'88 Sport Truck

Just reacquired the first truck I ever purchased. 4.0 auto Asin tranny 165k but starts every time(with a jump). Previous owner parked it because transmission wouldn't work in DRIVE. He took it to two different shops, had the transmission completely serviced, and now one ever gave a second thought to the TCM, so he parked it the last 5 years. I threw caution wind and ordered a TCM for $25 off ebay, plugged it in, and transmission works like a champ! Freshly serviced transmission, engine not using any oil and running strong, so it's time to put it back into service! 

So far I've: 

Replaced the TCM - Transmission shifts perfectly now

Replaced battery cables -(The + and the - cables ran into the same sleeve, shorted each other out and melted. After replacing, battery is now charging! 

Bled/checked brake lines, etc.

Replaced vacuum lines (took a few turns to start before but now starts on first turn of the key)

Started degreasing engine. Slow process and son is beginning to hate me. :)

Ripped out old dash, after market stereo, etc. (found immaculate cherokee dash and working factory radio at junk yard along with ashtray and a few other interior pieces.

Ripped up vinyl floor removed badly damaged bench seat and headliner. Repaired driver's floor pan, sanded passenger, sanded, primed, every inside metal surface, now about to add a top coat to whole interior for good measure. About to install Fatmat everywhere. Going back with 807 gray oem color carpet.

Seat is being repadded/recovered - due July 31. Carpet ordered, due July 16. Deciding on headliner. May do myself.

More to come.

jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 3:34 PM, Pete M said:

well, did the seat arrive?  :brows: 

Why yes it did. Actually a couple of days early. Got my carpet and headliner too! Right now I’m  running down my wiring issues(who knew that taillight bulb holders, turn signal bulb holders, etc. corroded and caused the craziest problems?? (Oh yeah, I guess y’all did, lol) After that I’ll button down the rest of the dash, install some dynamat, install the carpet, headliner and freshly cleaned up plastics. Still waiting on back ordered door window/weather strip kits to get the door panels back on  😡. Tonight, I’m cleaning up the door handle surrounds and repainting them with a chrome paint. Found a neat chrome paint pen at hobby lobby to touch up the outline of the ac vents and bezel. Daughter is gonna cricut me a vinyl chrome /black Jeep logo to go inside the black square of the door handle surrounds.  I’m a couple weeks out on all of this, but after that, it’s off to paint and body. 

E60575A1-0943-4EB4-8994-331CC1F1B40D.jpeg

0DAA56BF-DB0B-4FC6-BB27-0C2B2F481229.jpeg

E97A9224-5309-409F-8622-EB2A6A67C0F3.jpeg

B7699253-08F7-4280-8BFF-FD077BE8A6A3.jpeg

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Jlindsey86 said:

Looks great! What material did you use for the headliner and visors?

14 hours ago, Jlindsey86 said:

Looks great! What material did you use for the headliner and visors?

ordered “factory” replica headliner from SMS and they sent additional matching material so I could get the visors covered. Headliner not cheap, but VERY well done. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...