Pete M

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, 1987Comanche said:

Meg the 87 came from Cross-Country AMC in Indy

Marua the 90 came from EGolf in Hendersonville, NC

Galeana looks like it's still alive and thriving today.

Galeana.jpg

neat!  can you snap a closeup? 

Pete - A little off topic but tied to your first post - Don Drennen in Hoover was the last of the Drennen dealerships who were among the oldest businesses in the Birmingham, originally selling horse-drawn carriages and wagons.  There is now a brewery in what was the stables for a livery service that was adjacent to the Drennen properties.  I believe it may have been Drennen’s livery service but can’t say for sure.

When I was a good bit younger, Drennen had a Cadillac dealership and a Buick dealership across the street from each other in downtown Birmingham.  My father was a Buick man and bought several Buick’s from Drennen.

Don Drennen was an offshoot of the downtown dealerships, set up in what was at that time the fast-growing Hoover area.

I don’t remember when they picked up the Jeep dealership but we almost leased a Grand Cherokee there about 25-30 years ago.

They lost the Jeep line in 2009 when automakers consolidated their efforts into larger dealerships (the start of the mega-dealers) and then were bought by Hendricks in 2011.

51 minutes ago, Keyav8r said:

Pete - A little off topic but tied to your first post - Don Drennen in Hoover was the last of the Drennen dealerships who were among the oldest businesses in the Birmingham, originally selling horse-drawn carriages and wagons.  There is now a brewery in what was the stables for a livery service that was adjacent to the Drennen properties.  I believe it may have been Drennen’s livery service but can’t say for sure.

When I was a good bit younger, Drennen had a Cadillac dealership and a Buick dealership across the street from each other in downtown Birmingham.  My father was a Buick man and bought several Buick’s from Drennen.

Don Drennen was an offshoot of the downtown dealerships, set up in what was at that time the fast-growing Hoover area.

I don’t remember when they picked up the Jeep dealership but we almost leased a Grand Cherokee there about 25-30 years ago.

They lost the Jeep line in 2009 when automakers consolidated their efforts into larger dealerships (the start of the mega-dealers) and then were bought by Hendricks in 2011.

neat!   also, nice to see ya bud!  :waving:

5 minutes ago, DrSparky said:

My '89, that I inherited from my grandfather, came from Galloway Motors.  The unfortunate thing is still 'social distancing' from it's transmission.  Someday I'll put it back in and enjoy driving it again.

don't wait for time to magically give you an opportunity, make it happen:D  gotta make time for the joys in life.  (the driving part being the joy, not necessarily the trans install. lol)

On 6/4/2021 at 9:08 AM, mjben said:

CAM005481.jpg.3daa510126321281f535bdd60a8b7a60.jpg

Best I can do. It was already cropped from a much larger image of a truck I no longer have...

That's interesting. In the 1980s we had a "Pollard friendly Ford" dealership in Lubbock, TX

On 6/3/2021 at 12:23 AM, Pete M said:

got inspired when I brought home a tailgate from this trip and the poor sticker was faded away.  so in the coming days I'm going to hunt down all I can find, either in the barn or in my photo archives.  what's on your truck? :D

this particular one is from my newer 88

20190407_155352.jpg

25A95E82-8E9E-4965-82AC-9EAEC16E71D5.jpeg

FAB8351C-444C-40EB-894B-766A17389CBB.jpeg