Making a tailgate theft-proof?

Wow, you just put another thing to worry about in my head. I had not even thought about this, but with MJs getting harder to fine, and a nice tailgate even harder, this is a true concern. I had thought about how I can put a lock in the handle so you can lock the tailgate. This will be useful for one, keeping the tailgate from being stolen, and two, with the solid bed cover that I plan on using, it will keep the contents of whats inside from being stolen.

:cheers:

Wow, you just put another thing to worry about in my head. I had not even thought about this, but with MJs getting harder to fine, and a nice tailgate even harder, this is a true concern. I had thought about how I can put a lock in the handle so you can lock the tailgate. This will be useful for one, keeping the tailgate from being stolen, and two, with the solid bed cover that I plan on using, it will keep the contents of whats inside from being stolen.

YOu might be able to relocate the handle to the inside of the tailgate and then make the bedcover able to lock. Of course that would involve body work to fill the old handles hole, and I know you have fresh paint, so I'm sure that way is out of the question......

Electricity and a big dog are both excellent suggestions. But with my luck, I'd electrocute myself. And my apartment building doesn't allow pets. :)

Yeah, incorporating a lock into the handle would be a great idea. But how?

My tailgate is in such good shape, I'd hate to lose it.

I was looking along the lines of using a cam lock like this, and attaching harden steel rods to the lever so that when you turn the key, it would push the rods into holes in the side of the tailgate to lock it in place. Think of it like the single locks/closer on a camper top.

well, my tailgate is in good shape, and there are 2 mj's at the local pick a part that the TG is the only good part, but none of the three have a good handle on them. Where do you get a new tailgate handle? It looks a lot like a normal GM style door handle, but I have yet to see one listed anywhere.

I know the 1993 and below Chevy S10 tailgate handles are interchangible with the MJs (I have a chrome one from an S10 on my MJ :D ); maybe someone makes a lockable handle for the S10s that would bolt on an MJ tailgate? There are lockable tailgate handles for the newer p/u tailgates.

are there that many mj's around your area to make you worry about someone stealing your tail gate. there are only like 5 within a 100 miles of me that i have seen. its not like you have an s-10 or a ranger. don't worry about it. but i do like the idea of zapping someone!!! jamminz.gif

If you are really worried about it you could install a hasp and padlock on the inside of the bed/tailgate. I know it would look bad, but not visible from outside.

Would it keep them from getting it? probably not if they had a bolt cutter. But it would really mess up the gate otherwise.

You can always do the same as stereo's - take it with you. Never understood that. The radio was still their for the taking, which should of made a hot market for face plates.

You could always park it up tight to a wall. Looking at your project you need to be concerned about the whole truck being taken.

Bait and switch would be another approach keep something that looks more valuble in the bed like a new electronic box with dead weight in it. They open the tailgate and discover something better but can only carry one item.

If you count on car alarms, you could attach a cable when pulled would set the alarm. Of course they would drop it and it would get damaged.

Finally, use that lock you pictured and add a block to one of the draw bars that prevents movement unless the lock is down.

Another deterrent would be to put a hose clamp around the hinge with the removal slot. It wouldn't guarantee that it won't be stolen, but it at least won't make it easy for them. They would then need a screw driver or something to cut the clamp off. Hopefully that would be enough work to make them move on.

Willy

• 3 years later...

Old thread revival, but I was looking at something like this a few weeks ago myself.

http://www.rstruck.com/store/mcart.php?ID=140

Or...

http://www.andysautosport.com/chevrolet/1982_1993_s10/exterior/bed_accessories/tailgate_locks/pilot_motorsports/

Just some ideas I came across. Hope that helps anyone in the future

RockMJ

Damn Troy, bringing back my thread from 3 years ago? :) I don't worry about theft anymore. I just keep an extra tailgate on hand. But I do like your idea.

Was actually searching to see what other MJ guys have done to secure their tail gates...... figured I'd post up what I'd seen during my searching elsewhere since a few mentioned the hose clamp idea - without pics to show. :thumbsup: