Leaking fuel filter?

This morning I cranked my truck up to heat up before going to a family get together. I went back inside to get gifts situated then came back out and smelled a nauseating amount of gas around my truck. I looked and looked then I spotted a puddle right at my driver side door that was ever so growing. Dragged me hand through it. Lo and behold it was gas. It was also dripping from a cylinder hooked up to various hoses? And it was a steady drip. My cars radiator froze up due to having water in it from summer time. Had to improvise during summer from a situation using water. So the back of the motor was scorching hot and the front was coldish/barely warm. Also had a "hot engine cooling" red light turn on. I also do not have photos of the cylinder that was leaking gas. I was so frustrated. My question is is that is it normal or heard of of the fuel filter leaking gas?

No I don't know when it was serviced. However I did order 2 brand new ones. Its hard to tell. I'll have to look when I get home tomorrow. Family gave me a ride. It appeared to be leaking towards the end cylinder like pointing towards the gas tank. I don't know if the hose went bad, clamp messed up or what. It does seem to stop leaking upon driving. Very hesitant to do so. Reason I know it doesn't leak while driving is because I backed it up the driveway and drove back down and did not see any droplets of gas. Especially on pavement. Would have been dark spots. But when I stopped and put it in park it started dripping again. If I had to estimate the drip time I would estimate its about a 1 second per drip. I let it idle for about 10 minutes then saw and really smelled it first. The whole cylinder was drenched in gas. From what I looked at and being in a hurry it looks to be factory 

change the filter hoses and clamps, its probably an old hose that has cracked due to the cold. you might want to make sure the block did not crack with water and freezing temps, get that thing inside to thaw out then drain the water and get some antifreeze in it if no damage

My Monte Carlo was the one that has water in it from summer. My Comanche is leaking gas. I also have nowhere to put it inside as I do not own a inside garage. I do not believe the block is cracked because nothing on the motor was wet. However the back was steaming and the front was not. The rad hoses didn't feel warm either. But the jeep is running 50/50 fram ready to use green stuff. My car if I recall is running water. I so hope my Monte Carlo isn't cracked...it's such a good car

Had a 4.0 crack between the freeze plugs on the driver's side. But I'm so confused about Monte Carlos and Jeeps right now.

I DO know the Jeep needs a new fuel filter though. 

So, time to replace the fuel filter!! That's a maintenance item. every 30,000 miles along with the tune-up.

Grab a foot of 5/16" high pressure fuel hose and a foot of 3/8" high pressure fuel hose (also known as fuel injection hose) and 4 clamps from the parts store beforehand. 

That way you will have some spare clamps and spare fuel hose for the future. 

2 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

Grab a foot of 5/16" high pressure fuel hose and a foot of 3/8" high pressure fuel hose (also known as fuel injection hose) and 4 clamps from the parts store beforehand.

This bit's important. If it's not fuel injection rated hose, you'll be doing it again in a year or less. And don't just assume it's fuel injection rated. You usually have to ask specifically for it, the guys at the part store might not even know they carry it, and it's more expensive than the regular stuff.

There's also immersion rated fuel hose. That's even more expensive and is designed to go inside of a fuel tank. If regular hose is used inside of a fuel tank it will break down and cause fuel starvation. That's why you should always use the hose that comes with a new fuel pump.

Gotcha. Yeah I'll look into the lines as well. The odd part is is that I did go back yesterday and crank both my car and truck up. My truck didn't start dripping gas or smelling like it and my car started acting fine. Oil didn't look milky or anything. So since it's above freezing now what I'll do is add some of that green 50/50 antifreeze stuff I have and crank it and let it run. Nothing was grinding or scraping either. Nothing wet either, nothing like my jeep where I've seen the whole engine wet. But absolutely I'll look into various lines for my jeep and I'll certainly keep an eye on the fuel filter because it didn't leak when it was idling like it did earlier that morning

My way of saying I'll have it looked at and done. I will say I did crank the jeep up today and let it idle in place for about 20-30 minutes and it never started leaking gas at the filter. It was good and warm too. No gas smell either. So there's an update on that. I plan to drive it tomorrow and get gas and see what it really does

• 1 year later...
On 12/25/2022 at 7:58 AM, cruiser54 said:

Sorry to dust off an old thread, but someone else might have this question as well.

I've got a small fuel leak in the hose on the gas tank side of the fuel filter.  I'm planning on replacing both sets of hoses, clamps, and the filter.

@cruiser54 When you mention 5/16" and 3/8" high pressure fuel hose, I'm assuming that one end of the filter is one size, the other end is the other.  Is this correct?

Just want to make sure I purchase the correct stuff.

11 hours ago, kriswinner said:

Sorry to dust off an old thread, but someone else might have this question as well.

I've got a small fuel leak in the hose on the gas tank side of the fuel filter.  I'm planning on replacing both sets of hoses, clamps, and the filter.

@cruiser54 When you mention 5/16" and 3/8" high pressure fuel hose, I'm assuming that one end of the filter is one size, the other end is the other.  Is this correct?

Just want to make sure I purchase the correct stuff.

Your inlet side should be 3/8" and outlet side 5/16".   Sometimes a couple of inches of hose are included with a new filter but I'm never sure if it's fuel injection rated or not so I usually toss it.   I agree with @cruiser54 it's better to have a foot or so of the good stuff and cut your own. 

On 12/25/2022 at 6:58 AM, cruiser54 said:

Had a 4.0 crack between the freeze plugs on the driver's side. But I'm so confused about Monte Carlos and Jeeps right now.

I DO know the Jeep needs a new fuel filter though. 

So, time to replace the fuel filter!! That's a maintenance item. every 30,000 miles along with the tune-up.

I am about to do this preventative measure, any recommendation for a fuel filter? I may do the fuel pressure regulator as well it was seeping a bit of gas around the clip. Thanks Cruiser

Wix fuel filter. You can likely just get by with a seal kit for the fuel pressure regulator . 

Fuel disconnects

Quick disconnect part numbers

The Napa part numbers for just o-rings *is:

Napa 730-5018 3/8 Viton individual o-rings 
Napa 730-5017 5/16 Viton individual o-rings 
*Remember to re-use your old spacer between the 2 new o-rings!!

Napa CRB 212305 fuel line repair kit 5/16
Dorman 800-750 trans line repair kit 3/8

Mopar repair kits:

83502745 fuel line repair kit 5/16 
83504447 fuel line/Trans line repair kit 3/8