• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

that is a... unique lid.  :D  I love it!

Yeah it is unique to the 403 T/A air cleaner assembly. I had already derusted it and figured that I’ve already got a pile going to be coated, I’d just throw it in and see what it comes out to be. 

IMG_0767.jpg.3ba1822cd6915cd03f9478d3c25ae64d.jpg

So the heads and valve covers are painted. Trying to get them to come out how I want them to come out and I think wind was a little bit of my factor today but they are smooth which is what I want mostly.

Working on getting the radiator core out, that is tons of fun and looks like I have to get the fascia off just to more the core out so it should be easy out once the fascia is off. Then the water pump will be next following a new core. Also the radiator needs some service. Gonna get some vinegar and let it sit in the radiator until no more rust colored water comes out. It looks like it is the original radiator as it is made out of brass. Lots of progress to look forward to.

• 4 weeks later...

Back at it again! So in my adventure of removing the core support, I got the front fascia and bumper off. Sweet no issues there. Go to remove the core support and the fenders are holding me back. Ok, loosen a few bolts and the fenders should wiggle a little to give me some room to pull the core up and out. No. remove the whole damn fender on both sides to remove the core support. Yay! Well now that that is done I guess I am going to be doing more things since those are off the car.

The power antenna will be serviced or replaced, most likely replaced due to not seeing the antenna in the assembly. And the blower motor. Feels kinda seized but thats due to probably not running in 30 years so I am going to service that. Lastly I removed the hood hinges since those were bolted to the fender so I guess I am gonna get those powder coated at some point now haha.

Oh and the core support still isnt out!! One bolt that I missed in the dremel cutting from all the rust basically stopped me for the day so I will be back at it soon enough to get the core out...at least everything else is in great shape and 95% rust free. 

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, gotta get a new radiator! Thats actually more my fault. I let the radiator have a 30/70 mix of vinegar and water and I let it set for a week too long and I think it ate away(or the previous coolant did the job and the vinegar was enough to push it over as seen by the freeze plugs before the heads were rebuilt.) at what already was weak solder for the core. Tried to fix it and I got some but not all of the leaks fixed. 

But yup this car has turned into a sectional restoration.

• 2 months later...

Ouch. A couple months. Sorry y’all. I was held back by rusted hardware. I tried finding part numbers for the hardware. Nothin. Tried finding some at the hardware store, didn’t see any I liked. So I ordered some from an F-body specialty store. Got those in and went back tonight and put the wheel wells back on. I accomplished something today haha. I wish I worked on it more when it was just warm and not in the 100’s but that’s ok. I made great progress on chunk and so it was kinda one or the other deal. 

I just went back and looked at page 1 to see what this is.  I went on my honeymoon in ‘91 in an ‘81 T/A that was white with a blue bird on the hood.  Looks very similar!  The A/C was broke and we went to Panama City in August!  Good times!  I hope you get that bird back on the road!  

• 9 months later...

Wow….it’s been a long while but I also see I didn’t say anything about getting some parts powder coated like the fender wells. 

I’ve been fighting on and off with the manifolds. For some reason there really isn’t any 403 manifolds out there. Maybe I should look at a 350. Good thing I know where one is. 

that being said I finally ordered and received the core support. So I can actually start putting this car back together. But I think I need to order some other stuff like body bushings.