MJ Happy Camper

Work continues. Gave the tent an overnight Oxi-Clean bath which removed all the mold/mildew stains, I was amazed, pictures will come once it’s back together. Cleaned and repaired all the structural supports including the springs which turned out really nice.

Before:

2B3EE320-5A7E-4286-BFFE-79AA61152D87.jpeg
After rust removal:

16EB8C9A-C269-4D63-8D92-2DC08D41CB70.jpeg
After bluing:

C557A507-E849-4B40-85CA-B599F5B5E1B6.jpeg

8D9B0CEB-DF59-486F-A2AE-EEFA33B103C1.jpeg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Painted the interior yesterday. Used Duplicolor Sandstorm bed liner for the sleeping platform, the stuff is horrible to spray, the cans stop spraying, start dribbling and leave a third of the product behind. I don’t recommend using it at all. The bottom portion was going to be the same bed liner but decided on paint. Also, all my stainless hardware arrived so assembly will begin after a few days of paint curing.

B6F26633-9513-482B-81FE-F3AE4F1CB34B.jpeg

632D4A35-6FDD-41B9-AB8A-495AD5F28108.jpeg

The tent supports are basically 1” ID zinc plated steel pipes connected with copper elbows. The ends that pivot to raise them were collapsed by over tightened hardware so I expanded them back out using some sockets. I then inserted 1” solid plastic rods for support which also made inserting the quick release pins easier not having to “hunt” for the hole on the other side.

E186C75B-3331-4716-AEC1-47A7E61CA311.jpeg

I considered buying this myself but wife approval would have been highly dubious to non existent.  But you are definitely way more deserving than I given what you have done with it.  We'll be looking for some photos of it in action out in the wild.  Congratulations.

On 2/18/2023 at 5:43 AM, DesertRat1991 said:

Did you do any waterproofing on that old canvas?

The tent (8-ounce nylon pack-cloth) has a waterproof polyurethane coating on the inside that appears intact except for a couple places on the vertical ends. I want to get it back on the trailer before next week’s rains and will test it for water leakage, then go from there.

This is so cool.  I've been tempted to cut my parts MJ in half to do just this!  I've been trying to save it but I've seriously been on the fence sense I saw it had decent collision damage up front!  I'm just a beginner welder, like 3 weekends of Saturday classes with a stick welder and a few times after actually fixing some brackets.  I don't have the confidence to go this big yet!  But I want to!!!

This goes above and beyond what I was thinking with just a camper top to store the food, camping gear, and keep things dry!  Amazing!

Got the WilderNest mounted to the trailer yesterday. Since it’s ~3” shorter than the bed there’s a stainless steel L-shaped filler piece at the front but it flexes and I don’t think it will make a good seal so I added a piece of 2” angle iron on the inside to sandwich the filler to the shell. Drilled a few holes through the angle iron as cargo tie down points.

567333AF-2156-4D1B-9021-8842F987E70E.jpeg

2D0F67B9-8D2D-47F0-9911-965E11B6C3A2.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Added a couple Rough Country MOLLE panels, they’re meant for the left and right rears of a Tacoma but they fit end to end in our long beds, they need trimming if they’re set behind the bed rails (they will also fit our short beds as intended for the Tacomas). For the bottom standoffs I installed nutserts into the bed and used 1” plastic rod cut into 2” lengths that were drilled and countersunk for the nutserts.

32E772FD-5A3B-4F02-BAB4-603124FF3152.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...