Painting the chrome window trim black!

Has anyone successfully painted the chrome window trim black?

I have read that chrome plated trim is actually nickel plated first, and then a thin flash of chrome is plated on. Paint does not stick to chrome; so it is best to strip it off with muriatic acid.

Any thoughts on how to do this correctly?

Why oh why would anybody want to paint over beautiful polished s/s brightwork?? :nuts: I think I'm having a coronary............. :eek:

I just had my windshield trim, side window trim, drip rails, and bumpers powder coated black jamminz.gif

My truck is the exact opposite from yours, no chrome at all, all blacked out.

Succumb to the Dark Side!! :evil: :cheers:

Ay Bilot! WTF is this world coming to?? Doesn't anyone like chrome anymore? Maybe I'm over the hill now.........

EDIT: Hell no! Like all automotive cycles, chrome will return.

And soon...... :beerhead:

I like chrome a lot of the time, it cleans up a lot better with just a hose. And it doesn't rust. Ah how I hate rust.

The original rear bumper on my '88 XJ lasted 18 years. The replacement is barely two years old, hasn't seen anywhere near as much snow and salt, and is already rusted through the "chrome" plating on the top surface.

I like chrome a lot of the time, it cleans up a lot better with just a hose. And it doesn't rust. Ah how I hate rust.

The original rear bumper on my '88 XJ lasted 18 years. The replacement is barely two years old, hasn't seen anywhere near as much snow and salt, and is already rusted through the "chrome" plating on the top surface.

It's got to be plated properly... The OEM peices are generally quite good. At least with the chrome door handles I can take them off without breaking them.

Thanks to all for the help with this question.

Brigarpeon, does Rustoleum make etching primer?

I don't know if Rustoleum does. Most automotive paint supply houses have their paint brand in etching primer, in aerosol. It's a little pricey but worth it. Unless you don't mind peeling paint.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?item ... pe=PRODUCT

Ay Bilot! WTF is this world coming to?? Doesn't anyone like chrome anymore? Maybe I'm over the hill now.........

EDIT: Hell no! Like all automotive cycles, chrome will return.

And soon...... :beerhead:

I too have removed/removing the chrome from my MJ. Chrome is for my Harley jamminz.gif