Engine compartment light?

I liked that reel-up Chebby underhood light and found a new one on Ebay for $20. Stuck it where my windshield washer tank used to be. In case you want to look for one on Ebay don't look for "Chevy or GM truck hood light" 'cause they want too much for them, look for a Hobbs light. Hobbs has been manufacturing these things forever.

Image Not Found

Looks like it could be brighter... Time to kick it up some. :brows:

Now order a LED high output replacement bulb for that light and make it way brighter. :yes:

I put in old school higher output bulbs instead of the standard wattage bulb in mine.

I switched all of lights to 1156 bulbs. My hood mounted lights are steel so the heat won't effect them. I'm concerned with the Chevy light melting. I'm swapping LED bulbs in as I can afford to...

89 bulb is 6 watts, 6 candle power and draws .58 amp draw

93 bulb is 6 watts, 15 candle power and draws 1.04 amp draw

1156 bulb is 27 watts, 32 candle power and draws 2.10 amp draw

For my Chevy underhood light I'm switching to a 130 degree wide angle LED to a 130 degree wide angle LED. The light I'm using 1156 High Power 5 Watt Luxeon LED 7000K output. It will look like a HID light. Draw is only 185mA with up to a 50,000 hour life span.

I'm switching the 2 underhood mounted lights to a 130 degree wide angle LEDS to a 180 degree wide angle LED and painting the reflectors for better preformance. The light I'm using 1156 High Power 5 Watt Luxeon LED 7000K output. It will look like a HID light. Draw is only 200mA with up to a 50,000 hour life span.

Here's a link

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/115x-xLX3.htm

I think I'll be replacing a bunch of my other lights also.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the tips Tim. There's a bunch of original plastic around the light, been there since 1991, so I'm not really concerned about heat damage. There's a hood vent just above it too. GM mounted these on the fender well in a hotter spots and they are still hanging. :D And I am slowly changing out my incandescents for LEDs for more output w. less current draw as I find them for cheap. :cheers:

do you have a pic to share?
The light pulls out about 10 feet (?) and has a magnetic side to it so it can be attached to any metal part, kind off cool.

So WHERE does the power-source wire of this engine-compartment light connect? I just grabbed one off of a 1988 Cherokee, but the power wire was snipped...

Thanks!

:cheers:

Paul

My recently purchased used underhood light has no spring retraction. Has anyone taken one of these lights apart?

Thanks,

Paul

do you have a pic to share?
The light pulls out about 10 feet (?) and has a magnetic side to it so it can be attached to any metal part, kind off cool.

So WHERE does the power-source wire of this engine-compartment light connect? I just grabbed one off of a 1988 Cherokee, but the power wire was snipped...

Thanks!

:cheers:

Paul

My recently purchased used underhood light has no spring retraction. Has anyone taken one of these lights apart?

Thanks,

Paul

Read page one. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Just picked one of these up at the junkyard (factory not hobbs light). How does it mount to the hood? I'm assuming nutserts? My hood is a blank canvas and doesn't have any threaded holes or nutserts.

Nutserts it is, however the holes should be there as part of the standard stamping.

• 2 years later...