Verry slow progress but oh well, here she is....

I would like you all to meet my '86 MJ 2WD. It's a 2.5 TBI with a 4 speed. Vinyl bench, rubber floors, very much the stripper model (she only did that to get through college though). Basically all of the things I have done have been cosmetic. See, she only had 59k on the clock when my Dad bought her for $900. I got her in Feb. of 07 as a birthday present (even though she was really mine long before that) with only 71k! :D This truck has lived it's entire life in NC and rust is hard to find. The floors, rockers, quarters, everything really are rock solid. Mechanically, we have put on a new water pump, a new clutch, replaced the valve cover gasket, new plug wires, a new battery, new belts, new tires, and a new oil pressure light switch. That's it. Every thing else has just been tinkering. I switched to a set of 15 x 7 steel wheels from a Wrangler. Center caps were too shallow so I went without em for a while. Recently I stuck on the old stock centers just for giggles. They're ridiculous but temporary. I just bought a set of alloys from a '95 (-ish?) Cherokee to replace them. I thought about powder coating them but I may just paint them. My buddy's got a compressor and a gun set up for little projects so we'll see.... I replaced the lower panel of the dash board with one that is less cracked. So now I have an ashtray! A friend of mine made me a custom billet shift knob so that's new. I primered the hood black, yeah I know... sooooo original. I like it though. It needs a good coat of satin black on top if I can ever get the rattle can lines out of it. I did a hack job on the exhaust. Put a Thrush universal muffler on it and dumped it in front of the axle. I put in a Pioneer CD player and some JBL speakers and got rid of the garbage that was in there.... whew. Okay, some pictures, then I'll open 'er up for suggestions. I want to do something a little wild with the exterior but a 4wd swap is not in the equation. Is there any way to hook up a 2WD without the 4WD guys calling me a poser? I was considering a vey mild lift and some 30's... any thoughts?

Pics...

As chronologically as possible...

Flexing her out.... haha!! couldn't help myself...

Here's a very stolen picture representative of my new wheels. Nothing special. Just better than my steelies.

That's all I got for now, sorry for the different size pictures... Thanks!

Heck yeah! I grew up in the rust belt so I understand. Western PA is no kinder to trucks than the great lakes states I'm sure. I'm familiar with your family of MJ's. Your son and I have exchanged messages on a site about cars and domains. He's a cool dude, almost as cool as that MJ 3800!

Heck yeah! I grew up in the rust belt so I understand. Western PA is no kinder to trucks than the great lakes states I'm sure. I'm familiar with your family of MJ's. Your son and I have exchanged messages on a site about cars and domains. He's a cool dude, almost as cool as that MJ 3800!

AFAIK, Pete doesn't have any kids; unless there's something he's never told us before. ;) I think you're thinking of opsled and his son Jeepco. Both of them are good people to know.

Not that Pete isn't good people to know :D , but you all know what I mean.

EDIT: BTW, I've seen your MJ on that "cars and domains" site as well, very nice rig.

AFAIK, Pete doesn't have any kids; unless there's something he's never told us before. ;) I think you're thinking of opsled and his son Jeepco. Both of them are good people to know.

Not that Pete isn't good people to know :D , but you all know what I mean.

EDIT: BTW, I've seen your MJ on that "cars and domains" site as well, very nice rig.

yeah i agree Joe.

i think you are thinking of the guy that buys 20 comanches a month a.k.a Jeepcomj a.k.a Pat and his dad :D

Wow :eek: I never knew Pete was pat's dad. Man is oplsled gonna be pissed off when he finds out how much money he's lost in child support the last 20 years :rotfl2:

Anyway, I don't think putting a bigger lift on would be dumb at all. If ya don't need or use 4wheel drive ,don't worry about it. I think 3" is a great looking height for a DD. But if yer gonna keep haulin heavy stuff I'd definately go with rear springs that have a better load rate.

By the way your truck looks great :D

Oh yeah, about the heavy stuff. That probably won't happen again. That was long before the title was in my name. That was one scary carnival ride trying to get that pallet of pavers home. In retrospect, I probably could have made a few trips. She's definitely a bit more pampered now. Thanks for the input. I would love to give her a boost to add some character. I kinda drive like a Grandpa these days and I don't like to really pound the motor on the Interstate (about 6 miles per day, total) so I think the extra tire height won't make much difference to me. We'll see. I'm leaning towards black on the new wheels...

That is one super clean mj, it does apear to have been repainted at least on one side , and my i ask as to why u painted the hood flat black over a nice paint job . the flat black hood is a clasic on some hot rods but they atleast don't have the tigerstripes?

Upon further inspection I did find some less than stellar body work on the left rear corner. The taillight is just a hair out of line and the body line is not as sharp where it wraps around to the tailgate. So apparently there was a hit on the corner. Kinda explains the chrome rear bumper too (unless I'm too dumb to know that they all had them, which is possible). The clear coat was completely gone from the hood. And you can see where it's doing it again on the cowl, roof, bedrails, etc. A new paint job is in the future plans but I'll probably keep the hood a satin black. Next time it'll be painted with a gun though, not a can. :D My ultimate dream is a V8 swap and to that the hot rod look should lend itself nicely.

Upon further inspection I did find some less than stellar body work on the left rear corner. The taillight is just a hair out of line and the body line is not as sharp where it wraps around to the tailgate. So apparently there was a hit on the corner. Kinda explains the chrome rear bumper too (unless I'm too dumb to know that they all had them, which is possible). The clear coat was completely gone from the hood. And you can see where it's doing it again on the cowl, roof, bedrails, etc. A new paint job is in the future plans but I'll probably keep the hood a satin black. Next time it'll be painted with a gun though, not a can. :D My ultimate dream is a V8 swap and to that the hot rod look should lend itself nicely.

If thats your plan you should check out <> I don't think it would look right on a Comanche all over though,, You might be able to get away with just the hood,, but it'll still just look like primer to the average joe..