88 Comanche (My Style)..."The Blue Truck"

Well during a routine inspection underneath this truck I came across a small hole of rust on the unibody under the drivers side. So alittle fabrication was in order :wrench:

Got all the soft stuff cut out and the area cleaned up.

Patch panel test fitting

All welded up.

Some grinding and undercoating and she was ready for more action! :cheers:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well Ive kept my eye on this growing situation and next week ill be putting some hard hours in along with my Uncle to repair this issue. Of course its more rust. The cancer has attacked the rear of this truck BAD and I need to get this all resolved before winter is upon us. Next week ill be hard at it so look for more pictures of progress . :wrench:

here's some samples of the disease. :cry:

Best wishes towards a speedy recovery! :waving:

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a busy week of cutting, welding and grinding but after all the effort the truck will be back home tomorrow! Its been a ride and I have many pictures of the process to share......Its stronger than ever now and I'm excited to have it back to normal :)

Pics to come!!!

here's the progress from throughout the week :thumbsup:

Bad stuff cut away

Some of the Plating/welding work. What a mess it was... :ack:

1st shot of undercoating

Some new correct length shocks

All back on the ground and ready for many more happy adventurous years! :jump:

It sure was an experience but well worth it seeing a completed frame in the rear once again....man i really hate rust!

Next up is a REAL transfer case skid and probably some odds and ends along the way, i really need to take care of the rear axle seals @ some point... ill keep ya posted!

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to throw on the skid plate this evening. Definently looks alot nicer than the stock unit and should provide the protection the ole' 231 needs :thumbsup:

Gotta represent the decal 8)

Sadly I'm not making it up to Rausch this month but when the time comes Itll be ready. Winter is on its way here in PA so I'm gearing up for hopefully an overload of Snow and some awesome MJ adventures :cheers:

Got another small project in the mail yesterday. Thanks "RockMJ!"

I picked this B&M trans cooler up off him, to replace the chepo 1 I had previously installed. With the hose already ran all that was left to do was locate the new cooler and make up a few mounts.

Back together once again.

Time to head back up to the house.

My final peice of this small batch of projects. Ive been dealing with "heat soak" with this truck on hot days for a good while but took the time to try this "mod" out now anyway. From what ive gathered the heat soak on the late model 4.0s is due to fuel vaporizing in the injectors. So i figured id give this simple idea a go and see if it has any effects next time the truck gets working hard.

I picked up a set of performance spark plug boot protectors.

Cut them down and installed them around the injectors, this should provide adequate heat protection to keep the fuel in a liquid state.

Figured it was worth a shot :dunno: Thats it for now :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to do another upgrade. Ordered up an Iron Rock offroad double sheer track bar and HD bracket!

In comparison to the Stock worn out unit.

No installed pics (sorry!) but this should help the off road performance just a bit more next time out, plus it fixed the sloppyness of the OEM unit and cheesy relocating bracket.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well Ive had a clunking noise arise from the front axle recently, after throughly checking the brakes and unit bearings I came to the conclusion that it was my Locker. So I ordered up a rebuild spring/pin kit and dug in tonight.

Got the old stuff out

And got the new in and the carrier reinstalled this evening, Itll spend a day or 2 in the garage till i get some gear oil and get the rest back together.

I immediatly noticed improvement in engagment and hopefully this cures my noise issue. If for some reason it doesnt, well atleast ill have a fresh locker! hahaha

The Truck only has a Motion Offroad 1.5" BB on it and the front has ZJ springs on it but thats it. The Alternator is just a 105amp job from Advance Auto. We'll see how long it lasts... :clapping:

How do you like the ride of the ZJ coils? and are they the stock V8 or the "up country ones"?

Acctually the V8 ZJ coils and the Up country XJ coils share the same part number. The ride with them was slightly stiffer than stock, but they rode nice. Ive since transfered them to my 96 XJ and now run 2" Rustys coils on this truck. Theyre an easy upgrade for alittle height though and would reccommend them to anyone ;)

Today I decided to throw on my Rugged Ridge steering setup. Very straight forward install.

You can clearly see the strength difference just looking at the 2 setups.

All installed and tightened down, a simple "driveway alignment" to reset the toe-in and shes rollin again.

Have to get a steering stabilizer installed yet (stock 1 is pretty worn). The intial review, I'm pretty happy with the parts....Curious to see how they hold up over time for me compared to some others experience's

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have devoloped a small oil leak with this truck at the back of then engine, so 1st things 1st make sure the valve cover is nice and sealed.....

Inside still looks nice and clean :)

The old gasket I think was just a whole tube+ of silicone, yay that outta be fun to clean off. Anyway I cleaned up the cover itself and plan on shooting it with a pretty color before i bolt it back on this week.

Just alittle project to pass the time while I wait on some tuneup parts for my XJ.