I've been gargling around the idea of how to make bed sliders appetizing for some time now and I like the way yours are going!  Do you expect them to be strong enough to stand on, or are they only meant to hold up to force applied from the side?

I haven't thought about standing on them.  I'm not sure if they are that strong.  I designed them with side impacts in mind to try to help distribute the force across as much sheet metal as possible.  Not sure if I'd trust them to much vertical loading like that.

Willy

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those look great, especially for not using a bender. Great job creating a esthetically pleasing slider with no curves!  I am doing bed rails soon, still trying to figure out how I want to go about mounting them. I like your way, gonna look good. Wanna see them mounted up.

Those look great, especially for not using a bender. Great job creating a esthetically pleasing slider with no curves!  I am doing bed rails soon, still trying to figure out how I want to go about mounting them. I like your way, gonna look good. Wanna see them mounted up.

Thanks.  Here are a few more mounted before paint.  I ended up drilling the mounting holes larger than the face of the nutserts.  That way the nutserts will be recessed and the sliders will sit flush against the bed side.

This should take care of any future problems I have with straight tube.   :D

Willy

To get some practice with the tube bender I decided to work on something fairly simple.  Time for some front tube fenders.

Started with some fender skins I picked up a while back just for this project.

Attempting to position and balance all the pieces.  This would have been much easier if I just had eight hands.

Driver side tacked together.

The pieces for the passenger side.

Passenger side tacked together.

Willy

those tube fenders are going to be interesting I always wondered why no one has made any for a comanche yet.  I know a local offroad shop make some here in Colorado but never seen them in real life.  Ill be following this closely to see how they turn out.

those tube fenders are going to be interesting I always wondered why no one has made any for a comanche yet.  I know a local offroad shop make some here in Colorado but never seen them in real life.  Ill be following this closely to see how they turn out.

Jeep Tubes makes an MJ/XJ tube fender kit.  So far I think they are the only company I've seen make XJ/MJ tube fenders.

Willy

Jeep Tubes makes an MJ/XJ tube fender kit.  So far I think they are the only company I've seen make XJ/MJ tube fenders.

Willy

Hooligan in Louisville Colorado makes them as well for XJs http://hooliganoffroadengineering.com/

why not bend the tube to mate to the fender skin instead of cutting a different piece of tube on an angle?  looks good though.

Because everybody else does it that way.  I also wanted to try to match the style of the rock sliders and bed sliders.

Willy

Willy did you get the heavy duty 20 ton SWAG or the other one they sell?

Nice tube bender, looks like it also uses a 20 ton hydraulic jack. Brand?

Can't wait to see if you fill in the fender tubes with sheet...

It is their 20 ton HD finger brake kit.

The tube bender is from Rogue Fabrication.  It uses an 8 ton air/hydraulic ram.

Yes, the fenders will get filled in.  I am thinking about filling in the top and bottom.  Otherwise they would just fill up with mud and other junk.

Willy

You will love the break. Its what I used to make my gas tank skid. Works really well. Fenders look great, and I totally understood why you did the two straight pieces back to fenders, gotta keep the flow going front to rear on the look. Also, I like the bed sliders much better flush and more so it will distribute the weight along bed much better than putting the pressure on all the inserts only.

YA! and ......lets catch up this summer and make a run. I do know were going to Liberty or Naches June 21st weekend. Also Rubi and Fordyce Aug 4-9th. Otherwise let me know what is coming up  that you have planned and lets get out there and run. ..

You will love the break. Its what I used to make my gas tank skid. Works really well. Fenders look great, and I totally understood why you did the two straight pieces back to fenders, gotta keep the flow going front to rear on the look. Also, I like the bed sliders much better flush and more so it will distribute the weight along bed much better than putting the pressure on all the inserts only.

YA! and ......lets catch up this summer and make a run. I do know were going to Liberty or Naches June 21st weekend. Also Rubi and Fordyce Aug 4-9th. Otherwise let me know what is coming up  that you have planned and lets get out there and run. ..

I hadn't thought about using it for a gas tank skid plate.  That's something I've needed for quite a while.   :hmm:

All the CJs, YJs, TJs, etc. seem to run tube fenders anymore.  I've always liked them, but wanted to build something that didn't look the same as everybody else's.

I'll have to credit Ron with the idea to recess the nutserts.  I was a little disappointed after I installed them that they didn't sit flush.  I was really attempting to distribute any forces across as large of an area as possible.  I think recessing them should help with that.

Yes, we should get together some time.  I'm glad you didn't sell your's.  I really wanted to see it in person.  June will probably be pretty busy for me.  I think the next trip I'm going to be able to make is Trail Jam the week of July 8th.  Pretty much all my free time has been spent trying to finish this enough to wheel it that week.  After that our club has a run to the Fortune Creek area August 17/18 and we are going to Moab the week of September 30th.  I know my summer will probably get busier after Trail Jam when I talk to friends and see what other trips are coming up.

Willy