mans best friend-samson

JEEPERZ

So last wed. our golden retriever started throwing up. we decided to take him to the vet shortly after. We finally found out a few days later he had an obstruction in his stumac. so to surgery he went. We brought him home on Sunday, but yesterday he started throwing up again. We took him back and now they think he has pancreatitus. We absolutely love this dog. he isnt the sharpest tool in the shed, but he has a big heart. We have spent $8500 since last wed. trying to save our friend. Last night we, fiance' and i, had to have the talk about how much is too much $. Anyone been through this?

photo3gu4.jpg

man sorry for to that about your pet. I have not went thru this with are dogs but the wife would go to the end of the world for them. They are just like are kids. So I guess not to be a fool but you have already spent the 8500 on the pour guy I would see it thru.

man sorry for to that about your pet. I have not went thru this with are dogs but the wife would go to the end of the world for them. They are just like are kids. So I guess not to be a fool but you have already spent the 8500 on the pour guy I would see it thru.

o-u-r. our.

as for the golden retriever, I think that you'll want to see it through since you have spent so much already. how old is he? age will be a factor in what you can spend...when our german shepherd fractured his entire leg, he was close to 13. he had less than a year to go max, and half of that would have been spent recovering. he was miserable, and at the point we had the vet come to put him to sleep, he was OK with it, he knew what was going on, and it seems like he was thankful. that was the single hardest thing I've ever done...but, we did it for him not for me.

Factor in old age. If he is 13-14, he is rather old. Making him go through all the surgery will be stressful for him, and stressful for you. Also keep in mind that if he is old that another problem could arise very soon.

That being said, if it was my dog, and she was still young to middle aged I'd probobly have the vet do their best. I also think that $8,500 is a TON of money. I hope you meant $850. I've been to some of the big horse hospitals in New England, and $8,500 is a lot of money even for those big animals.

Have a discussion with your vet too. I know that helps when making a decission. What ever you do, I'm sure you both will have confidence that it is the right choice. Best of luck to you, your fiance, and your dog!

:cry:

Been there, done that. My dog Perri had a horrible infection that he wasn't supposed to live through. We paid for the treatment anyway (over thanksgiving weekend no less). One gi-normous bill later later he made a full recovery. That was maybe 6 years ago and he's ~13 now. Never ever regretted it. :D We certainly aren't rich, but the decision to fight the infection came easy. Everyone's circumstances are different though and it's something you two have to decide for yourself. But I can offer this bit of advice: get a second opinion, or even a third. I don't ever want someone to say they "think" the problem is such-and-such. They better be telling me precisely why they think that and then I'm going to another expert and see what he thinks. In the automotive world this is usually a defense against ripoff artists, but in the medical world it is a defense against the utterly innumerable possibilities that certain generic symptoms could be resulting from.

Good luck! :(

--Pete

My wife and I went thru about the same thing a couple years ago with our oldest cat, which was her family pet long before we ever met. She got to 21, and we had the "talk" when her health started to visibly start to fail. We decided that the first expression of pain we saw (hard to discern in pets, especially cats) would be the time. Within 3 months, we took her in and were with her as the vet put her at peace. Without doubt, the most emotional moment of my life.

The evening before, our three other cats all sat silently around her on the living room floor all night. Didn't eat, play, anything.....just sat there and groomed her. It was surreal. I still get chills thinking about it.

Make the decision that is best for you, your fiance, and your friend. It's not an easy one to make.

Jeff

we had to do the same thing a few years ago with our Border Collie. We got him when i was born in '89. He had a brain problem that there was no cure for. the vet said he would live for another year but he would be in pain the whole time. we had a family meeting, and came to the agreement to have him put down. it was hard times, but we felt that the decision was best for him. he wouldn't have to be in pain anymore.

my best wishes to you guys. do whats best for the dog.

I've been throught this with several pets, the last was my wifes cat that I gave her our first Christmas after we were married. We put alot of $$ into keeping him as long as we could, over 20yrs. Someone once told me that your pet is family. You then have to ask yourself, what would you do for any other family member. The decision will be tough. Best wishes.

thanks everyone for the kind words. samson does have pacriatitus. the prognosis is looking on the up side. we will just have to wait and see. The nice thing abo ut this place is we can go visit for long periods of time. they roll in the IV machine, lay down a blanket and let him hang out with us as long as we want. i couldnt get out of work til about two thirty, but went over there after that. i think it really helps that we are there when he wakes up. we left about a half hour ago. steph will be back over there in the morning when i go to work. if he picks up and does well, he could be home as soon as friday. by the way samson in 9 years old. oh, no typo $8500 is correct. well worth it when he gets better.

photo1kb5.jpg

photobg8.jpg

Samson may possibly be getting better. steph said this morning he is more alert and wanting his usual scratch. she should be talking to the doctor soon. we should know more very soon!! jamminz.gif

notice the ball in mouth, that is a sure sign.

My pet IS my kid!!! :roll: ;) :eek: :D

He is laying between my feet as I write this now.

He is 10 this year, I know he won't last long...I DREAD the day.

I have lost three grand parents, my mother and two dogs. NONE where easy. My second dog and my mom where the worst. my dog died in my brothers arms on the way to the vet. Both died from Cancer. That's life, if it weren't what it is, it wouldn't be worth living. Take what each day offers and live it to the fullest, never miss the chance to let the people (and pets) know you love them.

I wish you the best with your buddy!!

CW

Boy CW, talk about spoiled! :cheers:

If I could caption this, he's glaring at the camera and thinking:

PISS OFF MATE! :D :D

Our Norwegian Elkhound passed on this summer. She was 15 years old, and had lived with us in five countries around the world. Our 3rd daughter. She died doing what she loved to do, chasing cars, although not very fast anymore. She wasn't hit; she always stayed well clear, and the vet said her heart just gave out. Damn that was tough....

This is my 5 yr old Rodesian Ridgeback, Zanzibar. He had a cancerous tumor about the sixe of a small tangerine removed from his LR hip 9 months ago. Unfortunatly they didn't get it all and more lumps are popping up here and there on his body. We've decided to let him go until he shows signs that its getting the best of him then we'll put him down. You seldom win with the big C. Gonna be tuf to do it.

Image Not FoundImage Not Found[/img]

photo1mx1.jpg

photo1mx1.c258551b1d.jpg

this is a good thing, samson is laying in his regular pose for a scratch. we think sam is recovering nicely. he should be able to come home by friday or saturday. they just need to get him off the IV and the feeding tube, back to regular food and water. jamminz.gif since were showing all our dogs, i can't forget about murphy!

as a puppy

1262652imgod5.jpg

they both love the longboard!

img9475rn4.jpg

Hornbrod, Spoiled...dude you don't know the half of it!! LOL LOL

A couple months back he began having troubles with his knee's. He has worn thru his cartilage in them. SO, his running/jumping days are done. He gets around OK for the most part. but he has gotten quite accustomed to my Wife catering to him. She makes his dinner and brings it to him where ever he is. She also brings him his water. the funny part is he calls her when he wants something. Rot's are very vocal and extremely smart. He has her wrapped around his paw..literally.

When I get home, he gets right up and comes over to me for attention, and follows me around the house. Until my wife gets home that is. Then its PLOP right in the hall between the kitchen and living room. Followed by groan, groan, woof. Its also has a very disgusted tone...like WILL YOU HURRY UP AND DO SOMETHING FOR ME. :roll: This gets progressively louder until either I say "KNOCK IT OFF" or she gives him attention/food/water he is looking for. When its water, its overly hysterical, as his water dish of about 4' away in the kitchen. but he will make her bring it to him...and SHE DOES!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Its down right comical, I do not cater to him as she does and he doesn't expect me to but he sure does expect it from her!!!

VERY GLAD to hear the POSITIVE UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like he will be home for Christmas. That's GREAT NEWS!!!

Merry Christmas everyone,

CW

Hornbrod, Spoiled...dude you don't know the half of it!! LOL LOL

A couple months back he began having troubles with his knee's. He has worn thru his cartilage in them. SO, his running/jumping days are done. He gets around OK for the most part. but he has gotten quite accustomed to my Wife catering to him. She makes his dinner and brings it to him where ever he is. She also brings him his water. the funny part is he calls her when he wants something. Rot's are very vocal and extremely smart. He has her wrapped around his paw..literally.

When I get home, he gets right up and comes over to me for attention, and follows me around the house. Until my wife gets home that is. Then its PLOP right in the hall between the kitchen and living room. Followed by groan, groan, woof. Its also has a very disgusted tone...like WILL YOU HURRY UP AND DO SOMETHING FOR ME. :roll: This gets progressively louder until either I say "KNOCK IT OFF" or she gives him attention/food/water he is looking for. When its water, its overly hysterical, as his water dish of about 4' away in the kitchen. but he will make her bring it to him...and SHE DOES!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Its down right comical, I do not cater to him as she does and he doesn't expect me to but he sure does expect it from her!!!

VERY GLAD to hear the POSITIVE UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like he will be home for Christmas. That's GREAT NEWS!!!

Merry Christmas everyone,

CW

:jump: Great news on Samson! He's a tough guy. jamminz.gif

samson is now home!!! jamminz.gif as far as i can tell he is as good as new. we have to go back to get the staples removed in 7 days. i can tell he is really glad to be home as well. Thank you all for the support and advice during his stay at the hospital. this is a great forum, with great people :cheers: