Who else hates Microsoft Windows?

Dzimm

To be fair I have a love/hate relationship with Windows.  It's fantastic when it works but it's really stupid when it doesnt.

Windows decided to be stupid on me today and now I get to do a complete fresh install because it completely fully broke itself.

I built this PC back in 2014 using a Windows 10 Pro license I got through Iowa State University.  I finally decided to upgrade my mobo, cpu, and ram to get onto some new/better hardware because I was still on a Piledriver FX-8320 CPU, plus I am sick of dealing with ethernet issues due to the NIC slowly failing from a lightning strike a couple years ago.  

First Windows wouldn't accept my license on the new hardware so I called microsoft.  Basically told me with the activation errors I was getting I'd have to either provide proof of purchase or buy a new product key at $350 because its Pro and MAYBE they could offer me a discount.  I said absolutely not to that price and gave the ISU tech department a call and they didn't have my university email inbox anymore so I no longer have proof of purchase.

Next I hooked up some spare parts to make my old hardware whole enough again and performed a system restore to a few days ago to get to a point where windows was activated.  That worked so I linked it to microsoft account and now my activation is linked to my account so I can transfer it anywhere, great I'm off to the races now!

Put my SSD back in with the new hardware and booted it up and it did the few BIOS restarts while it figured out how to boot with the new hardware and then BSOD, auto repair fails, can't boot into safe mode, can't do any form of reset from that SSD, can't do anything but access the BIOS which does nothing for me in regards to windows.  Same results on the old hardware telling me Windows done ducked itself..  currently waiting for my new install media to finish downloading so I can make an install tool..  

I know a lot of you guys have had fantastic experiences with Windows yourselves, figured I'd share the latest stupid Windows moment.

My wife has something similar but it's her MAC that caused the issue. Basically she just upgraded to the newest version for OS for MAC and it completely crapped everything out. Deleted everything and lost her Microsoft office suite. So now it's either pay for it to use it on her computer or use the free version on line with less features. As crappy as Microsoft is still prefer anything over apple products. 

I use Microsoft at work because it's the least bad choice available to me.

I prefer not to use Apple.  I like to have choices in the way I do things and with Apple, it's either you do it the Apple way or you're wrong.

At home I run Linux, which can be a challenge from time to time but it gives me the freedom to do things many different ways and it's not Microsoft.

Yeah I personally won't by choice use any of Apple's OSs.  It definitely has it's place but it's not for me since I like to actually use MY computer.

I like Linux but it's lack of compatability for some programs makes it kind of annoying.  

Windows unfortunately is the only good all around option.  

Oh yeah this sounds about right. 

Microshaft cleverly designed Windows 10 to where if you change more than 15% of your hardware, it throws a fit about the license and what not because of the 10 main pieces of hardware are registered to that copy of Windows. I remember reading somewhere that to avoid issues was to upgrade one part at a time and boot so the OS can configure and assign the registration code to the hardware. can't say where I remember reading such but I do very much remembered this and made it a note when and if I need to upgrade my PC again. 

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

Oh yeah this sounds about right. 

Microshaft cleverly designed Windows 10 to where if you change more than 15% of your hardware, it throws a fit about the license and what not because of the 10 main pieces of hardware are registered to that copy of Windows. I remember reading somewhere that to avoid issues was to upgrade one part at a time and boot so the OS can configure and assign the registration code to the hardware. can't say where I remember reading such but I do very much remembered this and made it a note when and if I need to upgrade my PC again. 

Yeah I was reading into it as well and it seemed that motherboard or CPU can outright throw the issue by itself sometimes.  Apparently Microsoft has never officially said what constitutes a "hardware change" so it's pretty much up in the air.   Problem is if you need to change architecture like I did it's a minimum of CPU/mobo and I had to go RAM as well since the previous architecture was so old.  

Either way I am back up and running with most everything reinstalled on a fresh Windows install.  Best thing I ever did was use an SSD for Windows and put all my programs and files on a separate HDD so in the event of Windows inevitable suicide I only have a few programs that need reinstalled or .dll added as opposed to full reinstall of everything.

5 minutes ago, BeatCJ said:

I shouldn't comment, I learned to use a PC with MSDOS, MSWord, Lotus123, single sided 5.25" floppy discs. All Windows does is eat up RAM.

:laugh: I am young enough that I just missed DOS in school.  Would have been nice to learn it back then, would have been good knowledge to have over the years.

Windows has always been a resource hog of sorts.  Windows 10 was supposed to be a lightweight OS but that obviously changed over the last few years.  It's a good thing these days CPUs and RAM can be had with enough power to not matter as much as it used to.  I'm honestly surprised that some Windows 7 and 8 machines are still able to run Windows 10 with all the crap it's got now.

I have a Vista machine rigged up running 10 flawlessly. Course I love XP and I grew up using a little bit of 98 and ME. Actually I have a couple XP machines. First XP machine is from the early days and it’s maxed out as much as it can and the other is just a machine for games windows refuses to offer support for to run on 10. 

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

who doesn't hate microsoft?  :dunno:

I love my Windows XP still running on a Gateway 500GR with Intel Pentium 4 Processor 530 supporting Hyper-Threading Technology. 26 years later my monitor now is starting to get a little flaky. Dinosaurs went extinct because they just couldn't change, I think I'm in trouble.

2 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Most of what you are saying is going way over my head. I’ll just stick with playing with old vehicles. :D 

Oh pff, you should know about this stuff.

When I didnt have the ability to work on a car, salvaging computers from the trash to build a decent gaming machine with free PC parts is all I did. Built two decent machines out of all those parts. The one I am using right now is a tall server tower I found that someone was tossing from the 90's that had all sorts of antique SCSI equipment that I actually still have and it came with a copy of Windows2000. I since tossed a dell inspiron board from a friend in and went as crazy as I could with it and its been a champ since.