• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We’re getting there Pete! Carb is going to be torn down this evening and rebuilt over the next couple days. 

I smelled the gas tank last night out of curiosity and oddly enough I liked the smell. Not because it’s gas(don’t do fumes kids) but because it didn’t smell like the t-bird gas tank when I dropped that. I think my grandfather left the cap on the filler neck loose and so the gas vented out. Granted who is to say that the tank isn’t tarnished but I might take the risk to put gas in it and see if the pump still pumps gas to the carb. 

• 2 weeks later...

If it’s one thing with this quadrajet it’s another. I somehow manage to break parts without any intention. Actually I broke the accelerator pump by accident as I couldn’t figure out how to disassemble it and that’s my fault but now it’s the metering rod. They come in a pair and are a pain to seat correctly and if you jam them into the jets, you can seriously mess up the tips. And that’s what magically happened when getting ready for the assembly of the upper half of the carb. Found out when I found out I put on the wrong gasket. Man GM could not pick a carb design and stick with it. Anywhooooo I am delayed by another week, I am patient, the car has spark and I have no doubt that it will fire off once together. Stay tuned y’all!

23 minutes ago, 87MJJeep said:

Carbs are pretty cool devices, but they are greek to me.  Hats off to you for tackling the dinosaur-era magic device yourself!  

Indeed they are. Granted the history on them is neat in of itself and how they started out as gravity fed devices and ultimately led to being vacuum based. And thank ya! It’s not my first carb to rebuild but it is my first quadrajet. So far I kinda like the Ford Autolite for its simplicity but I like the quadrajet for its lack of diaphragms and better use of all metal parts. Each company has their pros and cons to the carbs. 

That being said I should hopefully see the metering rods today as they’re scheduled to be delivered. Get the new rod in and hopefully finish assembling the carb. Fingers crossed I got it assembled right. 

It is finally back together safely and carefully. 

E650F396-5048-4B11-BDBE-00B74E32362B.jpeg.7edb39f3c6b1170be27ba24f5f9d53af.jpeg

Now I have no absolute idea if it will work as it should, we shall see. My only concern now is the choke doesn’t fully close and feels loose but maybe that’s how it’s supposed to be since it covers the mains but can’t choke it off too much. 

Heck yeah!!!

So basically it runs, I had to assist it with some gas down the carb. Did this three times. First two were just to hear it run but couldnt get it to feed gas from the tank. Third time how ever, I got it to run on both the fuel pump and tank. I took a gamble and put 5 gallons of gas in the tank(fuel gauge is pegged, yeah yeah cruiser, I hear ya saying grounds haha). But not all the vac lines are hooked up due to some being disintegrated. So, I have some lines and I will be over on sunday repairing and replacing those lines to get it to idle. But holy hell does it sound healthy and beefy. This car I think is ready to rip up the road once again. But theres still more to do before it sees the road.

Pressure washed the car. I think I removed all the factory earth hahaha. A lot of the underside dirt probably has been removed. It’s hard to tell, but I have a lot to figure out what I want to tackle next. I’m waiting on new metal choke tubes and I’ll be installing flood lights where I’ll be working on the car. So far I see only one spot of body damage and that’s on the pass side rear quarter by the exhaust. 

So I’m learning things about this car. It’s got the 403 olds engine in it, sadly not the 400 Pontiac but it still ought to be a fun car regardless. But just like our MJs, it has specific parts. Sure you can find the air cleaner lid all damn day for the 70-76 400 and maybe the 77-78 but the 79 403 air cleaner lid is an odd diameter and is engine specific. Yay. I probably am gonna have to buy a 14” lid and kinda suffer knowing it’s not original. I might repair the original lid but that might be challenging to do. 

Got the new choke tubes in and got myself a new problem. Won’t idle right so I did some adjustments to the choke and got it to do a nice steady idle at 1k rpm. I know it’s supposed to be lower but I’ll work that out soon. I also found another fuel leak at the fuel inlet. I plan to address this tomorrow with a new fuel filter and Teflon on the fuel filter pipe to stop the leak.