MJ Happy Camper

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finished the drawer a week ago but just now had time to open up the WilderNest for pictures. The carcass is approximately 81” long, 25” wide and 16” high, the drawer is 75” long, 15 1/2” wide and 13” high; I made it large enough to hold three of our camping storage boxes with space to spare. The drawer slides on 3/16” thick UHMWPE strips to maximize space. The top, left side, drawer front and rear are 1 1/8” plywood the rest is 3/4” ply assembled with pocket screws (about 200 of them!!) and glue. Everything was given three coats of exterior paint (color matched to the paint I used for the shell interior) to minimize mold/mildew, the top and left side were then covered with tan vinyl diamond plate and edged with stainless steel corner guard since it also serves as the step to the sleeping platform. It’s bolted to the bed using stainless bolts from underneath into t-nuts in the base. The space on the right with the wheel well is perfect for storing the long support poles and stabilizing legs while the space on the left still accommodates the large boxes which were initially intended for the FJ Cruiser’s roof rack, they will even stack with the Nest closed. It was a fun little project.

IMG_2498.jpeg

IMG_2500.jpeg

IMG_2501.jpeg

IMG_2497.jpeg

IMG_2503.jpeg

Filling the water tank was a pain in the a$$, since it has no vent the fill tube would fill with water and air couldn’t escape. My simple fix was to place a fill hose within the outer hose allowing air to escape through the space between the two, it also allowed attaching a garden hose for filling.

IMG_2567.jpeg

IMG_2569.jpeg

IMG_2568.jpeg

I also added an air filter on the small vent tube of the fuel filler neck to allow air in as the faucet is used since the cap will be in place.

IMG_2570.jpeg

First night’s dinner was hot dogs on the gas grill, not very fancy :blush:.

IMG_9932.jpeg

and the morning’s breakfast on our 30 year old Coleman white gas stove converted to propane.

IMG_9938.jpeg

IMG_0032.jpeg

the dogs were dead tired by the last day.

IMG_0039.jpeg

IMG_0040.jpeg

and a final night shot.

IMG_2606.jpeg

Thanks, it’s been fun. That was Anthony Chabot Campgrounds in the Oakland hills, technically Castro Valley, only 48 miles away. Wanted something near civilization for the first outing. :laugh: This Thursday we’re headed to Wench Creek in Kyburz.

Outing #2 at Wench Creek campground in the Eldorado National Forest. Had a bear come through the first night and attack a cooler of someone in our group that was right behind the WilderNest. We got out to look and saw a good size brown bear, it glanced back at us and strolled off. Some don’t take bear safety seriously even when bear boxes are provided.:mad:

IMG_0258.jpeg
Yes, I need new struts for the lift gate.:laugh:

IMG_0251.jpeg

Epic fail! Trying to fix the lift gate hinge, I guess one too many taps to dislodge a rivet remnant. I’ll be heading to Tap Plastics on Monday for a piece of smoked polycarbonate. On the bright side, it made fixing the hinge a lot easier. @Pete M, you got any large CC window decals? PM me, thanks.

IMG_0319.jpeg