Jack Mount Hardware

...Where/how does the OEM Jack and extensions mount? Mine are bouncing around under my seat and I don't see any OEM hooks or latches or anything... It's not that problem some under the seat, but someday, once I get this thing trail ready, I don't really want it flopping around while off road...

Thanks...

On another note, One of the reasons I like the forum is I don't get hammered for asking the "simple" questions... you ask this on other Jeep forums that I frequent, and you would FLAMED big time for asking something that a 5 year old should know. Since I did a search and glanced thru my Service Manual and don't have an owners manual, this is this best way for me to learn this kind of stuff... Since I've never really been inside another MJ other than mine, never owned an XJ, I don't know how some of this stuff works.

THANKS ALL!

In the pile of steel to recycle... :brows:

Get a good 4-way, a HI-lift jack and a aluminum floor jack. A 15"x24" board for use on soft soil, a pair wheel chocks and a couple of jacks stands with 15"x15" boards to use with them.

I'm also mounting loops to hook up a chain wraps around the axle so it doesnt have to droop when jacking it up. It makes it way easier.

Well thats my trail supplys(except my floor jack is steel).

They mount in my storage box.

The real question is does anybody have the adaptor for the spare tire winch? I know, I use the end of the jack handle. I'm just curious what it looks like.

I think the jack handle is what Jeep provided to use. A 3/8" drive speed wrench works well if you grind down the end like a large flat blade screw driver.

7333_1.JPG

Look in the owners manual at, least AMC vintage and the placard above the jack storage. The adapter allows the use of the lug wrench to lower the spare. You don't always have 5 feet of clearance to use the jack handle. I figure the owner had a flat, lowered the spare used the lug wrench, leaving the adapter in the winch, threw the flat into the bed, and drove off. In the manual it looks like a screw driver. Obviously it will be 3/4 hex and turned down with some flats to go into the winch.

I was just wondering if any exist in captivity or are they all along the road somewhere wondering what they did wrong while they rust away and get driven over. Oh, sorry, got a little caried away.

Also, not to hi-jack (no pun intended :roll: ) But what is that metal piece mounted in the middle of the panel behind the seats for? Up and to the left if your facing where the jack mounts.

Look at the pictures above, that metal piece accepts a clip that the jack handle snaps into.

The adapter allows the use of the lug wrench to lower the spare. In the manual it looks like a screw driver. Obviously it will be 3/4 hex and turned down with some flats to go into the winch.

I was just wondering if any exist in captivity or are they all along the road somewhere wondering what they did wrong while they rust away and get driven over.

I bought my 1990 new and all that came with the truck is what's pictured in my first post, there was no shorter adapter.

I know in 86 the owners manual shows the adapter and the folding lug wrench as in the XJ. My 88 had the solid lug wrench that is shown above but the placard on the rear panel still refers to an adapter. Looks like at the end of the AMC time there was a cost savings by switching the lug wrench and eliminating the adapter.

If you aren't suppose to put the curve top of the jack under the axle, where did they want you to put it?

Thanks, a great example of last minute engineering with wrong design constraints. The assumption was to use the XJ lug wrench, so design a fix. The following year, 'Dude, it would be cheaper just to use an old style lug wrench. The adapter was a bet longer than excepted. Sticks out to clear the bumper?

• 4 months later...
I got all the parts in my 86 mj too but no bungy thingy.

Can I still get that bungy cord?

So can I get it still?

I had to find one here with one of the guys that had an extra... probably your best bet, other than a Junk Yard/Pick-n-Pull type deal...

Wade