Issues with lift

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

So whats the verdict when you measure the right way?

Definitely make the lift up in the springs not the shackles. You'll thank yourself.

Idk yet havent gotten up to my dads to measure yet. Likely afterschool tomorrow

• Jesse J changed the title to Issues with lift

it looks like your axle needs to be pushed forward a bit more.  or at least the axle rotate a bit.  the coil isn't straight.  and since you're starting from scratch here, I would pull the coils out and make sure that the bump stop will contact the lower coil bucket properly by cycling the axle up (which is hard to do with the coil in the way).

I sort of had the same issue but opposite. The spring would catch on the bump stop flange. But IIRC once I put the wheels on and got under a load it all sorted itself out. Then I tightened everything. There's a chart around here that has proper control arm lengths per height of lift too that helped. Not sure if you can tell in the pic, but I didn't even have my UCAs on yet and this bend got worse once they were.

IMG_0965.JPEG.cbf39c40cc1d1d188dec482b69121ec0.JPEG

19 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

Ok makes sense I will work on that when I get the chance. Trac bar still is too short or at least doesn’t want to line up

make sure the axle is centered under the truck side to side. 

5 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

To attain factory rake (which is about +/- 2”) the front measurement needs to be approx 3/4” higher than the rear using the above technique from the FSM.

That statement confuses me. How does a 3/4" difference translate to a 2" difference in rake?

When I set up my control arms I started with the location of the tire in the wheel well. After that i set my pinion angle. Then I made adjustments to the trackbar to center the axle under the body.

I solved this dilema by setting up the rear axle and then using a set of ACOS in the front to get the rake I wanted.  I was using a set of TJ lift coils and didn't know where the front was going to end up sitting.....they worked like a charm.

2 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

That statement confuses me. How does a 3/4" difference translate to a 2" difference in rake?

When I set up my control arms I started with the location of the tire in the wheel well. After that i set my pinion angle. Then I made adjustments to the trackbar to center the axle under the body.

It’s all about the factory measuring points for ride height. The rear measurement will be approx 6” and the front 6.75”. That is a factory ride height from the FSM. This doesn’t mean that the front site .75” higher. After all, think about all the bends in the frame. If we were dealing with a frame that was absolutely flat on the bottom and perfectly parallel to the road that would be a whole different story. 

As many have stated though, you can simply adjust ride height to dial in what you need with minor adjustments like using an acos coil mount, a coil spacer and/or longer shackles. But if you were to take a stock truck that sits at stock original ride height and lifted it an equal amount both front and rear, you would preserve the factory rake. Leveling “kits” typically raise only the front of a vehicle to “level” the rig. But a kit that lifts equal amounts both front and rear over stock will preserve the factory rake. 

Keep in mind that lift height numbers given by manufacturers for springs are typically based on oem ride heights. Some rigs ride higher or lower than stock so you actual lift height varies from one vehicle to the next.