Issues with lift

front shocks should be easy since it's a straight-up lift. :L:  rears are a bit trickier since the lower mounts can be placed in different locations.  but you can estimate once the mounts are burned in. 

honestly you might be better off finding a used set of tires.  Moab doesn't need new tires or mud tires or any sort of tire in particular.  it's like climbing sandpaper. :D  friction is plentiful and thus it is kinda hard on tires.  I would try and save a few bucks now, dial in the truck as you go, and if you slice up a tire on your fenders, you won't care too much.  then get new tires before winter. 

how's the reliability aspect coming along?  what all have you replaced so far in the cooling system? 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok that is smart I should look for the tires I want. (anywhere good to look for used tires?) 

reliability is good. I think I fixed my parasitic draw issue. hopefully manual swap helps as well. Flushed the cooling system and new thermostat but other than that stock. It is running way better and I feel good

you should be able to snag a set of JK/JL/JT rims with tires for pretty dang cheap off of craigslist or FB marketplace.  this will necessitate a set of bolt pattern adapters but people are practically giving the dang things away! 

If those are the Rubicon Express 5.5" lift springs, they will settle a little over time. Mine have come down at least an inch over a three year period, and that's with a 2.5L engine. If you have a 4.0 and will be off roading, they will settle faster. This might give you the look you want with the rake, or you may have to adjust again later if you set it the way you want it right now.

1 minute ago, 89 MJ said:

He has FSJ D44s under his. JK/JL/JT wheels won’t fit. But any GM truck pre 87 will!

indeed, but I'm guessing adapters exist.  :L:  the point was that you can pick up tires already mounted/balanced on JK/JL/JT rims for dirt cheap.  :D 

35 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

FSJ 44’s are normally 6 lug. Is that what yours are? If so you would need some really expensive 2 piece lug adapters that would probably not be worth the cost. 

Yes they are six lugs thats the issue. I think it is going to be a trick to find used 35s r16s.

while it's true they aren't as cheap as the 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapters, it's not an insane price for them.  :L: 

this is for 2:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202489273244?hash=item2f254d1b9c:g:NQMAAOSwq9Rb24b8

but it all depends on what you can find local to you.  the JK/JL/JT stuff should be all over the place.  but gotta find the right size for the right price.  :D 

16” tires are much more common in metric sizes. Look for the metric equivalent to what you need like 305/70/16 or similar. 
There is one factor I’ll bring up as well, IMO 2 piece adapters are pushing it when it comes to safety. You now have 3 sets of fasteners. Also, a decent 2 piece adapter will be 2” thick. Any thinner and your really looking at thin mating surfaces. I’d recommend just getting some tires for whatever rims you happen to have or can get that fit those axles. Check your local tire shop for used tire availability. Junk yards too

15 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

I don't like spacers either not even the one piece. they come with one set of studs from the factory for a reasons.

I’m with you there. To me, it seems like it would be more stress than needed on studs and other suspension components (i.e. ball joints, etc. in the front). 

My other concern with late model wrangler wheels is the center bore size. I’m not sure if it would clear the front hubs on your front axle, if you have lock out hubs. 

that second part is a good idea to look into.  but a spacer doesn't put any more stress on anything than a similarly backspaced aftermarket rim.  tires sticking out increase the stress. :L:  JK/JL/JT rims have a ton of backspacing so the spacer makes the whole combo more or less match a pair of typical aftermarket rims. 

but it's just an option.  the used market is constantly in flux so I wanted to make sure you had alternatives.  the choice is still yours. :L: 

be sure to know how to read tire dates.  you don't want old tires if you're hitting 55mph+.