1992 Jeep Comanche "Maria"

Comanche update.

Floor pans are patched

carpet is shampooed

catalytic converter is installed

new shocks all the way around the truck

engine oil is changed.

Now just trying to get rid the disgusting smell in the cab of the truck where there was once a mouse brothel. carpet.jpg.c4e3dc8e447a975c737e6df16185387d.jpg1519747079_thumbnail(9).jpg.28c25f218267eaf9fcfd1d5e8e77c73a.jpg

Should have more exciting technical updates on this project soon. Right now its just a lot of cab cleaning and busy work from the previous mice residents. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/21/2023 at 1:49 PM, MariaManche said:

I am also concerned with the condition of these tires. They look like they have barley been on the road but there is some cracking in the treading from rubber fatigue. Does anyone have opinions on whether or not these are safe, and will pass inspection? 

tire.jpg.1814b0466e14574fc2f142157ee416a2.jpg

I will update with more pictures as I go. 

One thing I've noticed is that there is always a market for old tires.

If you are concerned about using them on the street, then sell them but be honest about the age and condition.  I guarantee someone is looking for a set of rollers to test fit on a project truck or a set to beat up on a dedicated off road buggy. Not to mention, some guys would be entirely comfortable running those on a daily driver as-is.

3 hours ago, MariaManche said:

Comanche update.

Floor pans are patched

carpet is shampooed

catalytic converter is installed

new shocks all the way around the truck

engine oil is changed.

Now just trying to get rid the disgusting smell in the cab of the truck where there was once a mouse brothel. carpet.jpg.c4e3dc8e447a975c737e6df16185387d.jpg1519747079_thumbnail(9).jpg.28c25f218267eaf9fcfd1d5e8e77c73a.jpg

Should have more exciting technical updates on this project soon. Right now its just a lot of cab cleaning and busy work from the previous mice residents. 

Try using an Ozone machine. My brother purchased a smokers F250. It stank. He left the Ozone machine run for a day and afterward the smell was gone.

1 hour ago, DesertRat1991 said:

One thing I've noticed is that there is always a market for old tires.

If you are concerned about using them on the street, then sell them but be honest about the age and condition.  I guarantee someone is looking for a set of rollers to test fit on a project truck or a set to beat up on a dedicated off road buggy. Not to mention, some guys would be entirely comfortable running those on a daily driver as-is.

Thanks for the advice! I think I am going to give them a try and if I don't like them, sell them. 

46 minutes ago, Salvagedcircuit said:

Try using an Ozone machine. My brother purchased a smokers F250. It stank. He left the Ozone machine run for a day and afterward the smell was gone.

What I found after pulling the carpet was an insane amount of mouse droppings in the driver cab corner. The mouse actually made a nest in the corner where its hard to get to. last night, I finally got all of the nest out and even the old mummified mouse. I sprayed the driver side with a Lysol hydrogen peroxide cleaner and it seemed to work really well. I might have to order the ozone machine if it does not go away. 

Not sure if this applies exactly to our Comanche 4.0s, but the use of this paper guiding tab for inserting the rear main seal is extremely helpful. I ruined 2 seals trying to guide them in the bearing block without it. Now that the TJ is back on the road, I plan to go after all the brakes on the Comanche.

After driving it over 150 miles the last two days, brakes are top on my list. It doesn't seem like I have much stopping power (could be the 35s). When braking the Comanche pulls extremely hard to the left ( could stuck caliper). 

1548615658_rearmainseak.jpg.2ab14b696e014c91bb9e596a34d6a659.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the Powerstop brake kit installed on driver and passenger side. Still need to replace the drum brakes and then bleed the system. I found a good write up from a CC member on bleeding the Comanche brake system. 

starting removing oxidation on my American Racing wheels. Using 320 grit, 1000 grit, and clear coat. Center caps were pretty trashy looking so they are getting some rust-oleum bedliner.

I have a new Rancho steering stabilizer I need to throw on but I’m not sure whether to leave the “extra” old stabilizer on the steering. I guess it wouldn’t hurt but from what I’ve read, you don’t need dual stabilizer unless you have worn components. 4108DA90-CAF9-45C4-AC89-16FD091AEAB4.jpeg.59b44037914257ff507e93e2be3f4590.jpegEAE3A9CE-CE84-4ED1-B93A-E07916AB0D98.jpeg.2c05d0b60510aa11e3c8b4012fc15c54.jpegA0BE9A74-BEA1-4155-99EE-18517B413242.jpeg.c25c56298d40cebf3db836b785b9223c.jpeg

Nice MJ. What state did that truck originate from.. I ask because that’s a rare aftermarket 90s grille guard it’s got from a Santa Barbara, California shop called True Radius Bending. They were short lived but always thought they did a great job following the XJ/ MJ lines. They also offered it in chrome. 

8 hours ago, Gjeep said:

Nice MJ. What state did that truck originate from.. I ask because that’s a rare aftermarket 90s grille guard it’s got from a Santa Barbara, California shop called True Radius Bending. They were short lived but always thought they did a great job following the XJ/ MJ lines. They also offered it in chrome. 

Originally sold in Maryland. I purchased from the original owner in Giles County, VA. 

That is really cool information. I have been wondering if the grille guard was an accessory option or aftermarket. 

7 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

I think that arm rest/cup/cassette holder was made by Saddlebags in Austin, TX.

You've seen one before? When I first purchased the jeep I did not pay it much attention and figured it was some cheap Walmart cup holder that I would just trash. It was laying in the bed of the truck. 

This is a mighty fine looking Comanche.

I work in engineering rubber parts.  Those cracks in the tires are due to tension combined with ozone attack, most likely caused by load from the rubber tread blocks while driving.  In theory the cracks will coalesce and create a larger crack.  Generally I'd say those tires look really good.  I'm not worried about these tires as the tread has belts and fabric reinforcement under the tread with rubber sealing it from the inside.  The trouble with knobby MT and AT tires is the tread blocks roll and cause a lot of tension in the rubber where you see the cracks when ever excessive acceleration or braking load is input.

43 minutes ago, pizzaman09 said:

This is a mighty fine looking Comanche.

I work in engineering rubber parts.  Those cracks in the tires are due to tension combined with ozone attack, most likely caused by load from the rubber tread blocks while driving.  In theory the cracks will coalesce and create a larger crack.  Generally I'd say those tires look really good.  I'm not worried about these tires as the tread has belts and fabric reinforcement under the tread with rubber sealing it from the inside.  The trouble with knobby MT and AT tires is the tread blocks roll and cause a lot of tension in the rubber where you see the cracks when ever excessive acceleration or braking load is input.

Thanks for the information! I am not in any rush to get some new shoes but once she is more roadworthy I plan on selling these and grabbing some 35 12.50 A/T. 

Do you work engineering rubber parts for the automotive industry? Just curious because I am an engineer at a plant that manufactures crankshaft bearings.