1988 Street Truck - AWD, LS, 5 Speed, Discs

Here I am, posting another new build...again LOL.

I wasn't really actively looking, just browsing the local marketplace and came across this SWB, 2WD, 5 speed, 4.0 comanche that looked pretty clean. It hasn't run in a few years at least, and the trans is known to have problems. It was headed to the scrapper the next day. So I scraped together $500 and got myself my 4th MJ.

I loosely told my fiance the other day, after the Wagoneer restoration is done, and some loose ends on the others jeeps are tied up, I'd like to start a sport/muscle truck build. And then this happened to pop up for sale, on my birthday weekend, so it was a sign lol.

This jeep likely will get the drivetrain, electronics, and some other odds and ends scrapped off of it in the next 6mos - year.

It's got some rocker rust, and I'm sure the floors need love too, since it was $500 truck, it'll likely get some sort of budget oriented build, as my other three were very high budget builds. 

Currently it is:
-Renix 4.0

-BA-10 2WD
-Dana 35

The plan is:
-LS (likely 4.8 or 5.3)
-GM ECU/Harness
-Cam setup for high RPM power
-AX-15 W/LS bellhousing
-NP242 or NP249
-D30 with CV axles
-C8.25 with KJ Disc Brakes, and an LSD of sorts.
-WJ Master/Booster
-Nice stereo
-Working AC, Heat, etc.
-JK Sahara 18'' wheels
-V8 ZJ Sway bar
-coil Spacers/leaf mods to level it at near stock height
-WJ lower Controls arms
-Tie rod upgrade
-Bed toolbox?
-New bushings/bearings front to back.

Going for a really fun and reliable road cruiser, be able to slam gears and get sideways at will, or slap it into AWD and do some sprited driving. Where I live, a lot of fun, and smooth curve roads. Also I live up a dirt road that is slick when weather decides it is lol.

After I bought it I found out it was an Eliminator, not that I mind either way, but a nice perk. 

See Photos:

20240126_124332.jpg

20240126_125925.jpg

20240126_141242.jpg

20240126_141306.jpg

20240126_143937.jpg

20240126_143956.jpg

20240126_144004.jpg

20240126_144012.jpg

20240126_144019.jpg

Snapchat-901817075.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Doesn’t sound cheap but it does sound fun :holdwrench:

Ive learned that cheap is relative, compared to my other builds that are well into the 30k-40k range. Trying to keep this one under 10k.

11 hours ago, Salvagedcircuit said:

Nice job on saving her from the scrapper! Nice score :brows:

Thanks! It is definitely Salvageable.

9 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

Watched the walk around video last night looks like a good start for a project.

Sweet! Itll be a good project, I have never had to deal with rust repair being from Socal, so this will be a good little intro to that, its not completely rusted, but enough to make a learning project out of.

20 minutes ago, Comanche SS said:

Thanks! It is definitely Salvageable.

Sweet! Itll be a good project, I have never had to deal with rust repair being from Socal, so this will be a good little intro to that, its not completely rusted, but enough to make a learning project out of.

Luckyyyyy Dog!

Took my MJ trailer to get the new Engine for the build.

Just a basic Gen 3 4.8L (thought it was a 5.3 till I got it home LOL)

Itll get a cam, a car intake, and likely corvette accessory drive and that'll be about it. 

20240203_142954.jpg

20240203_143002.jpg

20240203_143029.jpg

18 hours ago, neohic said:

Nothing wrong with the plucky little 4.8s. :L:

Not at all, it'll be a good high RPM powerhouse in an otherwise stock weight MJ. Works out since this type of build won't need as much torque being a road touring style truck.

I pulled the heads and found some goodness today 

20240204_101730.jpg

20240204_101735.jpg

20240204_101738.jpg

Some nice small wins today.

Got to meet up with @ghetdjc320 who worked a deal with me for some unused parts from his build.

A fresh grill, with all the trim pieces & light housings, 10 slot grill, new Hella Lights, a new Rear bumper, and a refreshed original Comanche hitch. Also the original driveshafts that I may have to modify to work. Lastly, a set of XJ and MJ original flares with the internal nut plates in near perfect condition. This will be for my Wagoneer restoration and the Street MJ.

I went ahead and got some rollers on the truck and wheeled it next to my workshop to begin tearing it down for the LS swap. Hoping to get the Wagoneer restoration drivable in the next month, in which time the comanche can get into the workshop to get the conversion started. While it is outside it'll likely just get torn down and prepped. 

This week I also squared away the transmission, local to me sourced AX-15 with a quickdraw LS conversion bell housing.

20240210_173144.jpg

IMG_20240210_203550.jpg

Well, I went out to take off some accessories from the 4.0...got a little ahead of myself lol.

On the bright side, it's out and only one rust area under the battery. No big deal.

If anyone needs any 1988 4.0, puegot parts let me know!

20240211_143309.jpg

20240211_151206.jpg

20240211_151213.jpg

20240211_151217.jpg

20240211_151221.jpg

20240211_151224.jpg

20240211_152047.jpg

20240211_152053.jpg

20240211_152232.jpg

20240211_152238.jpg

Not much viewable progress. Just in the accumulating parts phase. 

This is turning out to be quite the budget/secondhand build. Also includes many accumulated parts from myself and buddies bartering parts.

I will be getting it into the garage by the end of march to start the swap, trying to accumulate the remainder of the hard parts before then. In the meantime the wagoneer is in the workshop keeping me busy, once that can drive out under its own power then I can start this MJ.

So far I'm into this build $2070 including buying the truck.

That price includes the following:

image.png.2194360665992631fd85441e69e61645.png

2 hours ago, neohic said:

Decent deal on that AX15/adapter. :L: I’m definitely following this build… very on par with something I’d build. 

I have a buddy that just swapped to a TR4050 in his LS XJ, and needed the AX-15 with Quickdraw LS housing out of his way. It clunks in reverse and needs synchros, but thats a good afternoon project. 

He even threw in a new-ish 300 mile flywheel/clutch/pressure plate set for free, as well as the trans mounts.

Stole it for $750 considering just the bellhousing kit is $700

IMG_20240214_115340_247.jpg

3 hours ago, Comanche SS said:

I have a buddy that just swapped to a TR4050 in his LS XJ, and needed the AX-15 with Quickdraw LS housing out of his way. It clunks in reverse and needs synchros, but thats a good afternoon project. 

He even threw in a new-ish 300 mile flywheel/clutch/pressure plate set for free, as well as the trans mounts.

Stole it for $750 considering just the bellhousing kit is $700

IMG_20240214_115340_247.jpg

:L: I think it’s the best setup on the market for the ax15. Really nice that you can use all stock Jeep parts up to the pressure plate.

1 minute ago, ghetdjc320 said:

:L: I think it’s the best setup on the market for the ax15. Really nice that you can use all stock Jeep parts up to the pressure plate.

That, and all stock Chevy parts from the pressure plate forward. 

Any of those parts can be easily had at most parts stores

• 2 weeks later...

Another parts accumulation update...

I bought a parts Cherokee last week, a 1998 with light grey interior.

This Comanche build is going to be a daily driver when complete, weather permitting obviously. Although I like the classis older interior, I can't fault the newer interior when it comes to everyday comfort. So I'll be swapping the interior to the 1998 light grey and black trim, keeping the MJ buckets seats though.

Exterior will remain original era.

The parts jeep also has the rear axle, windshield, brake master/booster, mirrors, and some ancillary parts I will need.

Also finally picked up the quickdraw AX-15 transmission, and will likely pick up the transfer case soon enough.

The Novak mounts should be here anyday, and if I could get rid of this flu, I can start making progress again!

20240226_143337.jpg

20240226_143345.jpg

On 1/27/2024 at 12:08 PM, Comanche SS said:

Ive learned that cheap is relative, compared to my other builds that are well into the 30k-40k range. Trying to keep this one under 10k.

But don't they all start out that way lol. I know mine did!!

Not much work done to the Jeep.

Did manage to find a NOS front bumper in a parts XJ I had sitting out back.

Unsure about the 97+ interior swap afterall, mostly due to the lack of good gauge options. don't really care for aftermarket gauges, and don't like the fact I'd have to run 2 ECU's for factory gauges.

The Renix OEM Gauges can work with the LS without any piggyback ECU deal. I can always 97+ swap later too....

Still trying to decide. It is a significant amount of work for something I am not totally sold on already. Still pondering...

1 hour ago, Comanche SS said:

Not much work done to the Jeep.

Did manage to find a NOS front bumper in a parts XJ I had sitting out back.

Unsure about the 97+ interior swap afterall, mostly due to the lack of good gauge options. don't really care for aftermarket gauges, and don't like the fact I'd have to run 2 ECU's for factory gauges.

The Renix OEM Gauges can work with the LS without any piggyback ECU deal. I can always 97+ swap later too....

Still trying to decide. It is a significant amount of work for something I am not totally sold on already. Still pondering...

I was really considering a 97+ interior swap originally just for the gauges and audio options. They make a nice double din dash kit to run a decent carplay/android head unit. And the dakota digital HDX setup for the 97+ XJ/TJ is awesome. Thinking about that setup for my current TJ. Ultimately I preferred the style of the original dash and once I found such a pristine black dash I was committed. Intellitronix makes a cluster for the TJ/XJ dash and even has the LS swap sensor adapters. Very cost effective and quiality gauges.