operation "replace the durango" is a go!

Pete M

after weeks of refreshing various Firefox tabs, fighting with insurance companies to actually get our check to the bank, and talking to sales people ad nausium, I found my folks a white R/T in Ohio that's close enough to fit the bill. :D 

the good news is that it's officially theirs. :banana:  down payment has been sent.

the bad news is that it's still "in transit".  :laugh:  with no set day of arrival.

based on other trucks I've watched go from "being built" to "in transit" to "on dealer lot", I'd say later this week.  then we just gotta go fetch it. :doh:  I'm both glad and disappointed that new trucks are being made and I no longer need to contemplate a trip to Sacramento or Montana.  :driving:  would have been a heck of a road trip!

fun fact, if you live in GA and buy from OH, you get the incentives that are available in GA, not OH.  worked out well for us and saved more cash than OH would have been.  :D 

generic stock photo:

iris.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Nice! Do the R/Ts have the 5.7 or the 6.4?

5.7 with a tuned exhaust (sounds way cooler than the Citadel).   couldn't convince my folks to splurge the extra 20 grand for the SRT. :( 

36 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

Sweetness. Get the towing package. :teehee:

no choice this time.  they no longer put the towing wires into all R/Ts. :(  BUT the new tow package comes with a built-in trailer controller so there's that. :D  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

huh, I really thought I'd have an update by now with pics of the new truck, but what ya gonna do. :doh:   so the in-transit one was still, um, somewhere... when I discovered last week that the interior was the bright red leather.  oops.  seems they list that option in a place that's not under "options". :fistshake2: so we backed out of that and pursued one in Illinois.  the guy wanted more than msrp.  screw that.  so I called up a nearby dealership that wasn't asking way-too-much for cars and tried to get a dealership swap going, but that fell through too.  after all that I discovered that Dodge was finally making 2022 models, so we decided to screw all the 2021s and that brings us to the present, where on sunday or monday I'm going to stop by the local dealership and inquire about lead times for just outright ordering one.  at least that way my folks can get what they want and not have to pay for other things.  we'll see.  I'm still learning what the diff is between the R/T and the new "R/T plus" package in relation to our needs. 

• 2 weeks later...

I learned that it's a 2-4 month wait if ordering.  :fistshake2:  so we've gone back to patiently waiting for acceptable candidates to pop up already built.  I'm actually going to be making some phonecalls later today and will update after.  :L: 

except for that $2500 non-refundable deposit  :(  but we only went to one dealership so others may have different rules.  :dunno:

but either way I've found that there are tons of '22 R/Ts out there now with the features we want, so it should be just a matter of snagging one.  :L:  

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

except for that $2500 non-refundable deposit  :(  but we only went to one dealership so others may have different rules.  :dunno:

but either way I've found that there are tons of '22 R/Ts out there now with the features we want, so it should be just a matter of snagging one.  :L:  

Ouch! Yeah, that must be a dealership thing--I've been able to order others with a deposit, but it was fully refundable.

down payment has been sent to a dealership in western KY.  :banana:  the Durango is as close as I could find to the previous R/T but with the added awesomeness of the fancy radar cruise control. :D   now we just wait for it to be done with the "in transit" thing.  :laugh:  no idea how long that'll take. 

I can't wait for my folks to experience the awesomeness that is radar assisted cruise.  :brows:

Seriously? I HATE radar cruise. You're going up a hill at the speed limit and approaching a slow truck, traffic's going past on the left but there's a gap that will open up right before you get to the truck and so you prepare to signal and move over, hit the gas to match the flow of traffic, but the car slows down on its own and you've missed your gap, now you're stuck crawling up the hill behind a truck at 20mph because you can't merge into 70mph traffic without dropping way back and then by the time you get back up to close to merging speed the passing lane is gone. Or you're driving down an otherwise empty highway at the speed limit, someone comes up behind you and latches on like a limpet, way closer than is necessary. You go faster and they stay stuck, you slow down and they don't go around until you either pull off or basically come to a stop in the middle of the road. Just unnecessary BS that needs to go away.

unfortunately you can't go back in time, but you can turn yours off if you'd like. :L: 

besides, georgia drivers certainly don't need a fancy radar thingie to attach to your rear bumper.  drafting is like the state pastime or something.  :laugh: 

The rental car I had over Christmas turned it back on every time you started the car, and wouldn’t allow access to the menu to turn it off unless you were stopped and in park.

It’s pretty typical for drivers to get waaaay closer than necessary here in Alberta too, but at least they go around at the first opportunity, and don’t even sit behind you at all if they caught up somewhere it’s clear to pass.

@Pete M Do you have any dealer pics to share?!?!

:worthless:

36 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

The rental car I had over Christmas turned it back on every time you started the car, and wouldn’t allow access to the menu to turn it off unless you were stopped and in park.

It’s pretty typical for drivers to get waaaay closer than necessary here in Alberta too, but at least they go around at the first opportunity, and don’t even sit behind you at all if they caught up somewhere it’s clear to pass.

My wife's Subaru Outback was awful. It took several button presses to turn off radar cruise. Her new Toyota is nice, you just have to hold the 'cruise on' button for 1 second to turn on regular cruise. I hate radar cruise, ugh. 

3 minutes ago, 87Warrior said:

@Pete M 

My wife's Subaru Outback was awful. It took several button presses to turn off radar cruise. Her new Toyota is nice, you just have to hold the 'cruise on' button for 1 second to turn on regular cruise. I hate radar cruise, ugh. 

This one was a Mazda. I tried messing with the cruise buttons a bunch but eventually had to go through the owner's manual to figure it out, and that menu that was locked out unless you were in park was the only way I could find. It was all kitted out with the automatic everything, warnings going off all the time about traffic around you, so you're almost guaranteed to never notice a warning about a mechanical issue. I had it slam on the brakes unnecessarily once when someone ahead of me turned right and was going to be out of my way by the time I got there so I only took my foot off the gas, although in fairness it did release the brakes immediately once the car was out of the way.

Hopefully Pete's folks appreciate the bells and whistles more than mine did. My dad wouldn't even drive the thing.

you can turn all that off in a durango. :L:     

and yes, most everything in the menus requires you to be in park in all modern cars.  that just always going to be the case due to safety concerns.  (which is a little irritating since the car knows whether or not I have a passenger to do all that for me :fistshake2:)