Driving on the phone is a good idea...

possum

Not! Just had the rear of my car creamed by some dumb kid on a cell phone. :headpop:

I was gonna call the cops but the kid was driving a brand new truck, lives less than a block away from me and he said he would pay me $100 this afternoon. This goes against my better judgement. But when I was young this cool guy gave me a break when I would have been up the crick w/o a paddle. So I gave him a break and told him I trusted him to do the right thing. So we will see how it goes. If he doesn't show I guess I may just have to talk to his father. My car was almost a classic too LOL.

If you're talking about he Celebrity, yeah. 2 more years and you could run historical vehicle plates on it.

A buddy of mine in high school had an 80s Celebrity wagon. Not too cool, but he had a point it was better than a bicycle.

If you're talking about he Celebrity, yeah. 2 more years and you could run historical vehicle plates on it.

A buddy of mine in high school had an 80s Celebrity wagon. Not too cool, but he had a point it was better than a bicycle.

Just before I was transferred to Seoul , S. Korea in the early 90s I purchased a two year old Celebrity wagon and had it shipped over there. Bought it at a GSA government auction for $4000. Seoul is probably the worst place in the world to drive, horrendous traffic and size rules all. I banged that thing off the Kias, Daewoos, Hyundais and other Korean junk for three years and it never let me down. Then I was transferred to Guam, shipped the Celebrity there, and immediately sold it for $4000. As far as I know, it's still running around the island as a taxi cab....... :cheers: Great cars.

Not to go to far off topic, here come's the rant, soapbox.gif I am so sick of people driving while screwing around on their cell phone. I've been to the point of road rage after getting behind someone going 10mph slower than the speed limit and going in and out of the lane, just to pull up beside them and see them holding a cell phone and pushing buttons. :mad: Worst yet someone sitting at an intersection and wasting up all the green and leaves you with the red. :headpop: :headpop: :wall: :thwak:

I'm looking for a train horn that will hook up and fit under the hood so at lease I can get there attention. I'm not one for stickers, but a large one with HANG UP AND DRIVE, would be great on the back window and in reverse on the front so when I blast the window shattering horn they will read it.

Rant over.

:cheers:

Not to go to far off topic, here come's the rant, soapbox.gif I am so sick of people driving while screwing around on their cell phone. I've been to the point of road rage after getting behind someone going 10mph slower than the speed limit and going in and out of the lane, just to pull up beside them and see them holding a cell phone and pushing buttons. :mad: Worst yet someone sitting at an intersection and wasting up all the green and leaves you with the red. :headpop: :headpop: :wall: :thwak:

I'm looking for a train horn that will hook up and fit under the hood so at lease I can get there attention. I'm not one for stickers, but a large one with HANG UP AND DRIVE, would be great on the back window and in reverse on the front so when I blast the window shattering horn they will read it.

Rant over.

air horns...always a good idea.

my dad's buddy put one in his 2003 yamaha RX1 snowmobile with a foot button...scares the crap outta the people in front of him.

gonna be installing one in both of my trucks too actually.

Not! Just had the rear of my car creamed by some dumb kid on a cell phone. :headpop:

I was gonna call the cops but the kid was driving a brand new truck, lives less than a block away from me and he said he would pay me $100 this afternoon. This goes against my better judgement. But when I was young this cool guy gave me a break when I would have been up the crick w/o a paddle. So I gave him a break and told him I trusted him to do the right thing. So we will see how it goes. If he doesn't show I guess I may just have to talk to his father. My car was almost a classic too LOL.

well, being on the recieving end of TWO accidents, one from a kid and one from a senior citizen (or close to it), I'm of the EXACT OPPOSITE opinion. the first time, the kids insurance refused to pay out the damage cost...and gave me half the value of the damage. second time (about a week after I fixed the dent in the 3800), they blamed it on me. then filed a claim AGAINST my insurance. I got the other guy a failure to yield ticket and yet they still fight...i don't like people who hit my vehicle, and literally every time that I get hit, I willcall the police.

I don't care if it's $20 in damage, or $5000 in damage...if it's their fault, they can pay, and it needs to be reported. cause otherwise, you can't trust them to be honest and pay.

I expect that if something is my fault, I get the same treatment.

I had an ~86 Chevy Celebrity, non wagon. It was my first car, that thing took some abuse. It was the first car for both my older brothers too. I think combined from the three of us it had 5 minor accidents and killed 3 deer, net result was no real damage to the car. It still holds a special place in my heart.

That car did eat motor mounts and fuel pumps though, eventually got to be too much and it was donated after 200+k was put on it.

I'll throw in a timely comment from the (Ca.) Left Coast: On 7/1/08 it becomes illegal for a kid under 18 to use a cell phone in any way while driving- including texting. Adults must be using it with a hands-free device.

not to be a road bump but, i think it should be a personal choice. Ive done kind of my own testing about it, and i drive damn near the same way with a phone to my ear and without

yes, but some people are what I title "Dee Dee Dee's"

not to be a road bump but, i think it should be a personal choice. Ive done kind of my own testing about it, and i drive damn near the same way with a phone to my ear and without

If I'm on the highway I'm fine, but throw me in traffic and I stop paying attention to one or the other. The problem is though, on the highway my dodge is so loud that I can't hear anything...

There was an article in today's newspaper about texting while driving becoming a near epidemic. I had never even considered that. It's bad enough when people yak while driving (aside from it being illegal in this state), but ... TEXTING? Gimme a break, people! Just drive the damned car.

Many people say that "I drive fine while talking on a cell", but the fact is, it has been scientifically proven that ANYONE that uses a cell phone is nearly 60% more likely to have a crash (it's not an "accident"...it's a crash). It doesn't matter if it's with hands free or not...a telephone conversation while trying to drive is going to get someone in trouble or worse.

I agree that it shold be a choice as the government has way too much control over us as it is so there has got to be a way to convince the idiots out there that what they are doing is going to hurt someone.

Well the kid was as good as his word and showed up with the money right when he said he would. jamminz.gif And as far as the car is concerned. It was nothing a little massaging with a hammer and a trip to the boneyard for some taillights couldn't handle. I personally think celebrities are great cars. I have owned probably 3 counting this one.

I am just glad there are a few honest people left in the world. Not the smartest but honest. :D

I agree that it shold be a choice as the government has way too much control over us as it is so there has got to be a way to convince the idiots out there that what they are doing is going to hurt someone.

No, it should not be a choice. Sorry. If all they could possibly do is run into a tree and remove themselves from the gene pool, THEN it should be a choice. As long as they're on the same road as me, my wife and my granddaughter, it should NOT be a choice. Not when they have the capacity to kill other people through their inattention to the task of driving.

A couple of years ago an illegal immigrant gal ran a stop light and totaled my friend's plow Jeep. You guessed it -- she was so busy yakking on the cell she didn't even look at the light. Even after the crash, she didn't stop yakking -- just hopped out and started bawling to her friend that "someone just ran into me." (He was stopped.) :nuts:

I almost got t-boned at an intersection a few weeks ago. Light turned green for me. I drive a 5-speed, so it took a moment to shift into gear, THEN I started to roll. And a babe coming the other way had to lock up all 4 wheels to stop about an inch short of my driver's door. Yeah, she was on the phone. And SHE glared at ME like it was my fault she had to stop. :nuts: :nuts:

The problem is, it's a damned telephone. The mind doesn't make the connection that THIS telephone is in a guided missile, not your kitchen or bedroom. The mind switches off driving and gets involved in the phone conversation. This has been proven through too many studies to ignore. What I find interesting is that the same phenomenon doesn't seem to hold true for CB radio. Why? Because people with CBs in their rigs know they're talking on a radio in a damned truck, and they keep their mind on the driving. Can't tell you how many times I've lost parts of a conversation on the CB because my mind was paying attention to what the traffic was doing. That just doesn't happen with cell phones.

The difference with a phone conversation and one with a passenger is the guy on the other end is not in the car with you and has no knowledge of the events you should be paying attention to so he does not pause or undestand why you paused.

What needs to be done is the phone should be integrated into the vehicle like the new models are doing. However, it needs to be made such that a call can not be answered or made while the vehicle is in motion.

The problem is, it's a damned telephone. The mind doesn't make the connection that THIS telephone is in a guided missile, not your kitchen or bedroom. The mind switches off driving and gets involved in the phone conversation. This has been proven through too many studies to ignore. What I find interesting is that the same phenomenon doesn't seem to hold true for CB radio. Why? Because people with CBs in their rigs know they're talking on a radio in a damned truck, and they keep their mind on the driving. Can't tell you how many times I've lost parts of a conversation on the CB because my mind was paying attention to what the traffic was doing. That just doesn't happen with cell phones.

I want to know what everyone is talking about, endlessly, continuously, and how in gawd's name did we exist as humans before we could talk to every person we know, non-stop for every waking second of every day regardless if we were in the car, at work, in the bathroom, sitting in the airport or wherever...

I swear that if Airlines EVER allow Cell phones on Planes, and I have to fly, I will go absolutely CRAZY and you will see pictures of me on CNN being hauled off in cuffs by Air Marshall's after an emergency landing while the dude that that was sitting next to me using his phone is having his cell phone surgically removed from his backside

I think the same way. Comedians cover it. 'I'm walking to the mailbox, I'm opening the door, I'm stepping back..........' You used to have to plan your day and think ahead. We don't have to think any more (a good move for some people) because now we annoy somebody,somewhere, anytime. 'Do you want the red one with the long neck or the short fat blue one?' 'I'm ready to be picked up now.' So as a parent you're off to pick them up where they were supposed to be. Only to not be able to find them. Good thing you have a phone, 'Where are you?' Now it's my fault.

Just another item that was developed and marketed because industry can and wanted to, but there was no need for it. Mankind developed everything and conquered much without constant communication. Sure would have saved Paul Revere's horse if he'd just texted everyone. Yes there is a time and place for it, but not the endless dribble you usually hear.

No offense, but "kind of my own testing" and "i drive damn near the same way with........and without" doesn't really give me warm fuzzies all over. Military bases banned yakking on cell phones while driving many years ago - accidents went waaaaaaay down. I'd like to see it banned everywhere. There ain't nothing so important that you can't take a minute, pull over and do your cell thingy, then get underway again. Except maybe if you're trying to get to the beer store, it's late, and you need to know when they close. ONLY KIDDING! :cheers:

I have to date myself here: In 1979 I gathered stats, did the math, and proved to my boss how as a company we became less efficient after getting pagers. He bought my theory and promptly dumped 'em.

:mad: I wasn't very popular with the other guys at work at first. After all, only doctors and other important people had beepers. Dope dealers didn't even have them yet. For a young guy hanging out and trying to look cool a beeper was a great accessory. And if things weren't going well you could always have your friend set it off, or pretend it's on vibrate and have a reason to split. Oh yeah- It might save some driving time if a page resulted in getting some worthwhile info while you were out in the field working.

Kind'a sounds like a cell phone, doesn't it? :popcorn:

Like Jaekl said, cell phones, (like the pagers in the day) change the way we plan, communicate, and execute our efforts. I've seen some real SNAFU's lately when the newer guys have to work in a cell-dead zone. They become helpless morons. There's nothing wrong with the device- it's the way it changes how we do things. In our zeal to have and use the technology we the people have provided enough money to build a very impressive cell infrastructure. But I think it is time to teach a little discipline and / or put the device in its proper place. This would be a good place for a Star Trek / TNG / Borg analogy but I'll shut up.

I just read it in Road & Track (sorry) Carnegie Mellon University did a study and confirmed it's the conversation with a remote person not the cell phone that distracts the driver. They cite as I did the indifference of the other end of the phone, but I will also add conversation is more than an audio function. Without the visual input the mind needs to concentrate more to just the sounds to understand what was said or meant.

Now roads will need to have pull over areas, since alll of the conversations are important.

• 2 weeks later...

Rant over.

I had a horn like that in a 90 chevy truck i had. they are great for scaring the crap out of people but just a little tip...

The police don't find it funny at all when you come up behind them crossing the train tracks and hit the horn.

apparently in this small town that is criminal mischief and it takes alot of talking to convince them you were simply saying hi to a passing friend

I am a motorcycle rider, and the two things that scare me the most is someone on a cell phone and a car full of teenage girls. You know both have their mind set on talking and not driving :nuts:

The cell phone driver cannot be bothered to use the turn signal when changing lanes or turning, and god forbid if they look over their shoulder to see if you are in the blind spot- that is if they even looked to start with.

The car full of teenage girls can just look right through you and not even see you :mad:

When I see someone on a cell phone I always give them a large birth cause I know they will do something dumb :cheers: