Anyone know anything about Land Cruisers?

Torq_Shep

Might have a chance to buy one fairly cheap. It is a black 1996, owner died, sitting at a mechanics shop, no title (obviously).

I don't really have a need for one but it might be a nice fix and flip if I can get it really cheap. 

21 minutes ago, Pete M said:

nice!  :D does it work?  was the mechanic finished with it?

The mechanic knew nothing about it just that it had been sitting on the lot for 10 years...

So far I know it needs a battery, tires, and a fuel pump. 

Just now, Smokeyyank said:

All I know is people love them, they go forever and decent offroad machines.

This.  It's a Toyota so it has a tendency to stick around for a while.  They have a die hard following so even if it turns out to be a poor fit you shouldn't have a hard time unloading it.

My buddy had a 90-something model for a few years.  His biggest complaint was that it was a turd in terms of performance.  It's a big, heavy vehicle with an underpowered engine.  It's not bad for offroad use, but stinks as a daily driver with poor fuel economy.

Regardless, I wouldn't mind owning one!  Good score!

10 hours ago, terrawombat said:

His biggest complaint was that it was a turd in terms of performance.  It's a big, heavy vehicle with an underpowered engine.

I swear that is every Toyota truck ever. My buddy bought a brand new Tacoma TRD pro and my Cherokee would run circles around it.

If it has no title consider it parts only unless you go through the very complicated process of getting a replacement title. 

that being said if you can get it cheap and then get a title for it you should be able to make pretty good bank of of flipping it. 

personally I would see how cheap I could get it, not spend a dime more on it untill I had a title, then do some work on it and resell a running land cruiser for a nice profit. 

6 minutes ago, Sir Sam said:

If it has no title consider it parts only unless you go through the very complicated process of getting a replacement title. 

that being said if you can get it cheap and then get a title for it you should be able to make pretty good bank of of flipping it. 

personally I would see how cheap I could get it, not spend a dime more on it untill I had a title, then do some work on it and resell a running land cruiser for a nice profit. 

It is Texas. All of my Comanches had no title. Getting a bonded title is trivial. I did 2 in 2020, and another one in 2018. It costs an extra $150 and has about 3 extra steps to it. 

I owned a 1996 Toyota Lancruiser in the early 2000s.  Excellent vehicle.  The only issue I ever had with it was the quarter windows leaked during heavy rain.  When I had mine, the Landcruiser was knows as the vehicle you want to drive when you absolutely, positively have to get the serum to the villagers.  They're built well, like our Jeeps, and should go 300k miles on the original drivetrain,