Comanches doubt

dan12

The Pioneer was a mid-level trim package. The Eliminator was the top of the line package.

The Pioneer got you a 3-spoke Sport steering wheel, fabric upholstery, carpets instead of rubber floor mat, and gauges instead of idiot lights.

The Eliminator added bucket seats, full console, show bar, and alloy rims.

The Pioneer was a mid-level trim package. The Eliminator was the top of the line package.

The Pioneer got you a 3-spoke Sport steering wheel, fabric upholstery, carpets instead of rubber floor mat, and gauges instead of idiot lights.

as always with jeep items, this is not a 100% set-in-stone prerequisite for being an eliminator or pioneer package. I've had two pioneers now, which had dummy lights from the factory.

as always with jeep items, this is not a 100% set-in-stone prerequisite for being an eliminator or pioneer package. I've had two pioneers now, which had dummy lights from the factory.

Unless you bought it new yourself, you do not know that it was that way "from the factory."

I bought my '88 XJ as a Pioneer specifically because that was the lowest trim level that had full instrumentation. The option list was the same for the MJs and the XJ. I also have two used XJ Pioneers here, one an '86 4-cyl and the other is an '89 6-cyl. Both have gauges but no tach.

If you bought a Pioneer with idiot lights, IMHO it's 99.99% certain that a previous owner removed the gauges.

I bought my '88 XJ as a Pioneer specifically because that was the lowest trim level that had full instrumentation. The option list was the same for the MJs and the XJ. I also have two used XJ Pioneers here, one an '86 4-cyl and the other is an '89 6-cyl. Both have gauges but no tach.

If you bought a Pioneer with idiot lights, IMHO it's 99.99% certain that a previous owner removed the gauges.

eau contraire

back when we had a good local jeep dealer, I had my parts guy Kevin there run off build sheets on all of our comanches, and one thing that he and I both agreed, was that it seemed odd that my brother's 88 MJ pioneer came with dummy lights.

researching further, we found (as stated above) that xj's and mj's offered some small variations between each other on trim packages.

pioneer couldn't be the lowest trim level to have full guages.

my '89 sportruck came factory with 4x4 5sp 4.0 fullgauges, carpet and bench seat.

Full guages were optional on all MJs that didn't already have them.

Since the subject came up,you'll like this.

Mine is '88,is dark red,has what's left of poineer stripe.

Gauges,no tach,buckets,full console.Red interior,btw.

Acoording to the vin(Mopar),it's an Eliminator,and was gold. :eek:

I see no evidence of it ever being any other color than red.

But it has all the mounting for a roll bar,including the brackets to

the frame.(that's why I've been hunting a rool bar).

Figure that one out,oh great ones. :bowdown:

Off the top of my head, I figure it could be one of 2 things. Either the vin tags have been swapped, or the VIN-search-thingie (technical term) that was used is screwed up. Does the VIN tag on the dash match the VIN tag in the engine compartment?

And my cote is for the search engine screwing up. I don't think Eliminators were ever offered in Gold.

This may have changed as the years went on. My 92 Pioneer came with an idiot cluster. I bought it from the original owners and I am pretty sure that these people did not do any cluster swapping.

The only swap that they did was going from a bench seat to buckets.

I already corrected Eagle on that. He was going on his experience with XJs and for XJs the Pioneer trim level came with gauges, for MJs, the Pioneer trim level came with idiot lights (but gauges optional on all MJs that didn't already have them as standard).

Pete,I believe you pegged it.

Mopar's info keeping back then was notoriously poor.

Vin's do match.

I just thought you guys would enjoy that.

Still would like to find a roll bar,since I

have the factory mounts there.

Even the welded in nuts and stuff are still good.