• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

that is very cool

Thanks.

83 J20.  One owner, belonged to local ski hill.  They scrapped it, the owner of the yard saved it for me.  

360 4bbl edelbrock t19 granny low sun bro’s 4 speed 4x4 with a Dana 44HD front and Dana 60 full floating rear and 3.73’s, factory buckets but plain Jane otherwise.

I've got all the parts accumulated to put it back to a full truck and do a resto mod keeping the drivetrain and running gear.

that was the first time it had been started in a couple decades.

4 hours ago, JeepcoMJ said:

Thanks.

83 J20.  One owner, belonged to local ski hill.  They scrapped it, the owner of the yard saved it for me.  

360 4bbl edelbrock t19 granny low sun bro’s 4 speed 4x4 with a Dana 44HD front and Dana 60 full floating rear and 3.73’s, factory buckets but plain Jane otherwise.

I've got all the parts accumulated to put it back to a full truck and do a resto mod keeping the drivetrain and running gear.

that was the first time it had been started in a couple decades.

My brother has 2 J10s

3 hours ago, JeepcoMJ said:

Not in an 83 j20.  May be correct on transfer case, and I’d even say probably are.  But it’s a t19 for certain, and it’s stock. 

If it is in fact a T19 it's not stock.

Jeep never used the T19.  They used the T18 (close ratio) and T18a (wide ratio with the granny gear).

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/t18-t19/

All J20 manual trucks starting in 1980 used the T18a.  All J10s starting in 1980 used the close ratio T176.  70s J trucks had the T18/Dana 20 combo.  Some close ratio, some wide ratio.

That doesn't mean it couldn't have been swapped at some point but it didn't roll off the assembly line that way.

1 hour ago, derf said:

https://www.advanceadapters.com/tech-vault/1-borg-warner-t18t19/

This one indicates that the T18 in the J20 only ran through 1982.  So it's maybe a swapped in Ford unit in an 83.

Regardless, the T19 was only stock in Ford and IH trucks.  It never came from the factory in a Jeep.

still wrong.  This truck is now 2 owner and was ordered as it is.  It’s never had custom work beyond the dealer installed service body.

1 hour ago, JeepcoMJ said:

still wrong.  This truck is now 2 owner and was ordered as it is.  It’s never had custom work beyond the dealer installed service body.

Let's see the casting numbers on the transmission and the tag on the transfer case.  That will answer the question definitively.

15 hours ago, derf said:

Let's see the casting numbers on the transmission and the tag on the transfer case.  That will answer the question definitively.

Sure, in about 5 months when I go back and get it out of storage to drop off and have it rebuilt.

As it sits, I had someone who worked at the AMC plant in Kenosha 30 minutes away (who is a J truck fan) look it over, and advise me of what it has.  Combine that with the old jeep dealership parts master who is a J truck aficionado advising the same thing, I'll go with their recommendations as to what is in the truck :wavey: