Choice of tools...?

DirtyComanche

Here's my problem... I have to buy another set of tools for work. Luckily I don't need a stupid amount.

I 'need' a whole set of SAE sockets in 12-point 1/4 drive through 3/8, plus u-joints/exentions/adapters, and a 1/2" drive ratchet. Standard SAE combination wrenches. A ratcheting screwdriver, and 1/4 drive ratcheting screwdriver, ratcheting box ends, and off-set open ends.

Plus a new dead-blow, ball peen, punches, picks, drifts, short pry bar, and a bunch of other stuff that I haven't thought about.

The question is who should I buy from? Some of it will basically have to be snap-on, as Mac doesn't have many dealers here... There's also craftsman (sears) which is what I mostly use at home. But the sears are rather scarce if I must return a tool. And there's other brands too.

So, should I just go all snap-on? Or buy only what I must from them and get craftsman for the rest?

Buy only what you must from Snap-on and get Craftsman for the rest.

I was a tech for 15 years and this is what I did. If you try you might find a good deal on old used Snap-on boxes. I can trade mine in for 3 times what I paid for it. They are well built and are deeper with better drawer arrangements.

Some of the new Craftsman boxes are pretty nice too.

I got an unbelievable deal on a toolbox full of snapon tools for 500 bucks when I was 17. I didn't have the cash so my father bought it for me for hs graduation just because of the deal.

That being said, I have a set of tools at work and home so I have all kinds of brands. The only time I use snap on over my other stuff is for ratchets, tq wrenches, etc. My other stuff is Proto Professional, SK, and Craftsman. If any of those three are easy for you to find, I definetly recommend them.

Hope that helped,

Matt

I make a living with my tools use them every day. I agree with Snapon and Matco for tools you use every day and specialty tools. Craftsman for the other stuff. Old SK tools were good stuff, the new SK is junk. I bought a couple of their socket sets and screwdrivers sets, pure junk! and near impossible to get warranteed.

I deliver appliances for lowes, we can only use kobalt and task force......both are complete crap task force being the worst. the sockets fall apart and lock up. get craftsman, that way you at least have a lifetime warranty.

Most everything I have is craftsman. Sears isn't too far away, but pretty much the only things I've returned so far were phillips and torx screwdrivers.

Craftsman screwdrivers aren't very good. I only use fuller at home. But I'm going to buy a snap-on ratcheting one and another set of fullers this time around. The snap-on soft grip screwdrivers are affected by oil, same goes for most other soft grip screwdrivers. Which is useless. Both the snap-on I'm getting and the fullers don't have that issue...

I have used Craftsman for 35 yrs and they are good, but over the past few years I have been getting some Kobalt and have to say I do like them. And have only had one break to date. And then it broke after everything else I had already broke :roll:

Also I have a Duralast breaker bar that I would not trade for anything. And it has outlasted 2 Craftsman breaker bars, so I am not sure who makes it for them.

About %95 of my tools are craftsman, and I'm pretty happy with them. Only broke so far were a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter, and a piped breaker bar on a seized lugnut will do that I guess. A tamper proof Torx socket, and I kinda cracked a socket.

Snap-on and Mac are a lot higher quality..but considering Craftsman still rarely breaks and they all have the same frikin warranty, I don't think they're really worth the cost unless you have nothing better to do with your money.

I've seen Snap-On's website, I don't care how good a tool box is, $20k is a bit much...

i prefer matco, but some of the stuff is just as good a quality as craftsman.

most of my tools are craftsman because of the price. i do mange to break a socket or something at least once a week tho :oops: but i have a sears nearby.

if your looking for a set of swivel sockets i say go to sears you can get 1/4 ANd 3/8 drive sae and metric for 200 bucks, compared to over 200 for just a set of 1/4 metric from matco or snapon