Misfit_MJ build

1991 2WD MJ Jeep with 4.0HO & 5speed

Goal - Street friendly 4WD truck, with a killer audio system.

Plans - 4WD conversion with HP D30 & 8.25 axles - Transmission 4wd AX15, T case,not sure yet

Phase one - Locate 8.25 axle / Build 8.25 axle with 4.56 gears and locker (lunchbox or ARB)

142070170_10219687971013191_1481581469808341020_o.jpg

• Misfit_MJ changed the title to Misfit_MJ build

Change of plans on the build for Axles, found a killer deal on a 31spline 8.8(with 3.55s and Disc Brakes) setup for an XJ with matching HPD30 locally. Deal comes with front and rear drive shafts from the XJ.  Now just need to figure out wheel spacers, gearing and locker for rear axle for now.      

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/17/2022 at 1:02 PM, Misfit_MJ said:

4wd conversion question? In my area (DFW TEXAS), I'm not seeing many XJs  with AX15s. Do see plenty of 4wd XJs with autos... Should I buy an XJ with and auto to swap over, of still try to locate a ax15 from an XJ or TJ.

auto or manual is entirely a personal decision.  it may take some time to locate an AX-15, but I'm sure you will eventually. :L:  there are some threads on man-auto transmission swapping in here:  

• 7 months later...

Been busy, but picked up an 8.25 (27 spline) rear axle(Ford 8.8 didnt pan out) . In the process of converting it to 29 splines (not going over 33s) with ebay shafts and an open carrier from a 97 XJ. Also picked up 4.10 gears and  a Spartan locker  for  a crazy low price. Nothing fun to show yet, just cutting off shock brackets and leaf spring perches. Hopefully soon can start working on the hidden winch front bumper and get the 8.25 swapped in. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You probably have already got the rca cables run, but here’s what I found works. The area behind the radio is pretty limited on space, but as fiatslug87 said it’s very much  doable. I used an electricians fish tape to pull all my wires through, but a coat hanger will work just fine. Tape the wire to the end of the coat hanger and feed the other end down and out of the dash. Then all you have to do is pull it all out :thumbsup: