1992 Jeep Comanche "Maria"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, WranglerMangler said:

That will definitely impede air flow! 
Be sure to do the Cruiser54 ground upgrade while your there too. Makes a big difference in fan performance 

I thought that upgrade by Cruiser54 was for Renix only?

11 hours ago, MariaManche said:
22 hours ago, WranglerMangler said:

I thought that upgrade by Cruiser54 was for Renix only?

Think it’s “mostly” Renix tips.  All grounding  upgrades apply to all MJs. I do to as much as possible from his list to my HOs, seems to make the trucks much happier. 

• 2 weeks later...

I put together a parts list of what I need for the 8.8 swap. I will also need to re-gear the front dana 30 to 3.73. 

Does anyone of recommendations on 3.73 ratio ring and pinion for the Dana 30?

rear axle swap 8.8 New rotors/pads
XJ leaf shackle
1" spacers
1280 lb leafs
Diff cover
leaf/shock mount kit
yoke adapter
Dana 30 3.73 ring/pinion

8.8.jpg.dac894d107819bc17d3beeddeb3b24c6.jpg

I’ve also had good luck with Yukon gears and axle shafts. I have a set of very beat on D44s with Yukon R&P + Rear shafts that I’ve never had any problems with. (35” tires)

My friend spun his Yukon pinion and broke teeth in a D30 front with 36” tires, so they do have their limitations. 

• 4 weeks later...

Comanche Update

I should have taken more pictures of the process but I completely dissembled the dash to clean and fix wiring issues. Most of the wiring was in good shape but some had chew marks exposing the conductive copper. I used liquid electrical tape to fix most of these, but for one I had to cut out the bad and solder/heat-shrink. 

Blower motor was re-installed after deep cleaning that area of the engine bay. Painted my fuse box metal bracket and got the wiper fluid and puke box reservoirs looking like brand new. 

On my first test drive, I turned on the AC and the motor blew strong briefly and then shut off. I am guessing I blew a fuse but I have not dove into that yet. 

I drove the Comanche for about 80 miles and made note of action items to fix. There is an extremely annoying rattle that I need to locate and it still smells terrible even after all my cleaning efforts. I am going to try an ozone machine off of amazon to fix this now that I think all the mouse remains are gone. 

It is extremely nice having the original radio working.

IMG_3275.JPG.bf5c2d0548afc264dfa94c874edaedf1.JPG

IMG_3240.JPG.8684135c735f831c80e845df7fd8a52b.JPG