I'm a big guy (6'4" 260) the cab in my MJ is a little cramped. I want to free up some room. Will Buckets from an XJ bolt in or is there modifications that will need to be made? My other thought was the Mastercraft seats, again they would have to use XJ brackets.

What have some of the other big guys on here done to make life in the MJ a little more comfortable?

I like the stretched Cheromanche's I have seen on here but that is way more work than I want to get involved with right now. Maybe after I get the shop up and running! :D

I gained like 3 inches of headroom when I tore out the stock headliner and instead lined the ceiling with automotive grade foam. I learned a hard lesson about the so-called "high-temp" glues though (the metal roof can get very hot in the sun) and eventually glued it up with exterior grade household black silicone.

I had to put it up in pieces due to using 1" foam and having to work around my sunroofs, but if there's no sunroof it'll likely go up as a single sheet.

If you have the bench seat in now, you can just cut the existing brackets and use them to mount to XJ buckets. However, I am 6'3" and did not head the warning about the "rocking chair" or "bull riding" buckets found in some of the XJ's. It sits about 3" higher then I would like, so much so that i have to be careful how close to a traffic light I get (otherwise I can't see it).

I too would be interested in any ideas (mastercraft is a thought, or what about those smittybilt ones?).

What exactly is the "Rocking Chair" warning?

I know in past XJ's I have owned I have broken a few seat frames :oops:

Someone will probably chime in with the pic... but the punch line is the same.

Some XJ's (87-90 I think) had a curved seat frame and a separate bar that allowed you to adjust the swivel or "rocking" of the seat. This extra mechanics seems to make the seat sit higher.

Pete, can we find a extensive thread or build one on doing xj bucket seats in your mj, and sticky the darn thing. I swear I've seen this a gazillion times in the last month....

I agree... but lets not detract from the original posters question.

I am sure there are a bunch of us that could learn from techniques or other possible seat swaps for the > 6' crowd.

I am especially interested if anyone has tried either the mastercraft or smittybilt seats. Any other OEM models work that sit a little lower?

Based on visual inspection, the MJ "bucket" brackets and the XJ "straight" brackets are virtually identical. Anyone know what the differences are?

BTW as to the OP's question, I'm currently fabbing some brackets to mount a pair of Corbeau Moab seats in my MJ. The major issue I'm dealing with is raising them back up to normal bucket seat height (they would be about 2" lower if I simply bolted them to stock brackets).

Perhaps this might work for you?

If I remember right, the straight XJ sliders are essentially the same as MJ sliders and can be bolted to the bench seat floor brackets.

Also, you'll need to find 2-door XJ seats if you want the seat to fold forward to get at the rear storage. 4-door XJ seats don't fold.

If anyone would like to track down individual members who have tried the various possibilities and options and then compile a thorough instructional post, we have a DIY forum now. :brows:

the difference between the MJ bucket and XJ straight is the floor brackets. if you put the xj straight tracks onto the mj bench floor brackets, you end up with an mj bucket bracket.

basically the main difference there is the spots they bolt to the floor, as there is a different slope in the xj cab vs. the mj one. if you use anything but the xj straight brackets, your seats end up a good 3" higher than stock...which I actually like in the 3800, and I'm 6'1" tall. BUT I need the leg room too...

Are you looking for MJ bucket seats?

I have a set that are in fairly decent shape, the brackets are a bit rusted where they were bolted to the floor, but they could be easily fixed. They are that funny Maroon color, what the heck they call it, cordovan or something, but like I say they are in pretty decent condition.

If it's bucket seats your looking for send me a PM. I'm in Pennsylvania too so we could meet, or atleast the shipping wouldn't be a zillion dollars

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
If you have the bench seat in now, you can just cut the existing brackets and use them to mount to XJ buckets.

the difference between the MJ bucket and XJ straight is the floor brackets. if you put the xj straight tracks onto the mj bench floor brackets, you end up with an mj bucket bracket.

XJ brackets will not bolt in an MJ. You can do some cutting and re-fitting to make an XJ seat fit on an MJ bracket, but that will not likely help you any.

I'm trying to put some buckets in my MJ, but there seems to be some dispute, can anyone from experence verify if I get a set of similar year XJ buckets if I'll be able to use the existing MJ bench seat brackets and just put the XJ bucket seats with the existing mounts onto my bench rails?

I'm trying to make this happen without drilling or cutting, as I only own a set of hand tools. If this is not possible, I would appreciate a clearly outlined plan that I could give to my buddy with a tool needed to drill/cut. Doesn't need to be detailed, just enough that I can convey my idea to my friend without seeming like a total idiot. In return I would be willing to write up a thread compiling all the information from the numerous threads on this topic into a single comprehensive in-depth, sticky worthy thread for the DIY section of our forums.

Thanks for any help or information.

Oh yeah, I guess this is necessary... :hijack:

Also, I stand around 5' 10" so the 3 extra inches mentioned in above responses would not be an issue, I'm looking for the easiest way to get bucket seats. XJ seats are easiest for me to get at local junkyards, but I am open to buying a set of MJ buckets from a forum member.

PM me with prices and color. I live in Reno NV so take that into consideration with shipping costs and the overall price. Also I would be willing to drive as far east as colorado, as far west as the ocean, and I'd go all the way north or south to either of the borders for the right price.

I modified the floor to accept the XJ 'rocker' seat brackets...it was not difficult but:

1) does make the seating position higher, and

2) positions the seats a little closer together, croweding the full length console a bit.

it works for us as we are a tad bit shorter then ya'll (under 6 foot).

I was reading and re-reading the DIY already posted about the seats, but he used the XJ brackets to. Also from what I could gather I'm not going to be able to do this without drilling. Is that what you mean by "modified the floor" when u put the XJ rocker brackets? I'm guessing the easiest way is to get the seats, take everything out of my cab, then set the seats in the truck, mark the holes then drill. Am I getting close?

I am open to buying a set of MJ buckets from a forum member.

PM me with prices and color. I live in Reno NV so take that into consideration with shipping costs and the overall price. Also I would be willing to drive as far east as colorado, as far west as the ocean, and I'd go all the way north or south to either of the borders for the right price.

Check yer PMs.

Also from what I could gather I'm not going to be able to do this without drilling. Is that what you mean by "modified the floor" when u put the XJ rocker brackets? I'm guessing the easiest way is to get the seats, take everything out of my cab, then set the seats in the truck, mark the holes then drill. Am I getting close?

Yeah - I did exactly that. I positioned them so that at least three of the bolts went through a frame rail lip, and suprisingly enought two of the origional bolts were correctly positioned and the other two were only off by about 1/2 inch. I used hardened stainless bolts, washers and nuts.

I did mine useing the factory MJ floor brackets bolted to the XJ "rocker" style seat frame, wasn't hard to do, I like it b/c it feels like I'm sittin lower than the same buckets that are in my moms XJ. But that's just me I'm used to low trucks, I've got all the pics and what not if anyone needs any info.

-Cody