MJ Bumper options

22 hours ago, krustyballer16 said:

I think there is already a page for this.

But dirtbound offroad makes some awesome bumpers. I've ran them for a few years now.
Their rear bumper looks way better than jcr's

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Wow, you're right. That's a great looking rear bumper. I like it a lot more than the JCR.

21 hours ago, OldSch88L said:

If you like stock looking stuff BadDadFab does a really nice stock front bumper with an integrated winch receiver, and of course, the good ol' Westin/Fey rear bumper. Otherwise, theres JCR, Dirtbound, Ares Fabrication, Hanson and Nates for custom stuff that I know of.

That BDF front mount is exactly my speed.

Do you know if the front bumper requires fender cutting?

I like those mounts that poke through for D-Rings. And I like the ability to hide a winch behind there.

52 minutes ago, Kheltic said:

Wow, you're right. That's a great looking rear bumper. I like it a lot more than the JCR.

The JCR one has been around a good while and their stuff is really top notch. The DBO bumper is very similar in design and it looks like many aspects were copied from the JCR. I like the license plate area for the DBO one but there is a big difference in the D ring tabs on those two. The JCR ones are much thicker. The JCR also does a great job of protecting the corners. The DBO has those little add on corner armor pieces but the bumper itself doesn’t wrap around the corner. I’ll take some pics of mine in a bit

2B55FB0D-DD4D-4D11-8621-B570E4FB5E1E.jpeg

BFA61E70-4B3D-499E-B933-775DB63E78DF.jpeg

1 hour ago, ghetdjc320 said:

The JCR one has been around a good while and their stuff is really top notch. The DBO bumper is very similar in design and it looks like many aspects were copied from the JCR. I like the license plate area for the DBO one but there is a big difference in the D ring tabs on those two. The JCR ones are much thicker. The JCR also does a great job of protecting the corners. The DBO has those little add on corner armor pieces but the bumper itself doesn’t wrap around the corner. I’ll take some pics of mine in a bit

2B55FB0D-DD4D-4D11-8621-B570E4FB5E1E.jpeg

BFA61E70-4B3D-499E-B933-775DB63E78DF.jpeg

I see what you're saying. And I agree, the wider bumper protection is the one thing I liked better.

I like that the DBO bumper keeps my license plate there. And also allows for their hitch to mount below it (definitely need to tow with my comanche)

Also, those side pieces offered by DBO actually solve another problem that I have...

The rear corners on my bed are full of rust holes. Figured I could sand down, repair, and paint what I can, then put those guards on.

(Unless I can find someone with a short bed for sale that's in better shape than mine... Or even the rear quarters to cut and weld in place. I thought about cutting the bed on my 87 LWB but it's got such a clean body and frame that I can't bear destroying it)

20201216_153746.jpg

I see what you're saying. And I agree, the wider bumper protection is the one thing I liked better.

I like that the DBO bumper keeps my license plate there. And also allows for their hitch to mount below it (definitely need to tow with my comanche)

Also, those side pieces offered by DBO actually solve another problem that I have...
The rear corners on my bed are full of rust holes. Figured I could sand down, repair, and paint what I can, then put those guards on. (Unless I can find someone with a short bed for sale that's in better shape than mine)
Where you located? Lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

On 12/30/2020 at 7:22 PM, Kheltic said:

That BDF front mount is exactly my speed.

Do you know if the front bumper requires fender cutting?

I like those mounts that poke through for D-Rings. And I like the ability to hide a winch behind there.

I'm not following you; why would the bumper require fender cutting? It uses the stock bumper so it shouldn't interfere with the fenders. You may have to cut the holes for the fairlead and whatnot in your bumper though

6 hours ago, OldSch88L said:

I'm not following you; why would the bumper require fender cutting? It uses the stock bumper so it shouldn't interfere with the fenders. You may have to cut the holes for the fairlead and whatnot in your bumper though

It doesn't require cutting. I checked with BDF. Figured I'd ask because every single other bumper out there seems to require cutting. 

Ultimately I decided on the JCR DIY because it had better rear clearance than the DBO. This was after I bolted my draw tight hitch on and saw how low it hung. 

I wish I had a better license plate provision, but after some Moab wheeling I’m glad I have the rear clearance I do. The long rear end of the MJ needs everything it can get to stay up high. 

On 11/16/2020 at 4:51 PM, Tex06 said:

I'm currently considering a BadDadFab BTSB winch mount

Winch: Yes

Prefabricated

BadDadFab

https://www.facebook.com/Baddadfab/

Looks pretty cool and allows a winch mounted without changing the length of the truck. The newest addition is D-rings that stick thru the bumper and tie back to the unibody giving you a nice anchor point. $400 plus shipping seems pretty reasonable too.

95919585_658277111411625_3478680118258302976_n.jpg.083beea155c6f98c80a30ea4b432a9b4.jpg95598637_658277128078290_4677282718931746816_n.jpg.9d95cc421d4e81c4a0fa12bcffe3f0a3.jpg491119981_bdfbumper.JPG.41eec354231c4c8e428a1113e7860dba.JPG

I like this!  

On 1/8/2021 at 9:00 AM, Sir Sam said:

Ultimately I decided on the JCR DIY because it had better rear clearance than the DBO. This was after I bolted my draw tight hitch on and saw how low it hung. 

I wish I had a better license plate provision, but after some Moab wheeling I’m glad I have the rear clearance I do. The long rear end of the MJ needs everything it can get to stay up high. 

Definitely agree. I run the JCR built rear bumper and use a receiver hitch license plate adapter. Works great and my clearance is much better than most.

On 1/8/2021 at 4:11 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

I run the JCR built rear bumper and use a receiver hitch license plate adapter.

Tell us more! Did you build it yourself, or is it on the market?

I was considering modifying the JCR DIY rear bumper to add a license step pocket.

3 hours ago, BeatCJ said:

Tell us more! Did you build it yourself, or is it on the market?

I was considering modifying the JCR DIY rear bumper to add a license step pocket.

Bought it off of Amazon just searched for “receiver hitch license plate”. There is also a mount for a license plate on the d ring tabs from quadratec. 

5 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Bought it off of Amazon just searched for “receiver hitch license plate”. There is also a mount for a license plate on the d ring tabs from quadratec. 

Thanks. I think I'll do my own, I think I can make it a little more secure and rattle free at the same time. Great place to start from, though.

Just now, BeatCJ said:

I think if that had nutserts, or nuts welded to the back side of the pin holes, I would feel more secure. Great idea, though.

I’ve got an extra license plate in the cab lol. Plus here on island many vehicle don’t even have plates so theft hasn’t been an issue. You could use the safety nuts also like I use for my KC lights

15 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Keep forgetting to post up a pic of my license plate setup:

0007D36F-F367-48CB-B70A-767768B5379C.jpeg

5DC638B3-200C-4DCF-BCEB-E8AB78819120.jpeg

No light required over the plate? I've been pulled over more than once for that with my ex-military truck.

2 hours ago, BeatCJ said:

sounds like Guam is pretty relaxed on that. I have been pulled over, too. I would use a pair of the LED bolts, they are simple to use and wire.

Yep I used those bolts before too. No nobody cares about the light here. Never had an issue with it in Austin either