Rust,rust and rust..

Hi all Comanche friends,

I have an intetnal "mind wrestling" going on in my head. My comanche is realy rotten in frame starting around where feet is located when sitting in car and the rot goes all the way to rear bumper. Right sill is also gone and body is so weak now that door can't be closed fully and gap between cab and pick up box is not parallell anymore.

So shall I make an effort and support it and weld a new frame on both sides or just scrap it?

Heart tells me to warm up the MIG but mind say that I should make a call to a scrapper...

I'm located in sweden.

I have been welding a lot but I just wonder if it is possible to keep all distances/wheel aligment correct when is this bad. Beyond this is a new tank needed and truck box(sorry for my poor english but mean loading box/area)

20221204_194656.jpg

You absolutely could fix it, but by the time you account for the time you have invested in it, you would exceed its value in America, at least. If the truck runs well, I personally would try to find a solid shell and swap all of your drivetrain into it.

Well,there are only approx 200 comanche in sweden and either they are rotten like mine or too expensive. I know it is not an economic good decision since there is more to do on it but realy loved to drive it when it was running.

If you really really love it you could save it. Hate to see MJ's get scrapped but yea its definitely a lot of work/ money. Since you're in Sweden Idk how plentiful spare parts like a spare long bed are but maybe you could turn it onto a flat bed if the box is that rotted lol 

32 minutes ago, Holmkiern said:

Well,there are only approx 200 comanche in sweden and either they are rotten like mine or too expensive. I know it is not an economic good decision since there is more to do on it but realy loved to drive it when it was running.

I get it there, these trucks are great. How feasible is it to import one from the US and keep yours as a parts truck?

Flatbed is totaly an option but it will never get as pretty as original. I would need a transport for my beekeeping and might be an option.

I have looked for an import but prices in US seems to be high as well. At least for good ones.

The amount of work needed will only be apparent once you have it stripped down. As far as alignment is concerned, it’s not hard to get things back into spec. Key parts makes bedside panels, rocker panels, bed sections, floor pans and a few other small parts. Cab corners can be found on Facebook occasionally. As long as you don’t cut the actual “frame” you shouldn’t have any alignment trouble. As a precaution though, get some simple square metal tubing and tack weld it to different areas of the truck as a temporary reinforcement. 

I for sure will reinforce the structure in some way but in some way I first need to measure it in since it was moved in this shape so It need some checking.

Corner is not a problem since I got an english wheel.

Anyway,ordered metal sheet now in 2,5mm thickness and hope there will be time during christmas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well,now I have started on the right side and realize that whole structure needs to exchanged. I'm started in area were passenger got the feets and goes towards the rear. I was able to put in both inner side and outside+bottom of the structure for the cab but after cab I is only changing outer side and bottom.

Inner side will be done after box is lifted off.

Any good advice how to lift of box only being one guy?

This will be an interesting journey..

🙄

there's no easy way to pull off the box by yourself unless you have an engine hoist on wheels that can lift from the middle using straps to the 4 tiedown points. :(  I've tried and it causes damage.   but I've pulled many beds with just 2 people. :L: 

Hi,

Now I'm close to shackle attachment and the challange now is to get it in right position. Spring is loose now but pressure from rear axle push it upwards and no place to lift car to reduce pressure.

Anyway,just to keep welding.

😊

20230102_175124.jpg

20230102_175244.jpg

• 1 month later...