What type of cam?

After a wuicj search, I wasn’t able to come up with anything. Does a 96 4.0 have a roller type can or a flat tappet cam? I ask because I need to know if I need to add an additive for the cam. 

Thanks in advance. 

9 hours ago, JMO413 said:

Flat tappet

8 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

All 4.0’s are flat tappet. 505 performance makes a roller cam and crower used to make one as well. There are slight pattern changes between various years though. 

Thanks guys!

9 hours ago, Car Enthusiast said:

Does 505 still exist?

Last I heard, yes. Had several dealings with Zach there and wouldn’t recommend them though. If someone needs a roller cam, I’d check with Russ Pottenger but I don’t think there will be much gain on a 4.0. Depends on what you want to do with the engine.

1 hour ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Last I heard, yes. Had several dealings with Zach there and wouldn’t recommend them though. If someone needs a roller cam, I’d check with Russ Pottenger but I don’t think there will be much gain on a 4.0. Depends on what you want to do with the engine.

Yeah I have never messed with them because of the overall bad rap they had. Hadn't heard of them in a while and had figured they went under.

1 hour ago, Car Enthusiast said:

Yeah I have never messed with them because of the overall bad rap they had. Hadn't heard of them in a while and had figured they went under.

The free money has kept a lot of businesses doing much better than they normally would though. In all fairness, he’s just swamped and doesn’t have any solid help that knows what the products. It’s great that he keeps trying to bring new things to the market but the business is poorly executed. 

51 minutes ago, 75sv1 said:

This is basically for vehicles 2004 and newer. 

Source? I am an emissions researcher, Catalyst coatings have not changed significantly since 1981 and all catalysts that focus on hydrocarbon reduction (Gasoline three-way and Diesel Oxidation Cat) can be poisoned by zinc. It was not a huge issue until vehicles started getting better and surpassing the old 100k and 150k mile durability limits as the zinc introduced to a cat through oil consumption is relatively low even with a high ZDDP%. 

Modern anti-wear additives and break-in lubricants are just as good as old high ZDDP oils and lubricants. Additionally, the break-in period for his camshaft even if he used a high ZDDP break-in lube should not be super bad but he will want to change the oil relatively quickly to a standard oil to preserve his cat. 

I think the diesel truck oils have enough zero with an additive. Seems like Rotella, Delvac and Delo oils are good enough for both break in and long term use. It's all a trade off, I don't mind replacing a cat at 75,000 to save my cam.

28 minutes ago, BeatCJ said:

I think the diesel truck oils have enough zero with an additive. Seems like Rotella, Delvac and Delo oils are good enough for both break in and long term use. It's all a trade off, I don't mind replacing a cat at 75,000 to save my cam.

So, basically, giving up 25K miles for a $60 part. I saw an oil test rating from Blackstone Labs. The T6 Rotella was near the top on two modern engine platforms.