Issues with lift

Just cleaned up my rear 44 cut the old perches off getting ready to weld on my Barnes perch kit. And so I have an issue. I’m lifting 5.5 in the front and soa rear but I’m hoping to remain at about 2-2.5 inches or rake so looking for 7.5-8 in the rear. So I think I will get about 6 in the back. Witch makes me think I need to through a 3 inch shackle in the back. Should I tack the perches on and bolt it in and then get the front dialed in see if it works then get a shackle that’s the right size? 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were me, I would get the front put together, then assemble the rear with the spring perches just held in place by the u-bolts.  Finalize any ride height mods, like the shackles.  Then, finally adjust the pinion angle and tack weld the perches in place.  Then disassemble and do final welding.

Ok so I got the front axle in and it centered on the first go. The steering angle is good enough for me to Get it to school and align it. One problem though is the trac bar is off by about an inch and I’m way past a diameter of bolt penetration.

5 hours ago, Jesse J said:

Just cleaned up my rear 44 cut the old perches off getting ready to weld on my Barnes perch kit. And so I have an issue. I’m lifting 5.5 in the front and soa rear but I’m hoping to remain at about 2-2.5 inches or rake so looking for 7.5-8 in the rear. So I think I will get about 6 in the back. Witch makes me think I need to through a 3 inch shackle in the back. Should I tack the perches on and bolt it in and then get the front dialed in see if it works then get a shackle that’s the right size? 

The factory rake is about 2.” Meaning if you lift the front 5.5 and the rear 5.5 you will have factory rake (it won’t be “leveled”). If you lift the rear 7.5 and the front 5.5 you will lift the rear a couple of inches over factory rake. 

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

stock trackbar or aftermarket?

aftermarket

1 hour ago, ghetdjc320 said:

The factory rake is about 2.” Meaning if you lift the front 5.5 and the rear 5.5 you will have factory rake (it won’t be “leveled”). If you lift the rear 7.5 and the front 5.5 you will lift the rear a couple of inches over factory rake. 

I measured my rake before all of this and I had 2.5" because metric ton :cool: and I am hoping to try and preserve that

1 hour ago, Jesse J said:

aftermarket

I measured my rake before all of this and I had 2.5" because metric ton :cool: and I am hoping to try and preserve that

Then raise it an equal amount front and back and you’ll preserve the rake. The rake is built into the truck from the factory based on spring mounting points along with the springs themselves. Any lift that lifts the front and back equally will preserve the factory rake. If you raise the front more it will “level” it. If you raise the rear more you will exceed the factory rake :L:

1 hour ago, Jesse J said:

that logic makes sense but I don't think I lifted the same amount

To maintain factory rake lift it the same amount. Soa lift 5.5” or so over stock. Front needs to be lifted 5.5 over stock as well and you will have factory rake. If you need to fine tune another 1/2” or so you can do shackles. 

I would suggest not running a longer shackle setup. I am looking to replace my longer shackle setup cause of a few issues. AXLE WRAP, INVERTED SHACKLE, and cause it doesnt help load capacity. :crazy: 

My plan To fix issues is reinstall stock shackles and build up a leaf pack using two stock leaf packs, creating heavy duty carrying capacity in hopes to maintain stock handling being the leafs will be rated the same, unlike a stiff add a leaf. Then i will not need to install a traction bar so much. Thats the idea anyways. :shaking:

4 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

Me or mini beast?

You. You can run longer shackles and will allow for more leaf spring droop. Ideally you don't want the shackle straight up and down but rather top mounted more forward then the rear leaf bushing connection to the longer shackle. This will help prevent inverted shackles and will aide in a better position, shackle angle for better approach over obstacles, hence a better road trip 😉

• Jesse J changed the title to Issues with lift