground to the bracket (trying to do a 2light setup)

Parallel wire the hot red wire from the harness connector to both lights. They will be grounded by the housing bolt. Do both your yard lights have inline mercury switches? If so, be sure the hot wire from the connector is hooked to the switch input.

I'm not sure if they both have switches

i know one does going to test the other tomorrow

Thanks for the help! :bowdown:

if all else fails ill just use my 6d cell maglite

You could use a wire eyelet under the mounting bolt to insure a good ground. I would also run it with the power lead to the other light.

You can also replace the bulbs with brighter ones. I also replaced the bulb in the Chevy extendable light. I was able to double the light output on all three lights.

On my '95 XJ I had to add a ground strap fron the bodt to the hood on eliminate radio interference.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked that reel-up Chebby underhood light and found a new one on Ebay for $20. Stuck it where my windshield washer tank used to be. In case you want to look for one on Ebay don't look for "Chevy or GM truck hood light" 'cause they want too much for them, look for a Hobbs light. Hobbs has been manufacturing these things forever.

Image Not Found