Custom gear shift knob!

When I got my MJ, the shifter in it was the wrong gear pattern and poorly silicone in, eventually fell off. So my good friend who owns a cabinet making shop agreed to make me one.

Well he ended up enjoying it so much that he got carried away and made this work of art, and now would love to make more of them for CC members. 

So it took him about 2-3 days in between work and glue setting and finish.  So materials and time cost is 150  per knob but if your looking for something unique, you won't regret it!  

shifter1.jpeg

Shifter2.jpeg

shifter3.jpeg

Just now, Jesse J said:

that is a beautiful knob though. what type of finish does it have?

Right now it is currently without any finish, he wanted to ensure that it fit and works before finalizing. So ill have to give it to him so he can put a clear coat on it. Its made from White Oak, Maple, and Walnut with copper liners for structure. 

2 minutes ago, JStone said:

Right now it is currently without any finish, he wanted to ensure that it fit and works before finalizing. So ill have to give it to him so he can put a clear coat on it. Its made from White Oak, Maple, and Walnut with copper liners for structure. 

it is very cool. 

1 hour ago, BeatCJ said:

That is something special, but $150? I see the work that requires that kind of cost, but a little more than I would want to pay for a shift knob.

make an offer or stfu. personally think he is under the best price for this piece. give considerate crictasim and support for your issues or say nothing at all.

nice work indeed. i found a old hurst handle to make into mine. great idea. :beerbang:   

1 hour ago, MiNi Beast said:

make an offer or stfu. personally think he is under the best price for this piece. give considerate crictasim and support for your issues or say nothing at all.

nice work indeed. i found a old hurst handle to make into mine. great idea. :beerbang:   

What is a hurst handle? I’ve heard of them but never seen! 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, FrankTheDog said:

What are the dimensions of it?

Looks big.

I was not surprised by the original price knowing what kind of work and patience goes into that sort of thing.

These are custom. It can be up to this size which is about 3.5 inches long and necks up to about a 2.25-2.5 diameter. This is as big at you would want to go I feel. But it fits perfect in the palm! 

That’s a pretty shift knob, I’ve looked at a lot of shift knobs online because it’s fascinating all the things people can make and incorporate into a shift knob. Compared to many I’ve seen online that price is very reasonable and the craftsmanship warrants the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk