5Spd Shift Knobs - Are they "fragile", or am I too

I fixed mine on the XJ years ago with some caulking that the builders left behind. I think it was urethane based. Now, I've replaced the chrome bumpy one on my 4 speed MJ with a 5 speed one. It's been over a year and there have been no changes the knob hasn't changed to 4 speed nor has the trans changed to a 5 speed and it's still loose. Nothing is happening. I'm cetaintly not going to pay for a knob (or fix it) for a trans I rather not have or take out a perfectly good trans to match a broken knob. How can I sleep with this on my mind?

Then of course the Federal website that had fuel mileages stated that 1988 4 cylinder, 4 speed got better mileage than the 5 speed.

Is this a hijack, sorry?

It's a shame synchro mesh and helical gears were developed because with today's electronics we could have green lights or rpm control to match gear rpm so that straight cut gears would slide right in. Gee no skill in that either.

That looks really good, BLHTAZ, whats the pricing on those if u don't mind me asking?
With shipping... $17

Wade... That got there fast :eek: . I sent it first class mail on Tuesday and you have it installed on Thursday night :eek: .

Thank you!! Glad I could help... :cheers:

Driving with the new knob is NICE...It "feels" much better in the hand, and makes the stick feel a little "shorter", I'm not sure that it is, but it feels that way...

The wife drove the MJ to work 2nite, and she complained about the shifter falling off, so we will see how she likes it.

She also complains about the Seat and not being able to adjust it forward... I guess something else for me to look at...

SW2

New topic (related question):Shift boot retainer ring, is it fragile or am i too muscular...

thats right today i was installing my hand throttle setup and broke the 3rd retaining ring for the shift boot so far :headpop:

New topic (related question):Shift boot retainer ring, is it fragile or am i too muscular...

thats right today i was installing my hand throttle setup and broke the 3rd retaining ring for the shift boot so far :headpop:

Mines cracked but it stays in for now... I will probably replace with a new one if/when I get a new console... I think Brent can get new ones for about $10, but I'm sure he can chime in for sure...

I'm going to use some LORD plastic adhesive that i brought home from work and try to hold it in place. it should word, the stuff is used to hold signs on buildings, its extremely strong. If not, ill get a new one (again). I got the others from chrysler parts direct (BTW, they have A LOT of the hard to find MJ parts) for about $10 but if i need a new one again ill go to Brent for sure. jamminz.gif