• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After that I chopped up some tube for my rock sliders.  Pretty much since I built the sliders I wished I had added stand offs to help protect the cab and body a little better.  Now I'm taking the time to do it.

The ends for the stand offs and notched supports for both sides.

Driver's side clamped in place.

Ends tacked on.

Willy

I wanted to try to preserve the sheet metal on this bed as much as possible, so I built some bed sliders to help battle all the trees we have around here.

I added nutserts to hold them in place.  I was a little disappointed how far these stick out.  I didn't realize they wouldn't mount flush against the metal.  So be it.  We'll see how they hold up.

Willy

not sure how i feel about the bed sliders just yet, but great work as usual!

They're not exactly my favorite either, but I knew I needed something to protect this bed after beating the other one to hell.  In this case protection won out over style.  I'm hoping once I get the rear fenders done it may help tie everything together.

Great work! Those bedsliders sure are different.

Thanks, I always try to come up with something different.

Willy

I knew the sliders would want to warp while finish welding.  So I used a few scrap aluminum spacers and some clamps to put some reverse tension on it.  This also had the additional benefit of preventing the bench top from completely lighting on fire.

Apparently it worked.

Willy

The innovation, design, fab and welding you've accomplished on your MJ is awesome, combined with the wheeling pics makes this a favorite build thread. Love the build break improve mindset.

Question I've been meaning to ask you - all of your 1/4" and 3/8" steel plate cuts look etremely straight, square and have almost a polished edge. I've seen cuts like that using a power shear or a plasma table, but they would both be a huge piece of equipment for the average shop.

What are you doing to get such great cuts on your fabbed steel?

The innovation, design, fab and welding you've accomplished on your MJ is awesome, combined with the wheeling pics makes this a favorite build thread. Love the build break improve mindset.

Question I've been meaning to ask you - all of your 1/4" and 3/8" steel plate cuts look etremely straight, square and have almost a polished edge. I've seen cuts like that using a power shear or a plasma table, but they would both be a huge piece of equipment for the average shop.

What are you doing to get such great cuts on your fabbed steel?

Prior to this year it was all angle grinder or chop saw.  Since January a lot of it has been this.   :D

Image Not Found

Willy

Well than I gotta say you are a master with the chop saw and angle grinder - some of the skinny triangular shapes you made for the front winch bumper really caught my attention, same for the bumper mounts - so now the new tool gets the "call to duty" haha! Rock on.... 

I've been gargling around the idea of how to make bed sliders appetizing for some time now and I like the way yours are going!  Do you expect them to be strong enough to stand on, or are they only meant to hold up to force applied from the side?