5Spd Shift Knobs - Are they "fragile", or am I too

...muscular?

I bought the truck and it had a busted 5 Spd Knob... I've now busted two brand new ones (and have a 3rd on the way)... Am I tightening the the lock nut thing (also brand new) too much, or pulling on the knob too much when shifting or what??? it looks like the white plastic innards just disintegrate and then the knob just pulls off... it was HOT both days that the last two busted (over 100 today) and I think the same last time. Maybe just getting too hot and the plastic getting fragile?

I think if this AX-15 Dies, and if I have the chance I'd really prefer to have an Auto (AW4 or NV3550)... Bash me if you want, but I personally prefer Auto's for both off road and daily driving... I wouldn't own the TJ I have now if it were not Auto... Not swapping a tranny just because of the stupid knob, but I prefer Autos///

Wade

I've broke that white plastic insert a couple times. I pulled it right off power shifting more than once. It's annoying. The shifter knob itself is fine, but the insert is junk.

Yah, that's what's happening to mine... but the white insert stuff is busting into bajallions of bits...I don't want to yank off the Knob every time I shift gears...

Convert to the new (2000 XJ) style knob. It's one piece, the locknut is concealed inside and covered by the shift pattern trim. It'll be the last replacement knob you have to buy.

The early style were notorious for self-destructing, and I've tried just about everyhting I could think of to repair them with no luck.

Convert to the new (2000 XJ) style knob. It's one piece, the locknut is concealed inside and covered by the shift pattern trim. It'll be the last replacement knob you have to buy.

The early style were notorious for self-destructing, and I've tried just about everyhting I could think of to repair them with no luck.

Ya, the 97+ knob is quite nice, fits way better in your hand, and looks better.

I'd go with that.

And ya, all my older knobs always broke with that insert, I ditched it on my 96 real quick and got the newer knob.

This One?

52104174 1 DBB KNOB, Gearshift

04446921 1 DBB INSERT, Transmission Shift Knob

06502556 1 DBB NUT, Hex, M10-1.5

shiftknobfv8.jpg

This One?

52104174 1 DBB KNOB, Gearshift

04446921 1 DBB INSERT, Transmission Shift Knob

06502556 1 DBB NUT, Hex, M10-1.5

shiftknobfv8.jpg

Ya, that one.

"T" handle every day. NO stupid plastic to break, NO sweaty palm to slip, and power shifting is def. easier when your hand is not trying to slip off the knob ( That doesn't sound quite right, does it? ). :D

Power shifting in a vehicle with a long throw, truck transmission is very much not recommended. Unless, of course, you enjoy rebuilding or replacing transmissions.

Oh jeeze. And I bet you also think the clutch has a purpose? :nuts:

I powershifted the hell out of my puker. I don't think that was the deciding factor. I think it was the clutch dumps from 4k rpm. Maybe. But you can't really be sure, other than my tranny dun work right anymore...

Power shifting in a vehicle with a long throw, truck transmission is very much not recommended. Unless, of course, you enjoy rebuilding or replacing transmissions.

I used to power shift my F100 whenever I was in a hurry to make a pass, and once showing a kid in a Civic that once we hit 20 mph i had a better hp/weight ratio than his little ricer.

The transmission (after 200,000 miles) was also loose enough that the clutch was optional once you had started moving, as long as you got the rpms right.

What finally killed the truck (not the transmission) was a head on with a Grand Am when I attempted a pass and couldn't accelerate fast enough due to wheel spin.

Only accident involving another car ever that was my fault.

Yep -- that one.

Thanks Guys! BHZTAZ is hooking me up with one of the newer styles and hopefully that will work out a little better in the long run...

Wade

Got it in today...be in the mail tomorrow :cheers:

Oh jeeze. And I bet you also think the clutch has a purpose? :nuts:

Ayup.

Starting the engine and getting the truck rolling. I understand that clutch use is optional after that, and can be worked around even to get started if you like replacing starter motors and synchronizers.

Ya gotta remember -- synchromesh trannies were still sort of a new thing when I learned to drive. In fact, one of my first cars (1939 Hudson coupe) didn't have synchro on any gear. That sorta made the clutch less optional.

also if you have the means, twm makes nice but expensive weighted shift knobs that thread on. the shifter in my TJ is the same metric thread as a honda civic, and i am assuming it would be the same in the newer xj's your getting the newer knobs from.

and if they are the same any 5 spd honda civic shift knob would fit. ;)

The transmission (after 200,000 miles) was also loose enough that the clutch was optional once you had started moving, as long as you got the rpms right.

The tranny doesnt have to be "loose" to shift without the clutch, my tranny has less than 2000 miles on it now and all of those 2000 have been shifted w/o the clutch. Rpms just have to be under the max shifting rpms. I can usually glide the gears at a very low rpm but if it is too high it will then grind. :chillin: